• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    How many of you plan on using this tool if the shtf? Will you take it along if you bug out? Personally, I probably wouldn't bug out with it due to the awkwardness of carrying it, but if bugging in, it's going to be my main tool as far as hunting goes. It's much quieter, and arrows can be replenished if you know what you're doing. Of course, there are down sides, and if my family is starving I'd probably take the SKS for increased range, but I want to avoid detection as much as possible. Thoughts?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    How many of you plan on using this tool if the shtf? Will you take it along if you bug out? Personally, I probably wouldn't bug out with it due to the awkwardness of carrying it, but if bugging in, it's going to be my main tool as far as hunting goes. It's much quieter, and arrows can be replenished if you know what you're doing. Of course, there are down sides, and if my family is starving I'd probably take the SKS for increased range, but I want to avoid detection as much as possible. Thoughts?

I picked up a cross bow recently. I don't know what I'll do with it if SHTF. I will take it if for no other reason because of the ninja factor and the fact that I can make bolts for it.

In regard to your hunting statement, I've got a question (not trying to thread jack you). How long do you really think there will be game to hunt? I mean, in Allen County, there are about 12K deer and 300K people. The deer, squirill, bunny, bird, etc. population is going to dry up awful quickly with those kind of odds. I'm not sure I would count on game availability in my food plans if SHTF.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    In regard to your hunting statement, I've got a question (not trying to thread jack you). How long do you really think there will be game to hunt? I mean, in Allen County, there are about 12K deer and 300K people. The deer, squirill, bunny, bird, etc. population is going to dry up awful quickly with those kind of odds. I'm not sure I would count on game availability in my food plans if SHTF.

This observation, that hunting will be a very unreliable food source does bear repeating here. Buying and storing food now is critical to any realistic shtf plan.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I would suggest looking at one of the bows that easily breaks down into 3 parts. It becomes small, light, and easy to carry. They usually don't cost that much (if you don't go over board). I would also throw a couple back up bow strings in with it.

I am by no means a bow expert or even use a bow regularly. But it is an extremely simple weapon that is easy to maintain and make ammo for. My bow may not be a marksman bow but, in SHTF any bow is better than no bow. IMO

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have both bows and crossbows.I will offer a little friendly advice.If you get one for SHTF,learn how to shoot it now.Waiting until the SHTF to learn is probably not a good idea.
    Even my daughter(13 now)has learned how to properly shoot a bow thanks to the Johnson county 4H program :)

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    When you are talking about SHTF scenarios, you have to think outside the box along with statistics.

There are 20 million whitetail deer in the US and 300 million people. That is a pretty grim statistic, but in a SHTF scenario, depending on the initial casualty rate, I would be willing to guess that less than 50% of folks will live past 6 months.

That also doesn't include all of the rabbits, fish, squirrels, rats, wild boar, alligators, mule deer, elk, cattle, buffalo, moose, etc...

I agree that if we are to go back to pioneer days, we won't have a couple of quarter pounders every night, but I would think I could get meat at least 2-3 times a week.

I gree that storing food now is the way to go, but I am still going to plan on hunting when I can.

This observation, that hunting will be a very unreliable food source does bear repeating here. Buying and storing food now is critical to any realistic shtf plan.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

That is a very good point, and one that needs to be thought through, but I guess when I plan for shtf, I plan for long term, say, the rest of my life. Of course, that's more about skill sets than it is about equipment, and if I plan on having a bow for the rest of my life, I'd better learn to make one from scratch, but here's my point. Eventually people will die, and the deer population will replenish. Until then, I'll live off of stored food, but I am trying to be ready for as many different possibilities as I can. Maybe I'm being a little overzealous though. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Yes. However, I feel the Crossbow is a better pick, due to it's relative ease in aiming, compared to the Bow, both of which takes practice, but it's appearant that the bow requires more skill.

I would take both.

Purpose, to silently destroy those who appear to do harm, hunt with the relative ease of retrivel or creation (renewable)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes. However, I feel the Crossbow is a better pick, due to it's relative ease in aiming, compared to the Bow, both of which takes practice, but it's appearant that the bow requires more skill.

I would take both.

Purpose, to silently destroy those who appear to do harm, hunt with the relative ease of retrivel or creation (renewable)
    A crossbow does take some skill to learn.Cocking a crossbow is a crucial skill.Not understanding how to cock it would pretty much throw off every bolt you shoot,and you would have no reliable aim point.Practice,practice,practice.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We have both bows and crossbows.I will offer a little friendly advice.If you get one for SHTF,learn how to shoot it now.Waiting until the SHTF to learn is probably not a good idea.
    Even my daughter(13 now)has learned how to properly shoot a bow thanks to the Johnson county 4H program :)

Very good point as I keep saying I am going to get a bow of my own for SHTF purposes but I never have. The reason I never have is simple....I am HORRIBLE with a bow and that is without a doubt. If I had to bet on me getting shot with the arrow or a deer then I would say its 50/50 right now:n00b:

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i think a bow is a great tool to have in the tool bag. i agree that you should learn to shoot it now. i would also like to point out a few other things about bows for a shtf purpose. first shooting them in the backyard in an open space is cool but keep in mind if you plan on B.O. its like having a cross on your back and that is a pain in the woods. 2nd if the bow is a compound bow you are not going to rig a new string or make a new cam if it breaks.3rd i saw in a post in this thread that said you could make more bolts for you bow PLEASE look into to that first. you will find out thats a bad idea. bows now days are nothing to play with. i have a Z7 and it will not shoot a cheap wal-mart arrow. the arrows i shoot are made to take the pressure that bow puts out, jerry rigging an arrow or bolt with out knowing whats up is a bad deal and could get you hurt or killed. do what you want but please check in to what you have first i wouldnt want anyone getting hurt over bad info. plus when you look at the weight and hasel vs reward just get a 10/22 and 1000 rounds, about the same weight and easier to shoot and carry. what ever you do just be safe :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If you have the room to store it, take it with you if you have to keep moving, then why not? Otherwise I wouldn't. I can take much more variety of game with my 10/22 and easily take thousands of rounds with me. While true the large game is limited in deer around here, there is so much more small game to take, game that can be easily taken with one .22 shot through a scope.

But if you can add it somewhere ahead of time in a storage place somewhere that you are headed, keep it there. You can always use the bow and arrows for other things you might need to do (handy cutting blades, bowfishing) in an emergency other than hunting

Top Bottom