• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Be cautious when using cost as your main criteria. I'm not a computer geek by any means but when our expensive Toshiba laptop took a dump last fall we bought a cheaper version as a backup. That has got to be the slowest computer I've ever owned. Neither one of us like to use it due to its "speed", never mind the features and software it doesn't have! Of course someone will be along shortly to call me out for dissing Toshiba. . . . .

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're not in a hurry go to Fry's in Fishers and see what they have. They always have a decent selection of budget laptops on sale. Go to Fry's.com and sign up for their email alerts and promo codes. With the code you can get even more money off their sale prices. I signed up for daily emails and get their ad every morning. I'm always finding something good in the ad and the promo code makes it even better. Bought my daughters Acer laptop there a year or so ago for about $350 and it's been working great for her. She's very satisfied with it.
    Here's a link to yesterdays ad.
    Frys.com Email Campaign 03.27.16!

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    NEWEGG.COM they have remans check often. i got a hp for my sons bday 2.1 2 core 4 gig ram 160 gig hard drive win 7 professional for $140 similar to my laptop thats 5 yrs old

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    What ever you do for this budget buy, STAY AWAY from AMD. Their higher priced stuff may be ok but their budget processors suck.
    I have a Lenovo with an AMD processor. I hate it, I paid 300 for the laptop and it has done me well but I will never ever again get an AMD processor.

Also, check out groupon as they have had some "deals" on laptops.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What ever you do for this budget buy, STAY AWAY from AMD. Their higher priced stuff may be ok but their budget processors suck.
    I have a Lenovo with an AMD processor. I hate it, I paid 300 for the laptop and it has done me well but I will never ever again get an AMD processor.

Also, check out groupon as they have had some "deals" on laptops.

That's probably the issue with my cheaper Toshiba, Powered by AMD! At least there's a legit reason now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Three critical things you should get to have a relatively good performing system:
    3rd Generation or newer Intel Core I5 or I7 processor, doesn't matter which one, for what you want to do they will all have enough processing power. The processor model numbers will all start with 3xxx. The number of processor cores matters less than clock speed for what you will be doing.
    8 GB of RAM or more. If you really must skimp you can probably make due with 4GB.
    ~250 or more GB FULL SSD This one is the critical one. This is the single greatest performance impact you can make on a modern computer. Don't fall for a hybrid SSD or something similar, they are not the same thing. Screen size and other things are up to your personal preference.

Check ebay and outlet centers for good prices. Dell and Lenovo both have dedicated outlet storefronts.
    Dell Outlet | Great Prices on Laptop, Desktop and Tablet PCs | Dell
    Lenovo Outlet*| Lenovo US

My current work laptop (Dell Latitude E6530) fits the above and is still blazing nearly 4 years later. I have an older generation system with an SSD at home and while it isn't as fast as my work laptop it will still well enough to not be annoying. Be mindful of what you install on the computer and it should treat you very will in return.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    That's probably the issue with my cheaper Toshiba, Powered by AMD! At least there's a legit reason now.

I upgraded the ram in mine to the max thinking it would make a difference. Nope. After doing alot of reading I realized it was going to be this way until I get new :(

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I upgraded the ram in mine to the max thinking it would make a difference. Nope. After doing alot of reading I realized it was going to be this way until I get new :(

Yeah I looked into upgrading this one and found out that it isn't upgradeable so just decided to deal with it until we decide to replace it with a better unit.

Top Bottom