• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    On the way to work this morning I passed a Brinks truck exiting a building, there was another Brinks guy standing out front, gun drawn down, looking around head on a swivel style.

Anyone work for Brinks in the past, or ever notice them doing this before? Is it common practice for them to un-holster and guard the truck? It's not the best neighborhood, but I didn't think it was a war zone out there....:tinfoil:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think I saw a driver with a long gun out once. Can't remember the company but he walked into the store with it.
    i also don't have a problem with it,
    but I always make sure it's a real armored car driver when I see them and not some loon dressed up to gain entry and to shoot a place up

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thumbs up for the guy. I look at it this way, he doesn't know the neighborhood and his partner is going to be carrying over a million dollars in cash ( a guess true, but still a bag a cash is a wonderful target). Ready for anything and hope nothing happens.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    On the way to work this morning I passed a Brinks truck exiting a building, there was another Brinks guy standing out front, gun drawn down, looking around head on a swivel style.

Anyone work for Brinks in the past, or ever notice them doing this before? Is it common practice for them to un-holster and guard the truck? It's not the best neighborhood, but I didn't think it was a war zone out there....:tinfoil:

I worked for one of the local companies. That is not SOP, however it does happen. I have done it before when I've come out of a door into a breezeway and "Thugs" want to block the way intentionally. Technically you are not supposed to unholster your weapon until you are ready to use it but it does happen.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I work at Brinks. Yes it is SOP anytime the garage door is open we will have at least one gaurd with a weapon upholstered or a long gun.
    I would like to know how it makes them an easy target? We have enough awareness to notice people close enough to pose a threat. Well unless we have some snipers camped out on some roofs!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember as a kid in the 1960's commonly seeing the Brinks truck at the local bank.

They'd have one guy carrying the money bags, a second guy with a drawn revolver and a third guy with a shotgun walking on either side of him.

On a more humorous note, a few years ago I was up visiting and came out of that same bank just as two Brinks guys were bringing in some bags.

Like a wiseass, I smiled and asked "hey, is there any free samples?"

One of them looked ay me liked he'd heard it a MILLION TIMES, shook his head and said "NO, there's no free samples!".

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I work at Brinks. Yes it is SOP anytime the garage door is open we will have at least one gaurd with a weapon upholstered or a long gun.
    I would like to know how it makes them an easy target? We have enough awareness to notice people close enough to pose a threat. Well unless we have some snipers camped out on some roofs!

You misunderstood my statement. WIMTSW a guy out in the open holding a bag of cash may appear to be an easy target to some with less than honorable intentions. Good on him to make it apparent that he is, in fact, not an easy target.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I remember as a kid in the 1960's commonly seeing the Brinks truck at the local bank.

They'd have one guy carrying the money bags, a second guy with a drawn revolver and a third guy with a shotgun walking on either side of him.

On a more humorous note, a few years ago I was up visiting and came out of that same bank just as two Brinks guys were bringing in some bags.

Like a wiseass, I smiled and asked "hey, is there any free samples?"

One of them looked ay me liked he'd heard it a MILLION TIMES, shook hishead and said "NO, there's no free samples!".

I was at the mint when they were printing 100's.
    One of the employees had a sign taped to his machine that said
    "How do you think I feel. I just printed my annual salary in 0.5 seconds".

(Not sure of the actual time but it was funny).

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I don't care if they have one guard by the door with a scattergun and the guard carrying the cash bag in his off hand and holding his firearm in his strong hand.

Seen half a dozen 'hits' on armored trucks over the years. Including 3 in Las Vegas in a 12 month period, and one at a K-mart in Hammond, IN. years ago (late 70's IIRC).

Sadly, I would disagree that 'most' guards are up to the job. JMO, but MOST of the armored car companies pay the guards next to nothing, and are known for hiring 'less than professionals' for the job BECAUSE they pay next to nothing.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You misunderstood my statement. WIMTSW a guy out in the open holding a bag of cash may appear to be an easy target to some with less than honorable intentions. Good on him to make it apparent that he is, in fact, not an easy target.
    Sorry I did misunderstand your post. I know people see our guys as easy targets, but we are pretty well trained. We aren't armed to protect the money, it's for self protection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...JMO, but MOST of the armored car companies pay the guards next to nothing, and are known for hiring 'less than professionals' for the job BECAUSE they pay next to nothing.

Pretty big of you to post that slap in the face when another member just posted that was their profession. :noway::nono:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    There was a bank that got hit regularly in Malibu, CA. By the time we left CA they had a private security guard that was outside with a gun in hand all the time, and another inside with a holsteredgun.

I always wondered how much one's hand would sweat with a gun in it all day, and how much accuracy would suffer from a fatigued hand. Maybe it was irrelevant because it was supposed to be a deterrent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    a big YES!
    I walked passed them unloading gold ingots at a bank in Chicago.
    There was several skids of 4 inch square and 3 ft long gold ingots.
    They had very heavy weapons drawn.
    I asked the guard if it was what I thought it was.
    He said, YES.
    I asked if I could just touch one.
    He said Ok, if I did not need that hand anymore. then he smiled and said, well you would not be able to use any hand any more.
    we both smiled. then i said well I can say I was this close.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I don't care if they have one guard by the door with a scattergun and the guard carrying the cash bag in his off hand and holding his firearm in his strong hand.

Seen half a dozen 'hits' on armored trucks over the years. Including 3 in Las Vegas in a 12 month period, and one at a K-mart in Hammond, IN. years ago (late 70's IIRC).

Sadly, I would disagree that 'most' guards are up to the job. JMO, but MOST of the armored car companies pay the guards next to nothing, and are known for hiring 'less than professionals' for the job BECAUSE they pay next to nothing.

I work in the Armored Transportation Industry and have never read such an ill informed bunch of speculative crap!

I can only assume you seen these hits on your Magnavox sucking on a brew while scratching yourself.

Guard / Reserve and X-Military and or Criminal Justice Majors make up the majority and a significant portion put more lead down range in practice, pleasure and competition than any Law Enforcement Agency could ever justify budgetary wise.

On the whole the character of my coworkers instills a great degree of confidence given our uniforms should come with bright orange targets painted on the back.

BTW, we make much more than "next to nothing"!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    a big YES!
    I walked passed them unloading gold ingots at a bank in Chicago.
    There was several skids of 4 inch square and 3 ft long gold ingots.
    They had very heavy weapons drawn.
    I asked the guard if it was what I thought it was.
    He said, YES.
    I asked if I could just touch one.
    He said Ok, if I did not need that hand anymore. then he smiled and said, well you would not be able to use any hand any more.
    we both smiled. then i said well I can say I was this close.

Not to call shenanigans... but a 3' long gold bar? Never heard of such an animal. (and apparently neither has Google) Can you cite an example? Because anything 3' long seems rather inefficient to store unless the length is an advantage to its design (like a pipe, structural member, etc) Not to mention 4"x4"x3' seems like it would be damn heavy... maybe too heavy to move easily. |

:popcorn:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I work in the Armored Transportation Industry and have never read such an ill informed bunch of speculative crap!

I can only assume you seen these hits on your Magnavox sucking on a brew while scratching yourself.

Guard / Reserve and X-Military and or Criminal Justice Majors make up the majority and a significant portion put more lead down range in practice, pleasure and competition than any Law Enforcement Agency could ever justify budgetary wise.

On the whole the character of my coworkers instills a great degree of confidence given our uniforms should come with bright orange targets painted on the back.

BTW, we make much more than "next to nothing"!
    I've seen wages for some armored car employees (when I came back stateside looking for a job) and I was like **** that! Not gonna be shot at for 9 or 10 an hour. I don't see how things have changed that much since then but I'll take your word for it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Not to call shenanigans... but a 3' long gold bar? Never heard of such an animal. (and apparently neither has Google) Can you cite an example? Because anything 3' long seems rather inefficient to store unless the length is an advantage to its design (like a pipe, structural member, etc) Not to mention 4"x4"x3' seems like it would be damn heavy... maybe too heavy to move easily. |

:popcorn:
    Gold member! Duh :):

Top Bottom