• ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Google Maps

WTHR just had a small segment. Soldier living at Keeneland Crest apts had his truck broken into. Not much of a story. But they said some items belonging to the US Army were taken. They mentioned kevlar something, but I wonder if there was more to it. I see no online article.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    " They mentioned kevlar something..."

Interesting bait-line. Brings up the question of WHO IS DENIED BY LAW the possession &/or wearing of body-armor? Is there Fed., NFA-based, or Indiana statute against such?? Discuss also buying and selling. Thanks. Pat.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is there Fed., NFA-based, or Indiana statute against such??

I'm not aware of any prohibitions on law-abiding folks owning or purchasing armor, though many if not most outlets will not sell to non-LE/mil/gov types for liability reasons. Some have a "credentialing" policy but will accept a copy of your LTCH as credentials, and a few have an open sales policy but require you to sign a disclaimer.

In Indiana, it is a crime to wear body armor during the commission of a felony.

IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Interesting bait-line. Brings up the question of WHO IS DENIED BY LAW the possession &/or wearing of body-armor? Is there Fed., NFA-based, or Indiana statute against such?? Discuss also buying and selling. Thanks. Pat.
    No anyone can own it. Can't use it in the commission of a felony however. Most supply stores won't sell to non-leo's however. You can get them online but you better have your exact measurements cause if they do not fit perfectly they won't protect you as well.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Article on line now.
    Also video.
    Thieves break into south side vehicles - WTHR |

Jeremy Brilliant/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - Thieves may have gotten more than they bargained for when they broke into several vehicles Saturday night on the south side.

The break-ins happened on the south side at the Keenland Crest Apartments, near Stop 11 and I-65, with the theft not only from individuals, but also from the United States government.

The shattered windows and shards of glass show where thieves broke in and helped themselves.

Rhees Ross, a victim of the break-ins said, "I come out here, windows smashed up, everything's gone. Looks like I'm going to have about a thousand dollars worth of loss here."

Things like an Ipod and sunglasses. "Like they pried something into here and broke the window out and climbed in and-unlocked the door, climbed in and took out stuff," Ross said.

Craig McNeal's truck was broken into as well, "My Garmin GPS, the MP3 player, the Zune MP3 player was missing."

But the thieves also took a few other things from his truck.

"Some body armor, kevlar helmet, and some cold weather gear from the back of the truck are missing," explained McNeal.

The soldier moved to Indianapolis ten days ago from Fort Bragg, North Carolina for Army training at Camp Atterbury.

It's a frustration after just getting settled in, "I just want my stuff back pretty much!," he said.

Between insurance and the Army, his gear will be replaced.

As for one of the other victims, "This is the second time this year and my apartment got broken into earlier this year."

Now he has some advice based on personal experience, "Take all your stuff out of your vehicle every time you go into the house."

Or at least--if it's in the vehicle, police suggest, keep it out of sight.
    COMMENT OF NOTE:

I also live on the southside (Southport and Emerson area-- Overlook at Valley Ridge) and just got broken into about 3 weeks ago. They shattered my car window and stole my GPS. However, in addition to breaking into my car, they broke into my apartment as well while my roommate and I were BOTH HOME and in our bedrooms. They stole all of our electronics out of the living room. It's very startling and scary that people have the nerve to do this.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    While I do have sympathy for those who have been broken into, I just have one question. Why do we leave our electronics, Army gear etc in the vehicle for thieves to steal?
    I live in Indianapolis, so crime is no stranger to me, even had our home and car and garage broken into. In the case of hubbies car it was as simple as replacing the window as there was nothing there to steal.
    Just curious why putting things in a glove box or wherever sounds like a good idea?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i cant imagine a better place to store gear im responsible for, and is very expensive, than in the back of a truck. good work soldier.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom