Bought a new rifle: Can you help me identify it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    I recently purchased a Sporterized 8mm CZ VZ-24. I know the gun is obviously sporterized, but I had heard rumor that CZ had factory sporterized some of their rifles. Does anyone know any truth to that? Is there a way to retrieve information about the rifle using it's serial number? It's a beautiful rifle and appears to be very well built. The wood work looks top notch, IMHO, and it shoots really well. I'm very pleased to have added it to my family, I just want to know more about it!

Help me Obi Wan Ken-INGO, you're my only hope!

:ingo: I'm a newb, so take it easy on me!

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Checkering looks hand cut so I would say not factory. Looks sweeeeeetttt to me.

i am on an iPhone in the semi shade at a softball diamond so I will recheck when I get on a real good monitor.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    That's a military stock that someone sporterized. Note the plugged circular area on the right side of the butt where the unit number disc was, and the plugged hole through the wrist where the sling swivel stud went through. Obviously still has the stepped military barrel, and military bolt shroud with aftermarket low-scope safety.

I never heard the story of CZ factory sporterizing their rifles. The serial number might tell a lot. Can you post a photo of the left side of the receiver?

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    Are there any markings on the barrel or back by the action under the scope ?

There's no markings on the barrel other than the serial number (which matches the SN on the receiver), and I have yet to remove the scope and mount to look. There's nothing peaking out from under the mount either. The only visible marking is on the left side of the receiver, "VZ 24." Now, the bolt has an "F2" and an "N" with a circle around it. Not sure on those either.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Over 775,000 VZ24's were produced, and sold to countries all over the world. Some serial numbers have letter prefixes that indicate what country, but yours does not. Information detailing serial numbers was lost when the Germans took over CZ and then lost the war.

The mark on the bolt is a "Z" in a circle, a typical Czech proof.

I'm assuming your rifle is 8mm?

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    Over 775,000 VZ24's were produced, and sold to countries all over the world. Some serial numbers have letter prefixes that indicate what country, but yours does not. Information detailing serial numbers was lost when the Germans took over CZ and then lost the war.

The mark on the bolt is a "Z" in a circle, a typical Czech proof.

I'm assuming your rifle is 8mm?

Yes this is chambered in 8mm.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't generally care for sporterized mil-surps, but this one is very tastefully done. Not your typical bubba hacksaw job.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow, I like it. The stock is mostly the original wood carved down, some additional wood (bottom of pistol grip and cheek rest, addition to length), and checkered really nicely.

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    Wow, I like it. The stock is mostly the original wood carved down, some additional wood (bottom of pistol grip and cheek rest, addition to length), and checkered really nicely.

The wood work is what really caught my eye, along with the double set triggers. I haven't seen to many sporters with this quality. By the way I truly know what they mean by hair trigger with this set up too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I can't really contribute much from an informational standpoint, but that is a gorgeous rifle. I didn't even notice the double trigger the first time I looked at the pics! I bet that is a sweet shooter. :yesway:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    It's a gorgeous rifle for sure, and the double triggers are really cool! It's fun to shoot too, ask me how I know...

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Nice looking Czech. The only things that concerns me is that Bubba removed the front recoil lug and thinned out the wrist area. Depending on how much you shoot it or how hot of loads you use, keep an eye on those area of the stock and watch for cracks.

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    Well, I can't really contribute much from an informational standpoint, but that is a gorgeous rifle. I didn't even notice the double trigger the first time I looked at the pics! I bet that is a sweet shooter. :yesway:

Yeah it shoots very well. I feel the set trigger is a little light for me but it is fully adjustable too. With the 4 power scope and me just shooting it for the first time its just over an inch at 100 yards.

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    thats gorgeous, some one really took pride in there work, i like to know who did it see if it was a professional job.

Yeah I really like the old craftsmanship work on it. You don't see any rifles today made like this unless they are custom safari rifles and shotguns. I was told by a gun smith that some cz mausers after the war were brought back to the factory at cz or brno and factory sporterized. I can't find any info to confirm that or much info on the vz 24 to begin with as well.

Top Bottom