• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Our next step is purchasing buckets and mylar bags.

I was changing the kitty litter tonight and had a thought: if I'm going to be keeping the foodstuffs in the SEALED mylar bags, is it necessary to have a sealed (airtight) bucket?

We accumulate several kitty litter buckets per year. Acquisition would be no problem at all. And they have a better shape for storage than the traditional round 5-gal bucket (IMO).

Could I use them?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Why not, at least if you didn't put used kitty litter in them. they just held clay granules. Was 'em out good and go to town.

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    The mylar bag (with O2 absorber) protects the food. The bucket protects the mylar bag from punctures, ect. As long as the lids fit tight enough that rodents or bugs cannot enter...go for it.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I prefer the bucket lid to have a seal too. Just in case. I get my buckets from Tractor Supply and buy lids at Home Depot. Those lids are the only ones I can find local that have a seal on them.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I don't think it would hurt, but *I* wouldn't do it. Since it's going to be food and you don't know what kind of chemicals are absorbed into the plastic since lots, but not all, kitty liters are chock full of chemically goodness...

If saving the $$ is that important go for it, but for about 6-10$ each you can get a new food grade bucket and lid.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't think it would hurt, but *I* wouldn't do it. Since it's going to be food and you don't know what kind of chemicals are absorbed into the plastic since lots, but not all, kitty liters are chock full of chemically goodness...

If saving the $$ is that important go for it, but for about 6-10$ each you can get a new food grade bucket and lid.

How would the chemicals get to the food?

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Walmart bakery has given me about 15 food grade (frosting) buckets and lids so far in the last 3 weeks. Free.......Square, similar to the kitty litter shape ( I think ) . Free.......

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

Mylar bags block like 99.99% of water/oxygen, but they don't block all of everything. When storing something in the bag for LONG TERM 1-20years *I*
    don't want to chance one of the bags ripping or one of the chemicals in the plastic leaching into the bag.

I will admit it's probably me being a bit paranoid, but with the food I'm putting into my body an extra couple of $$ is worth it to me.

And on the final note, I've always been able to find local sources for buckets, last one was an orchard selling off cider buckets at a dollar a piece, with gasket-ed lids! So if you don't want to spend the 6-10 for new ones you could always blook for a source of used foodgrade.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

I think the theory is that somehow the chemicals leach through the mylar bags into the food .

As a side note , if your buckets don't have rubber seals you can make them easily out of the screen seal material easily found at anyplace that sells screens .

Every screen door / window has a round rubber seal that holds the screen in place .

I'm pretty sure it isn't "food grade" but you can buy it like $4.00 for a 20' roll .

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    If it's in Mylar, it shouldn't matter that the bucket is not food grade. We have several buckets we aquired free from the Sam's Club bakery...just an option if looking to save $$ on buckets.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I have found a great place to buy 3,5, and 6 gallon buckets with air/liquid lids. Worms Way in Bloomington just south of Martinsville just off of 37. The buckets are food grade, on top of that you can look into Indoor Gardening to help with preparation and they have a great selection of seeds FYI.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

When you open the mylar bag to use less than 5 gallons of oats/beans/rice/flour/whatever for that first meal, will you have power to reseal the mylar bag? If not, where will you store the bag? If it's in that cat-litter bucket (scented?), you might not enjoy the next 30 meals out of that bucket quite as much as the first.

Personally, I put food directly in food-grade buckets with a "GammaSeal" lid on the "current use" bucket for each food type.

Mylar is an extra layer of protection, and I might start doing that, but I would never use a litter bucket. :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When you open the mylar bag to use less than 5 gallons of oats/beans/rice/flour/whatever for that first meal, will you have power to reseal the mylar bag? If not, where will you store the bag? If it's in that cat-litter bucket (scented?), you might not enjoy the next 30 meals out of that bucket quite as much as the first.

Personally, I put food directly in food-grade buckets with a "GammaSeal" lid on the "current use" bucket for each food type.

Mylar is an extra layer of protection, and I might start doing that, but I would never use a litter bucket. :twocents:

I don't intend to use 5-gallon mylar bags. So there. ;)

Top Bottom