• ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello Chizzle

What is the min Cal. that one can shoot in texas star events.

I'm not sure what minimum caliber we'd want to use. If a person uses a 22 it may work sometimes, but there is the possibility that the plate could get hung up too. If it were me, I'd recommend a minimum of 9mm / 38 spl, but ultimately, I leave those decisions up to our Match Directors as they are the ones that have to deal with the ramifications of those decisions. My goal here is not to micro-manage, especially when our Match Directors are all people who are volunteering their time.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Here's an option:

I shoot a match every Sunday during the season. With other things to do on Sat and grandkids, I really can't shoot two matches a weekend. In a perfect world, you bet, I'd be shooting two every weekend.

I shot this one because it was
    1. Texas Star and
    2. No other matches, the season hasn't started yet.

Would an evening during the week work out better for folks?

I know not everyone shoots as many matches as I do and you'll never make it perfect for everyone.

As far as the format, two bays, each with two stars and each with a crossover plate would be ideal IMO.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello

The reason I asked about min. Cal. is that Collin my son was reading on here and asking about it. He shoots in some of the FNS shoots. Hes not
    shooting large cal. yet. The recoil of the 9mm is still a bit much for him.
    Hes already working me to bring him up to the next shoot.

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    It was my first time out for a bowling pin match the stars were a ton of fun. Thanks to all who made it happen!

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I see a lot of suggestions for improving the match..... I think we should start by making the star that was on the left more 9mm friendly. I know I had to hit the top plate either twice or high of dead center to get it to barely slide out.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I see a lot of suggestions for improving the match..... I think we should start by making the star that was on the left more 9mm friendly. I know I had to hit the top plate either twice or high of dead center to get it to barely slide out.

I shot the left side three times during that match and was shooting a mild load with 115 gr bullets. I didn't have the first issue with that top plate coming off (unless I just missed it).

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I shot the left side three times during that match and was shooting a mild load with 115 gr bullets. I didn't have the first issue with that top plate coming off (unless I just missed it).
    Perhaps it depends on how the plate was set in there. I know I was not the only one who experienced the issue and there was at least one reshoot due to the plate not popping out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here's an option:

I shoot a match every Sunday during the season. With other things to do on Sat and grandkids, I really can't shoot two matches a weekend. In a perfect world, you bet, I'd be shooting two every weekend.

I shot this one because it was
    1. Texas Star and
    2. No other matches, the season hasn't started yet.

Would an evening during the week work out better for folks?

I know not everyone shoots as many matches as I do and you'll never make it perfect for everyone.

As far as the format, two bays, each with two stars and each with a crossover plate would be ideal IMO.

I'll second everything Bill said.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps it depends on how the plate was set in there. I know I was not the only one who experienced the issue and there was at least one reshoot due to the plate not popping out.

It isn't typically the design of any steel target to fall/activate with just any hit. Edge and other off-center hits typically won't fall a steel target with 9mm ammo. Maybe it's the shooter and not the prop?:dunno:

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    It isn't typically the design of any steel target to fall/activate with just any hit. Edge and other off-center hits typically won't fall a steel target with 9mm ammo. Maybe it's the shooter and not the prop?:dunno:
    Well, it feels good to me that I saw others have the same problem then.... I do know that after a few rounds.... Competitors were running for the right target and avoiding the left like a plague.....

Or maybe I was just hallucinating.....:dunno:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, it feels good to me that I saw others have the same problem then.... I do know that after a few rounds.... Competitors were running for the right target and avoiding the left like a plague.....

Or maybe I was just hallucinating.....:dunno:

I saw it, also. But, that didn't stop me or a number of others from knocking that top plate off, first.

I understand your frustration - that same thing happened to me with a 12ga and that target. That was when I wasn't doing my job as the shooter. All I'm suggesting is for one to look at themselves first before placing blame on the target.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I saw it, also. But, that didn't stop me or a number of others from knocking that top plate off, first.

I understand your frustration - that same thing happened to me with a 12ga and that target. That was when I wasn't doing my job as the shooter. All I'm suggesting is for one to look at themselves first before placing blame on the target.

There were a number of suggestions, pre shoot for leveling the shooting field via type of handgun.

What was found in shooting, most preferred shooting the right target.

a level field can not be achieved without exacting targets.

Period

I am not frustrated at all in my performance...

I was shooting a completely stock Glock 19 and still out performed others....

I am simply saying.... IF we want a level playing field.... THERE should be no difference between the 2 targets.....

and as was seen in the shooting....

one moved more than the other.....

and one was considered to be "stubborn" to drop...

anyone who wishes to refute this can feel free to go heads up with me.... I pick my target and type of weapon.... and you take the "stubborn one" with a Glock 19 and WWB 115gr 9mm.... and we can shoot for 10 bucks a heat.... :):

Last edited:

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    :popcorn:

Thought we did this all for fun? Competition is competitive, BUT I didn't see anyone at the shoot that got a trophy, or money for that matter.

Long story short, while this was the first time this match was ever done; it was bound to be a learning experience. I think everyone that put this together did a great job and I want to let them know it's appreciated.

As far as leveling the playing field- while I completely agree there needs to be some sort of regulation it could be hard to draw the line. Then before you know it there will be classes and divisions like other events (USPSA etc). Which would require a lot of people to make the classes deep enough to not have 2 or 3 in each division. (I suppose that's where the other bay and targets would come into play?)

I personally thought this event was great for what it was.

I understand where you are coming from Brutalone, and not trying to press anyone's buttons otherwise.

Regardless of the details, who would rather sit at home in the winter than come out and shoot! :ingo: :ar15:

Top Bottom