• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I bought A new smaller utility trailer. I went last week to get the title work done and transfer the plate from my old trailer to my new one. They would not let me transfer the old plate to the new trailer. THe reason was as long as I have the older trailer that it is A state law you must have and keep the plate on the older trailer! What A BULL.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought A new smaller utility trailer. I went last week to get the title work done and transfer the plate from my old trailer to my new one. They would not let me transfer the old plate to the new trailer. THe reason was as long as I have the older trailer that it is A state law you must have and keep the plate on the older trailer! What A BULL.

Remember this...if you let the plate expire on the old trailer and a few years from now want to re-plate it they will charge you all the taxes and fees for the time it sat. All these A$$ Clowns are there for is to get fee's and taxes. They serve no other purpose. This will be next in gun control....fee's and taxes on every sale public and private just like a car/trailer. They want their hands in everything

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    That's because of the excise tax is required for both whether it's plated or not. We don't own anything we're at the mercy of government and that is why I exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So you have to pay tax on a trailer even if you don't ever use it??? What if it's broken apart for five years and then you fix it and replays it for use. You guys are saying you'd owe back taxes on it? Or only if both are in useful condition and you switch plates back and forth?

How does a "dealer plate" for new car test drives or trailer dealerships handle it then?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So you have to pay tax on a trailer even if you don't ever use it??? What if it's broken apart for five years and then you fix it and replays it for use. You guys are saying you'd owe back taxes on it? Or only if both are in useful condition and you switch plates back and forth?

How does a "dealer plate" for new car test drives or trailer dealerships handle it then?

I have had this happen to me. We had a car that I was driving and decided to restore. It was on a spit for over a year and the full process took almost 3 years. Went to renew the plates and got smacked with all the taxes for the whole time I owned the car. It is of no concern to these idiots that is was not being used or why.

A friend got a 1955 Chevy from his grand-father. Titled it and drove it for a short while. It needed a lot of work so he parked it until such time the funds were there to re-store it. 15 years later he was done and ready to re-plate the car. He freaked when they tried to hit him for all the fees. It was cheaper to put it in my name....plate it and then re-sell it to him a year later.
    Our elected officials and bureaucrat's just want to suck us dry.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Awesome ... so when I finally restore my 1953 Chevy pickup and put plates on it the state is going to charge me taxes for all the years it sat in the garage without plates. That is some straight up blue state BS that shouldn't exist in a red state like Indiana.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Remember this...if you let the plate expire on the old trailer and a few years from now want to re-plate it they will charge you all the taxes and fees for the time it sat. All these A$$ Clowns are there for is to get fee's and taxes. They serve no other purpose. This will be next in gun control....fee's and taxes on every sale public and private just like a car/trailer. They want their hands in everything

Coworker of mine bought an old beater from his mechanic because a weird problem was keeping his car off the road. The mechanic had not had it plated in several years so the BMV wanted him to pay all the back taxes on it for the years it wasn't registered. It took him several hours and choice words (which probably slowed the process down...) to finally let him get the plates without the taxes. He'll sell the car back in a few months and I bet the taxes won't be due.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    1) keep mouth shut about old trailer, if asked, you replaced it.
    2) there is a cap on fees, got hit with 7 yrs fees (but lower sales tax rate) when i plated my old jeep.
    3) some branches (and clerks) are more lenient than others. patronize them, just as you would a good lgs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Awesome ... so when I finally restore my 1953 Chevy pickup and put plates on it the state is going to charge me taxes for all the years it sat in the garage without plates. That is some straight up blue state BS that shouldn't exist in a red state like Indiana.

My rant is "It is only about the revenue"......they could give a crap about us.
    This is a prime example. If there is a dollar left in your wallet, they want it.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I recently bought a new truck on Feb 22 and my renewal time is March 7th. I gt charged 2 months of taxes for those 2 weeks and they said my old plate for the truck I traded in was worthless and could not transfer anything over from it. So for one year on my new truck I got charged $550 in taxes. Then they said, be lucky the Indiana lottery is cutting this in half!! I asked them why can't they be like Louisiana and use the lottery money properly and charge $35 a 3 year plate.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That's when you get any old trailer plate and slap it on the back. Pulled over, whoops. Still cheaper to pay the ticket. And that's if you ever get pulled over, never happened before out here.

Top Bottom