• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Although I have eaten there several times, I don't know much about the area. I have a relative (employed single female, 25) looking at buying a house 2 blocks south of downtown Broad Ripple. What's the area like??? Safety???

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I don't know if its gotten any better, but it seems like about 6 months or so ago there were reports on the news frequently about crime and attacks in the Broad Ripple area.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The idea of living in Broad Ripple is going to seem cool and exciting to a 25yo single female, and she ought to be able to live wherever she damn well wants, but I don't think I'd recommend my 25yo single female relative live within a 2 block radius of the Broadripple main drag. But she isn't going to listen to you, so she sure isn't going to listen to me.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The idea of living in Broad Ripple is going to seem cool and exciting to a 25yo single female, and she ought to be able to live wherever she damn well wants, but I don't think I'd recommend my 25yo single relative live within a 2 block radius of the Broadripple main drag. But she isn't going to listen to you, so she sure isn't going to listen to me.

Thank you.

That's why I'm asking, you Indy people will know more about it than I will. Looking for ammo to use one way or the other.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The idea of living in Broad Ripple is going to seem cool and exciting to a 25yo single female, and she ought to be able to live wherever she damn well wants, but I don't think I'd recommend my 25yo single relative live within a 2 block radius of the Broadripple main drag. But she isn't going to listen to you, so she sure isn't going to listen to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the side streets within a few blocks of 62nd are not well lit and are where most of the late night hold-ups happen. That being said, I like BR and overall it pretty safe. But if she looks further south, like between 49-42nd streets she can probably get twice the house at half the price.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Broadripple isn't the worst place on the planet to live. That said, there is a fair amount of property crime in the area (burglary being the primary concern) as well as opportunity crime like robbery and rape. There are just enough knuckleheads in that area that I wouldn't want to live there...that and that you have to drive through the thick of knucklehead-opolis to get there (mostly coming from the south and west). A 25yo female who has a level head and keeps it on a swivel will probably fair ok there, but again, it's not for me.

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I go to school in Broad Ripple, and I won't go unarmed. A couple of weeks ago I was approached by a big Black man asking for "prayers"....yeah, I was praying all right! There was another guy peeing by the dumpster... I would strongly recommend she look a little further away than just a couple of blocks. Too many bars, parking is beyond a nightmare, even for residents, and I am sure that property is more expensive just because it is BR...whoopee. Just my :twocents:, from a female perspective.

jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Yeah, he probably has a lot less to fear than a single, 25 year old female. It's not worth the risk and having to live on high alert 24/7.

I am very familiar with the area. As with almost anywhere you should be cognitive of your surroundings.

Op, fortified bunkers are not a dime a dozen around here. Regardless of what these guys say if you can't make it in broad ripple you aren't going to make it anywhere.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If my 25 yo daughter wanted to live 2 blocks south of the main strip, I'd do my best to talk her out of it. If she then decided to live there, I'd lose a lot of sleep at night.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There have been break ins there, people have been robbed and been killed there. Find an area of Indianapolis where the same can't be said. I don't think it exists, but if someone knows of an area, please share.

I've had a few friends held up over there. Makes sense though. Poor coordination, fuzzy memory, drunk people would seemingly make an easy target.

I ended up leaving the Broadripple area because I got tired of the traffic, and the fact there is no easy way to get in and out of the place.

In my opinion property values there are inflated.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    There have been break ins there, people have been robbed and been killed there. Find an area of Indianapolis where the same can't be said. I don't think it exists, but if someone knows of an area, please share.

I've had a few friends held up over there. Makes sense though. Poor coordination, fuzzy memory, drunk people would seemingly make an easy target.

I ended up leaving the Broadripple area because I got tired of the traffic, and the fact there is no easy way to get in and out of the place.

In my opinion property values there are inflated.
    No robberies or murders on my street in the 26 years I've been here!

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A couple of years ago there was the 30 something woman that was killed in her apartment. Beaten to death if memory serves. And wasn't it last year that a couple of guys were pistol whipping people as they left the bars. Most of the crap seems to center around the bars.

I wasn't saying broadripple was bad. I don't think it's better or worse than anywhere else. Situational awareness is required everywhere.

I still maintain there's no convenient way to get in and out of the area :)

It appears my dates were off.

The violent robberies were 2010. Story Here
    The apartment assault was 2007. Story Here

Last edited:
    Top Bottom