• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    Is there anyway that you can add the members given location along with there site handle (name) so that one could see if it was someone nearby that they could trade with or buy from FTF. I am a member here and on MGO, I live in Indiana during the summer and Michigan during the winter. I stopped using the INGO site because I wasted too much time looking at ads that were too far away to deal. On MGO the posters location is given along with their board name so you can eliminate a lot of classifieds on the index page. Thanks for listening.:rockwoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If a member chooses to put their location in their profile, it will show up under their name. For members like you and I who have chosen not to enter our location, it will not since there is no way for the software to divine our locations.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If a member chooses to put their location in their profile, it will show up under their name. For members like you and I who have chosen not to enter our location, it will not since there is no way for the software to divine our locations.

This.

The current system works well for people who wish to retain some anonymnity, and locations are typically in ads themselves.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    This.

The current system works well for people who wish to retain some anonymnity, and locations are typically in ads themselves.

Which is fine but if you live in Terre Haute and I live in South Bend all I am saying is wouldn't it be nice to click on, let's say, Classifieds- Handguns, and along with the sellers handle is his or her location, sure would eliminate a lot of unnecessary reading.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    I see that it is buried at the bottom of the registration page, probably why I missed it. I added it to my description but it still will not help in classifieds since your location does not show up until one clicks on the ad.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Which is fine but if you live in Terre Haute and I live in South Bend all I am saying is wouldn't it be nice to click on, let's say, Classifieds- Handguns, and along with the sellers handle is his or her location, sure would eliminate a lot of unnecessary reading.

Location is SUPPOSED to be in the add...

For me, if I can't determine location from their log-in info (under their board name) or from the add... I don't bother.

-J-

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I see that it is buried at the bottom of the registration page, probably why I missed it. I added it to my description but it still will not help in classifieds since your location does not show up until one clicks on the ad.

You shouldn't worry about the classifieds anyway, you don't have 50 posts. :welcome: :laugh:

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle

For me, if I can't determine location from their log-in info (under their board name) or from the add... I don't bother.

-J-
    And again I say it would be nice to see the location on the opening page without having to open the ad and looking for it there. I am looking for a reloading press but I am not going to drive to Southern Indiana to buy one. Just would be nice to see that on the opening classified page.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    You shouldn't worry about the classifieds anyway, you don't have 50 posts. :welcome: :laugh:
    I see, you folks do not wish to have any new members in your club, not a problem. This is why I do not visit this site often. I thought the Michigan guys were the ones that wore the tin foil hats but come to find out the hats are made in Indiana and you all have one on.:ingo: SALUTE!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I see, you folks do not wish to have any new members in your club, not a problem. This is why I do not visit this site often. I thought the Michigan guys were the ones that wore the tin foil hats but come to find out the hats are made in Indiana and you all have one on.:ingo: SALUTE!

No, we want new members, but we don't want people to treat this site like craigslist.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Eh, clicking on an add link to have it open in a new tab takes less than a second.

A few more seconds to scan the add for the location...

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me... But, that's me.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

-J-

Beat me to it Jared, I was going to mention that earlier but I got sidetracked.

I'm also with you on your second point, I don't go above and beyond to buy something, the seller has to make an effort.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

There is, for some programs. They go by the IP or the ISP from which someone connects. It's only semi-reliable, though, and I don't know if vBulletin has that function.

Per the Classified rules, though, a location will either be in the postbit (the part with your name and avatar) or in the text of the ad and if not, the ad will either be noted by a mod (or one of the helpful members who scan such things) and corrected by the member or will be removed, probably with an infraction.

I see the point of the question and it's a good point, I just don't know that it can be implemented here or that Fenway wants to do so.

Thanks for the post and :welcome: to :ingo:! Hang around and post some more good stuff; you'll be over 50 in no time.

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom