• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I didn't even read the actual complaint.
    However, IMHO I think it is rediculous if they will only accept a "DL" and not a state ID. My girlfreinds brother is 24 years old and has never had a drivers license, he joined the military when he was 18 and his wife drives. He has never felt the need to have a "DL" and though it would seem he should have one, he dose not!
    Are you telling me that even though this man has served his country for the past 6 years, that bradis would choose not to sell him a firearm? Her other brother is 20 and has not yet gotten his either.
    There is various reasons why people loose, or don't obtain their Drivers License and I think find snobby rules like this quite obnoxious. It may not matter to bradis what I think seeing as I live up North and MWGE right here, but comeing from a legal beagle with a pocket full of licenses this sort of thing would steer me elsewhere.
    Someplace a little less snooby. :twocents:
    I'm gonna read the complaint now.:D
    -BTW, he had no issue picking up a P229 at MWGE not that they are super down to earth as a whole.

Last edited:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Between needing a DL and no checks, I'd say Bradis got burnt one too many times. Their business, they get to make their rules.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ithis sort of thing would steer me elsewhere.

Good luck with that. Bradis is one of the most laid back places you can find. I've personally watched their folks bend over backwards to patiently explain gun stuff to newbies even when the newbies have made it clear they aren't in there to buy. I've never seen them be condescending or to push stuff on folks, and have watched them give advice that meant the listener wound up spending less money.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ah well, I don't have the mod superpower that lets me know when the same folks post under different accounts.

All he's really doing is making himself look like a jerk.

No super mod powers required. VUPDBlue knows Bradis' assistant manager and likely heard the story first-hand.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I didn't even read the actual complaint.
    However, IMHO I think it is rediculous if they will only accept a "DL" and not a state ID. My girlfreinds brother is 24 years old and has never had a drivers license, he joined the military when he was 18 and his wife drives. He has never felt the need to have a "DL" and though it would seem he should have one, he dose not!
    Are you telling me that even though this man has served his country for the past 6 years, that bradis would choose not to sell him a firearm? Her other brother is 20 and has not yet gotten his either.
    There is various reasons why people loose, or don't obtain their Drivers License and I think find snobby rules like this quite obnoxious. It may not matter to bradis what I think seeing as I live up North and MWGE right here, but comeing from a legal beagle with a pocket full of licenses this sort of thing would steer me elsewhere.

When a business opens it's doors to the public to sell a good or service, they get to make up their own rules on how they choose to conduct business. A customer cannot force a business transaction upon the business simply because the customer is of legal qualification to own a firearm. If a bar has a rule of no mustaches, they can refuse service to anyone breaking THEIR rule. That's what is so awesome about living in the United States...we still have freedoms to operate our businesses and lives without government intervention.
    Don't like the policies of a business, go elsewhere, but to fire ill words toward a business simply because they have particular rules is somewhat childish.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Don't they have a unique identifying number?

They do, it's called an IDN on the Indiana Identification Card (and a DLN on the driver's license).

Both are xxxx-xx-xxxx numbers.

You get both at the license branch these days and with the new ID requirements I don't think either is materially superior to the other in terms of verifying identity. Both cards contain virtually the same information with the exception of the IDN/DLN number (and even that is just a different term). Both have issue/expiration dates, both have name, address, dob, sex, hgt, wqt, eyes, hair, and transaction numbers. Both cards have the same security features as far as I know (UV light stuff, 2D bar code, etc.).

Frankly, I don't see much distinction. Maybe Bradis doesn't want a person buying a gun and then driving home illegally. ;)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    My only complaint about Bradis is this...

DIRECTLY from the Bradis website it says...

"stop in and ask for old, ugly Ichabod"

Well, last year I did EXACTLY that...except I called. When they answered the phone I asked for "old, ugly Ichabod"...after I said that the guy on the other end acted like a complete ass and treated me like some punk prank phone caller.

...needless to say that encounter did make me go elsewhere....AND MAKE A (VERY LARGE) PURCHASE

Take it off your website if you don't actually want or expect people to do it. :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We had a new guy here several months ago that went asymptotic over this same fact

If I'm thinking of the same person/complaint/incident, it was not a new guy; it was an old guy under a new screen name, just looking to make trouble. He got himself banned (again). I agree with VUPDblue that the same person is the one who posted to HT.

Bradis' store policy is that we will not accept an Indiana ID card as a valid form of identification for the purposes of purchasing a firearm, except under certain circumstances, such as active-duty military stationed in IN, or a verifiable medical condition that prevents one from obtaining a driver's license.

This policy comes directly from the owners and has been in place for some time. There are notices explaining this policy posted in several conspicuous locations around the shop.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I guess the old saying "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" in effect. And I bet an ID card may be easier to abtain and or counterfit. Probably dont have one just for the disabled. Dont really know but if its posted its the way it is. Just never heard anything bad about them. surprised me

there is no difference between the two, aside from a driving test.....same requirements, same documents needed to obtain one, same style of card as the license......idk why they would have a policy like that:n00b:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    there is no difference between the two, aside from a driving test.....same requirements, same documents needed to obtain one, same style of card as the license......idk why they would have a policy like that:n00b:
    That's how it is NOW. It hasn't always been that way...

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Used to be for the state issued ID you didn't need to show proof of citizenship or legal immigration status. Residence status only required a very basic envelope addressed to you at the address you were using for card.

Addendum; not all of those cards have expired yet.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Used to be for the state issued ID you didn't need to show proof of citizenship or legal immigration status. Residence status only required a very basic envelope addressed to you at the address you were using for card.

Addendum; not all of those cards have expired yet.

oic, didn't notice any of those were still floating around.....but after they are gone, what would be the difference? Sorry, still trying to fathom a reason:popcorn:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    oic, didn't notice any of those were still floating around.....but after they are gone, what would be the difference? Sorry, still trying to fathom a reason:popcorn:
    Depends when the new verification was implemented. That I don't know, was working out of state for a while. The ID cards are good for the same time frame as a DL.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When a business opens it's doors to the public to sell a good or service, they get to make up their own rules on how they choose to conduct business. A customer cannot force a business transaction upon the business simply because the customer is of legal qualification to own a firearm. If a bar has a rule of no mustaches, they can refuse service to anyone breaking THEIR rule. That's what is so awesome about living in the United States...we still have freedoms to operate our businesses and lives without government intervention.
    Don't like the policies of a business, go elsewhere, but to fire ill words toward a business simply because they have particular rules is somewhat childish.

You are right about that. I owe you some rep. I buy everything from Bradis and even if I don't necessarily agree with that particular rule, I recognize that it's a business and they do have the right to run it as they see fit and I have the right to shop or to not shop there.

I would probably shop there even more if Pistolpacknmomma were there more often. :D

Top Bottom