• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I found a factory sealed 1lb can of Blue Dot in my reloading cabinet. It was originally purchased to reload 41 Rem Mag, but I no longer have any 41. I currently do not load any magnum cartridges.

Does anyone have experience using it in 9mm (subsonic 147), 38 special, or 45 ACP, how does is preform? In the past, I've used Universal Clays, Bullseye, No.5, or N340 to load these calibers.

I keep trying to find the perfect powder to load all of these.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have used Blue Dot for handgun loading since the 1980s. It's a good Magnum powder but stay away from light bullet high velocity loads when using Blue Dot. It has a history of gas cutting the forcing cone if you get into the higher max loads (and it really does - I have seen it). With med. to heavy bullets - no problem. Stay under the loads that Alliant lists. The formulation was changed after Alliant bought the old Hercules brand name. Alliant now says "do not use for .41 Mag". I have in the past - and it was mediocre at best. If you want go for max loads there are better powders, like H110/W296 or 2400. I use 2400 for all of my max load handgun calibers.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I was trying to decide if I should just get rid of the powder or if it would be OK for putting together a small batch of something I currently shoot. The powder is probably 10 years old now, but as mentioned is still sealed.

I'm not wanting to run anything close to max loads. Infact, I am most interested in putting together subsonic 147gr FMJ 9mm to be fired from a suppressed pistol or SBR. Therefore, I was interested in hearing other peoples experience with it, I'm getting the feeling that it may not be worth the effort.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    That's probably what's going to happen...

Why do that? There is a very good blue dot load for 9mm 147gr subsonic if you follow the link provided by ghitch75. There is also data there for 45 auto and .38 Special +P, but I don't know if your gun can handle the +P. Overall, blue dot is a very good powder for a variety of calibers. I prefer some of the faster burning stuff for most purposes, just because the charge weights are a little lower and I can get a few more rounds per pound, but a powder that fills the case like blue dot does reduces the risk of a double charge. The blue dots in the powder also make it easy to identify if you ever screw up and need to know what's in a cartridge that you pull down or what's in your powder hopper if you don't put a tag on your hopper (some people leave powder in the hopper and then forget what it is).

I guess my point is, with powder being so hard to find, don't take it for granted and spend all your time chasing down the "perfect" powder for those 3 calibers. Clays would be the best IMHO, but you're gonna have to pay to play.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I haven't seen any data for it, but it is likely good for .327 Federal. The gas cutting in revolvers noted by the other posters could be a concern with light fast bullets at max or near max loads. In my opinion though, it is the BEST powder for maximum loads in .357 Sig - no top strap gas cutting to worry about and you get all the benefits of good load density and stable peak pressures.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used Blue Dot in hard hitting 115 grain 9mm loads for the SW 39. Didn't work as well in my older 9mm guns which I think were set up for faster burning powders.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I am sitting on pounds of Blue Dot. Bought it during the Great Obama Powder Drought.

Anyone used it with 230 gr. lead RN? Anyone have a 800 fps or so receipe?

I haven't tried Blue Dot in .45 ACP, but my 47th Edition of the Lyman manual lists a load for 225gr lead RN. That's close enough to 230gr lead RN that you can use the data IF you work up from the start charge like you are supposed to. Among cast bullet shooters, it is well known that the specific alloy used can affect the bullet's final weight by a several grains, so don't worry that the weights don't match up exactly. As for using Blue Dot in this application, it's kind of slow for the purpose, so it uses a lot of powder per cartridge, but the flip side is that you already have it, will get good load density, and it is very easy to spot a double charge. The max load of Blue Dot also gives the highest velocity of any of the powders listed for this bullet (well over 900 fps). I'm new here on INGO and don't know if it's ok to publicly post exact load data, but if it's ok, I will do so. If not, I can send you the data privately.

Come to think of it, I might still have some 230gr lead RN bullets left, so I should probably work up a load myself. The large gas volume generated from that big charge of relatively slow powder should make the compensator on my 1911 work that much better. :)

Top Bottom