• ...and so much more!
  • brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    :popcorn:

Thought we did this all for fun? Competition is competitive, BUT I didn't see anyone at the shoot that got a trophy, or money for that matter.

Long story short, while this was the first time this match was ever done; it was bound to be a learning experience. I think everyone that put this together did a great job and I want to let them know it's appreciated.

As far as leveling the playing field- while I completely agree there needs to be some sort of regulation it could be hard to draw the line. Then before you know it there will be classes and divisions like other events (USPSA etc). Which would require a lot of people to make the classes deep enough to not have 2 or 3 in each division. (I suppose that's where the other bay and targets would come into play?)

I personally thought this event was great for what it was.

I understand where you are coming from Brutalone, and not trying to press anyone's buttons otherwise.

Regardless of the details, who would rather sit at home in the winter than come out and shoot! :ingo: :ar15:
    Exactly... I was simply expressing a concern that several shooters had about the consistency of shooting and my own personal skills were attacked....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I guess this is where I get to cry about driving an hour and a half each way. Only to loose after only getting in 15 shots. Oh wait, I was on that loosing target, that must be it.

I don't think so.:rolleyes:
    A big thanks goes out to Freeland and MCFG staff for putting on the match! I look forward to the next one!

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I guess this is where I get to cry about driving an hour and a half each way. Only to loose after only getting in 15 shots. Oh wait, I was on that loosing target, that must be it.

A big thanks goes out to Freeland and MCFG staff for putting on the match! I look forward to the next one!

I just thought I'd let you know that when I showed my gf the video of the shoot, she said you talked a lot!

So this leads to my question..should I be worried that she remember not only your voice, but your name after only meeting you once? :laugh:

:stickpoke:

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis

I guess my argument has been lost.... never mind.... Enjoy further shoots....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just thought I'd let you know that when I showed my gf the video of the shoot, she said you talked a lot!

So this leads to my question..should I be worried that she remember not only your voice, but your name after only meeting you once?

She MUST be mistaken about the talking a lot part. I do get that a lot from terribly pretty young ladies though. :):

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps it depends on how the plate was set in there. I know I was not the only one who experienced the issue and there was at least one reshoot due to the plate not popping out.

The new TX Star has a different plate design than the club's older TX Star. The design change was due to the manufacturer getting complaints about plates not falling out consistently. Before the next match we'll try to do a test using a new plate on the top arm of the old target to see if that reduces or eliminates the problem.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well I had a great time and I only shot twice. John thanks for doing something fun and different. It is people like you that make clubs successful.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well it looks like I was late to the party... that was some debate about fairness and equality.

I've been going to the Bowling Pin matches forf about 5 months now, and wanted to give John and the volunteers a thanks for the time they spend organizing this event.

So, Thanks!

CB45

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Exactly... I was simply expressing a concern that several shooters had about the consistency of shooting and my own personal skills were attacked....

Sorry some guys busted your chops about the star; I'd agree that neither star worked 100% perfectly this time. The left star tended to occasionally hang up on the top plate, and the right target tended to either balance slightly off to one side, or to continue spinning. Our volunteers will work harder next month to help minimize these issues, but we're at the mercy of the equipment sometimes.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    I thought the match was very cool, i do like bowling pins but i think i like the stars alot more. I shot a glock 19 with 115 gr ammo and the plates fell off every time i hit em. Thanks to the people who put this on and i would definately attend another match like this.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    My 9mm didn't knock a single plate off either star and I'm pissed about that. I'm not pissed at the stars, or at anyone but my self! (for not attending) I didn't realize the event was going on until it was over. (again, my fault for now seeking out event schedules). It looks like you guys had a great time, and from the videos I've seen on Youtube I can't wait to go shoot bowling pins/stars at my next opportunity!

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to become a member of MCF&G next Tuesday! (missed the last new-member signup for the same reason I missed this shootout!) I need a more organized social planner. (again, me!)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    :popcorn:

Thought we did this all for fun? Competition is competitive, BUT I didn't see anyone at the shoot that got a trophy, or money for that matter.

Long story short, while this was the first time this match was ever done; it was bound to be a learning experience. I think everyone that put this together did a great job and I want to let them know it's appreciated.

As far as leveling the playing field- while I completely agree there needs to be some sort of regulation it could be hard to draw the line. Then before you know it there will be classes and divisions like other events (USPSA etc). Which would require a lot of people to make the classes deep enough to not have 2 or 3 in each division. (I suppose that's where the other bay and targets would come into play?)

I personally thought this event was great for what it was.

I understand where you are coming from Brutalone, and not trying to press anyone's buttons otherwise.

Regardless of the details, who would rather sit at home in the winter than come out and shoot! :ingo: :ar15:

We did do it for fun. But if you have a winner and loser, it's a game, which is a competition. If it wasn't a competition, one could just go to the range and shoot the star all day for practice.
    Just because one doesn't win a prize doesn't mean one didn't win.

I don't think we need classes or divisions. Show up and shoot, 8 rounds max, no optics. Shoot whatever gun you have that you shoot best.

IMO, YMMV

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    We did do it for fun. But if you have a winner and loser, it's a game, which is a competition. If it wasn't a competition, one could just go to the range and shoot the star all day for practice.
    Just because one doesn't win a prize doesn't mean one didn't win.

I don't think we need classes or divisions. Show up and shoot, 8 rounds max, no optics. Shoot whatever gun you have that you shoot best.

IMO, YMMV

I think revo guy inspired me to get a revolver lol. That guy came out of know where. Maybe i just havent seen him in the past but i will be looking out for him next time. But that being said, hell of a time. Looking forward to the next one.:ar15:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think revo guy inspired me to get a revolver lol. That guy came out of know where. Maybe i just havent seen him in the past but i will be looking out for him next time. But that being said, hell of a time. Looking forward to the next one.:ar15:

I saw Bob get on a drop turner a little late with his second shot and cut the target in half, from the edge.

Bob can shoot.:patriot:

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    I saw Bob get on a drop turner a little late with his second shot and cut the target in half, from the edge.

Bob can shoot.:patriot:

Im a very competitve person, which is always a good thing. I looked at our semi finals match a dozen times and you got me by about a second or less. But you clearly got me. Im not mad. I was very satisfied with my performace and it being my first time. But i have the up most respect for my fellow shooters. :ar15:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It isn't typically the design of any steel target to fall/activate with just any hit. Edge and other off-center hits typically won't fall a steel target with 9mm ammo. Maybe it's the shooter and not the prop?:dunno:

While a "solid" hit is ideal, I don't necessarily agree w/ blaming the shooter if a plate doesn't fall.

I realize this little match is not uspsa, and it doesn't sound like the rules for these cases are defined for this match, but in uspsa, an edge hit IS a hit (except poppers). If it doesn't fall, it's a MANDATORY reshoot. That includes stars.

So if I'm shooting plates, I expect the plate to fall if I call a hit ANYWHERE on the plate. This typically isn't enforced well, incl at majors. What typically happens is 1) the shooter shoots it again and no one makes the call it's a REF or 2) it gets scored as a miss or 3) the RO "gives" the hit to the shooter.

but that's another game's set of rules... so this match needs to define to it's rule for these situations so it's customers know what to expect....

-rvb

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While a "solid" hit is ideal, I don't necessarily agree w/ blaming the shooter if a plate doesn't fall.
    -rvb

Just so we're all clear, I'm not saying the blame should have fallen on the shooter exclusively. I've had plates hang on that prop before (but not this match) and each time I resigned to it to me not delivering. All I asked was for one to ask themselves if they did their job before letting the prop take all of the blame.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    Just so we're all clear, I'm not saying the blame should have fallen on the shooter exclusively. I've had plates hang on that prop before (but not this match) and each time I resigned to it to me not delivering. All I asked was for one to ask themselves if they did their job before letting the prop take all of the blame.
    I personally never said the prop should take any of the blame. I simply said that if you want a LEVEL (which was discussed in great detail as far as equipment shooters could use) playing field..... The props should work the SAME!!!!!!!

Does that not sound like a good place to start??????

I am so very glad your extreme prowess with a firearm lent you such ease in removing plates from the devils wheel's very own left hand...... but still.... it seems to be the consensus of other shooters that the 2 stars had 2 very different reactions when shot..... and to have a (once again, this was greatly discussed prior to the match) LEVEL playing field this matter could possible be addressed.....

Top Bottom