• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Picked up a cheapo cement mixer at Menards tonight. It's still in the trunk but I may go out tomorrow and put it together. I've burnt up vibratory tumblers so I thought I'd step up to the big boy. :D

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    A few buddies and I have been using them for a few years now. It's a good idea to make yourself a lid or use Glad press'n seal in a pinch saves a lot of mess.
    Bob

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    I used to use cement mixers for case tumblers back when I worked in the Custom ammo business... They work great and can do thousands of rounds at a time.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got the mixer put together a little bit ago. It's a 3.5 cubic foot model. I put almost 2 5 gallon buckets full of cob in it and there is still plenty of room. I put 200 or so pieces of 223 brass in to see how it does. My cob is a little too coarse so I have a feeling I'm going to have to dump out each case and clean the primer pockets out but I couldn't wait to give it a try. For $200 I don't think I could go wrong.

How did you guys make your lid? I was thinking about welding a nut in the center and using some all thread for a post. I could then cut out a circle from plywood or something and use a big wingnut to tighten it down with. I think the drum is thin enough that I don't want to try to use my stick welder and weld the nut on.

I'm thinking of a latch to use but I have no idea what it's called or where to buy them. It's a flat piece of metal about 3/8" wide with a slight arc. It has one end bent over into a hook. It fits into a slot on the other piece. You flip the lever over and it pulls tight. Anyone?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here are some pics. I took one with my hand for scale of this thing. My hands are huge. I took a pic of the brass to show how big the media is. A little too big for 223.

tumbler001.jpg

tumbler002.jpg

tumbler003.jpg

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    We cut some 7mm steel in a circle to match the outside of the mixer lid, welded it and used draw latches to fasten a solid wood lid to the opening. Same concept for a cob strainer. And we did some mods to the inside to the mixer too. Good luck. Mixers work great if you have the room. Dump into a wheel barrow works great. And you can mix about a whole 5 gallon pail of brass in the thing!

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I like the concept but how loud is it? Also, is there a big difference in the amount of time it take to polish in this compared to a tumbler?

Thanks

Super38

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I like the concept but how loud is it? Also, is there a big difference in the amount of time it take to polish in this compared to a tumbler?

Thanks

Super38

It isn't really any worse than a vibratory tumbler on noise.

The only cases I've ran through it were ones that I've sized and had lube on. I ran them about 3 hours or so and they looked pretty good. I just put in new cob without any polish.

I think you could put 2-300 bmg brass in here if you wanted to.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Slightly off topic, but how big/what type of tumbler would I be looking for to use on .40 brass? I'm not a reloader, but I may be soon.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler

This is what I use and I think it does a great job. (up to 1,000 .38 cases, so I would say maybe a few more .40's.)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    This is so hilarious. I thought about doing this at one point, but don't really have the space for it. I hate processing brass, so anything that makes it go quicker is +1 in my book.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    It isn't really any worse than a vibratory tumbler on noise.

The only cases I've ran through it were ones that I've sized and had lube on. I ran them about 3 hours or so and they looked pretty good. I just put in new cob without any polish.

I think you could put 2-300 bmg brass in here if you wanted to.

I was wondering what kind of polish do you use?
    I used to use Brasso until I found out it has ammonia in it.

cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Great idea....what about media? I also do woodworking and have wondered if the saw dust would work as well as corn or walnut. I do create a fair amount....what about mixing it with media or using it as a replacement.....anyone have any ideas?

chuck

Top Bottom