• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I've got a buddy that is looking to put up a backstop for a range in the corner of his property. Are there any rules or guidelines one should follow to determine how large or deep the backstop should be?

Any guidance is appreciated!

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    The range i shoot at has 2 rows of tires filled and covered with dirt. I've never seen an exit hole on the back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As long as you are not inside the limits of a municipality, and as long as rounds don't leave your property, I believe you are o.k.

I've seen many private ranges in Indiana, all constructed differently, and none with any problems. I've also never heard of a statute or regulation discussed by the owners/makers of these ranges.

My guess would be, if you restrict it to PRIVATE use, and do NOT try to charge admission, you will be just fine.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Berm is solid dirt, about 10 ft thick, and 6-8 ft high.....

Grant County ordinance requires a shooter to be at least 100 ft from any roadway, and rounds may not cross any roadway. Your county may, or may not have an ordinance. If they do have an ordinance, I'd suggest you keep a copy on the range site. Many local Sheriffs Deputies may not be familiar with a given ordinance.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was told that if you can get the guys trimming the county trees to dump their wood shavings in a pile on your land, they make a great interior to your berm, once you cover them in dirt. I think the thing I heard was that you plow up an area for the berm with a bobcat or some such, get the shavings however high you need them, and push the dirt back up and over them. You might need some fill dirt to finish covering.

I also like the old dead tires idea.

Blessings,
    Bill

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Somebody should give him a recommendation for an appropriate distance behind his berm, in which no houses or roads should occupy.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    POST "NO TRESSPASSING" EVERYWHERE! INVEST IN SOME TYPE OF GATE AS WELL!

If Joe Schmo drives by and decides to take a few shots at your range and injures himself or someone else (by shooting over or around your backstop), I wouldn't want guess the legal entanglements you might be subject to.

In most places, swimming pools are required to have a fence as they can be considered an "attractive nuisance". I would guess a home built range could as well.

We have signs posted on every tree of the property line and a locked gate at the drive.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom