• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Anyone have any experiance bow fishing ? I was thinking about trying it out but have no clue as to the equipment that I would need other than the bow.
    Also is there anywhere in central IN to go and is it legal to bow fish on state lakes.

pokey308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    New Palestine, IN
    i got into bow fishin about 3yrs ago. havent been able to go out as much as i like in the past year due to work schedual. equipment wise just about any archery department has some reels, reel seats, arrows to get started. as for the bow dont use one that will whoop your butt after like 5 shots. i use the ams fishking or whatever its called which is built for bowfishing but its also on the pricey side for a beginner. i would advise a 15-30# recurve, they are great for snap shots. as for the reel and stuff go with the ams retriveal system, its not cheap but its well worth it. plus you get everything from the lind to reel to arrows. as for legal and where you will have to check local lake laws and you can do it in just about every creek and river. just check the dnr fishing regs for boundry lines. i use to hit up white river alot. FULL OF CARP, which is about all you can bowfish for. hope that helps and i almost forgot aim low.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I do most of my fishing from the stern...

Step-dad is in the bow operating the trolling motor.

-J-

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I used to do quite a bit of bowfishing for large carp in Lake Michigan. My bow of choice was a 60# Martin recurve with a taped on line holder, the kind you do by hand. It was my experience that with the larger fish you want the arrows with retractable heads on them since the ones with the fixed wire type had a tendancy to pull out of the fish easily. I don't know how large of a fish are in the streams but for the bigguns I would use a full leather glove on my shooting hand. Mainly for winding them in. Those buggers put up a hell of a fight even with an arrow in them and winding one in can cause the line to cut your hand.

Gonefishin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    It has been several years since I have had a chance to go, but I always would look forward to lots of rain in the spring time. When the river would flood the bottom lands in the spring, the carp would go crazy. There were times that you had so many around you that you could pick and choose which ones you wanted to shoot at. They come up to the top of the water and will stay there for a short period of time, just long enough to get a good shot. We started using my flat bottom boat with a foot controlled trolling motor, which really made it nice. We would tye our first one on a rope, drag it from the back of the boat, and you couldn't shoot them fast enough. MY buddy used recurve and I used my old compound. I bought a rod that screws in where the stablizer goes and spooled a old Zebco 33 with 60lb test line. This is much easier then having to pull them in by hand. Just like fishing, but you better hold on when you stick a big one. One of my most favorite things to do in the spring. Also, try to get an arrow with the big wings on the head. The ones with only the wires are ok for the smaller fish, but I have lost many big one because the arrow would pull back out of them. Good luck and Enjoy!

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    Not a big archery guy myself, but a freind of mine owns J&M Outdoors and he had not only a bow for him set up, but all the extras to set another bow(s) right or left handed up. On his throphy wall was a photo of his, then, recent catch of carp. While I was in there another coustomer came in and bought enough equipment to set his bow up to fish and an extra arrow.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have done a lot of bowfishing I just used my old compound bow set on 50lbs and by my arrows and stuff from gander mountain. My son prefers a recurve so I picked one up at the pawn shop 45lbs for him, twenty five dollars. I drilled the front and mounted a bowfishing reel on it. We both like the one you just pull in the string and hand wind it on the reel. We try to keep it cheap but have a lot of fun doing it. Almost any small stream or creek have carp in them we just wade slow and shoot them like that. I have done this for about thirty years and still enjoy it. If I can help in any way you can PM me if you would like. Also all you need is a fishing permit. Have Fun.

Top Bottom