• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    but my opinions are just those of a fellow "gun toting hetero" my hairdresser listens to me though so maybe even us from here on to be known as "GTH"s should have some credibility :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    but my opinions are just those of a fellow "gun toting hetero" my hairdresser listens to me though so maybe even us from here on to be known as "GTH"s should have some credibility :)

Get him to the range. Seriously, the Pink Pistols asked if I would start a chapter for them down here (it was in response to me asking if there was a chapter that wanted training help) and I told them I would only do it if they had a gay person to be the lead on it. I was not gonna come in and do it from the outside. Too much suspicion and fear.

So get your hairdresser to the range and I will put him in contact with PP national office...
    :rockwoot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    sounds like murder to me. even if the guy was sexually assaulted, the murder occurred a few days after the alleged assault. the perp certainly appeared to know what he was doing....and stabbing is a personal crime. and he didnt stab him 1 or 2 times either.

well, where he's going there will be plenty of sexual assaults and shankings, so he'll fit right in.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    sounds like murder to me. even if the guy was sexually assaulted, the murder occurred a few days after the alleged assault. the perp certainly appeared to know what he was doing....and stabbing is a personal crime. and he didnt stab him 1 or 2 times either.

well, where he's going there will be plenty of sexual assaults and shankings, so he'll fit right in.

Sounds like the, "Dead gay guy came onto me" defense that is not provable but is rather convenient. Skinny IU gay prof is gonna sexually assault a combat marine? Yeah, that sounds likely... Not.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Sounds like the, "Dead gay guy came onto me" defense that is not provable but is rather convenient. Skinny IU gay prof is gonna sexually assault a combat marine? Yeah, that sounds likely... Not.

Plus why was a twenty something married guy over at a fifty something gay guy's house on Christmas? I think there is some missing info.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    My take is this:
    Confused mid-twenties ex-marine got talked into some experimentation with gay older man. When he decided he did not like that or realized that he had a kid and a potential wife to go home to, he wanted to keep the situation quiet. Loud and Proud gay I.U. professor refuses to keep quiet about experimentation of ex-marine with him. In frustration and rage ex-marine attacks him.

This is the only scenario that makes sense to me.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Plus why was a twenty something married guy over at a fifty something gay guy's house on Christmas? I think there is some missing info.

Yep. I am guessing married guy tried something he did not want anyone to know about. Killed the only witness thinking he could get away with it. But, he did not know about the diary and that will be his undoing.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I'm not so sure about that. IMO it all depends on how drunk/drugged the marine was. Also, it isn't really convenient since it isn't a "defense" to the murder statute in Indiana that you were previously sexually assaulted by the dead dude.

Joe

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm not so sure about that. IMO it all depends on how drunk/drugged the marine was. Also, it isn't really convenient since it isn't a "defense" to the murder statute in Indiana that you were previously sexually assaulted by the dead dude.

Joe

His only defense is jury nullification, and that is what he is shooting for. Finding someone who will buy his story (for whatever reason) and let him off.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    His only defense is jury nullification, and that is what he is shooting for. Finding someone who will buy his story (for whatever reason) and let him off.

I once read an article by a guy that defended and got acquitals in a lot of murder cases. He said: "The best defense in a murder case is to convince the jury that the victim was someone who deserved to be murdered."

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I once read an article by a guy that defended and got acquitals in a lot of murder cases. He said: "The best defense in a murder case is to convince the jury that the victim was someone who deserved to be murdered."

Yep. And watch for the defense to try and move the trial outside Bloomington for exactly that reason.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fox 59 is reporting that the girlfriend was present during the sexual assault. Saying she and the killer were too drunk to fend off the assault.

WXIN

Accused killer pleads not guilty

Vigil planned for slain professor

Kent Erdahl
    Fox59.com
    7:26 AM EST, December 30, 2009
    Bloomington

25 year-old Michael Griffin admits to killing 53 year-old IU professor Dan Belton, according to police reports.

Griffin appeared in court Wednesday where he entered a plea of "not guilty."

According to a police affidavit, the suspect claims he was sexually assaulted by professor Belton, and when Belton showed no remorse, Griffin stabbed him to death.

"It blows my mind how many people he knew and how many lives he touched even in the short time he was here."

It's a story Belton's friends and colleagues find hard to believe.

"He's a warm and generous and effervescent man. Very kind, very gentle, just a very happy person, " says fellow IU professor Rae Greiner.

Greiner says since his death, she's been flooded with emails from those whose lives were touched by Belton during his short time at Indiana University.

"This isn't a man with any kind of aggression or any violent tendencies I've ever seen. Even people who knew him very little described him as being a very gentle person," she adds.

Greiner admits there's no way she will ever know what really happened at her friend's home . She's hoping to remember him the way she knew him. To honor her friend, she's organized a prayer vigil to bring all those who've been devastated by his dealth and the accusations from his suspected killer.

"That's not the person I knew and I think the vigil will demonstrate that's not the person any of us knew," says Greiner.

Professor Belton's Memorial Vigil is scheduled for Friday, New Year's day from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. It will be held in downtown Bloomington at the courthouse square.

Previous Story: Fox59 News has learned an alleged sexual assault may have led to an IU professor's murder.

53 year-old Don Belton was discovered stabbed to death inside his Bloomington home Monday morning.

According to a probable cause report obtained by Fox59 News, police say 25 year-old Michael Griffin confessed to the murder after he and the professor had a heated physical argument. Police say in a taped confession, Griffin told them he was sexually attacked by Professor Belton while he and his girlfriend were at Griffin's house on Christmas day.

Griffin told police he and his girlfriend were extremely intoxicated and couldn't defend themselves against the attack.

"Griffin was apparently upset about an incident that happened on Christmas day, involving himself and the victim," said Lt. David Drake, Bloomington Police.

Police say Griffin said he was angry about the alleged rape and went to Professor Belton's house two days later for an apology. He told police Belton didn't appear sorry. Griffin said they began to argue, and he stabbed Professor Belton multiple times in the chest, side, and back with a huge military style knife he'd brought with him.

Police say he left Belton bleeding and lying face down dead on the floor.

Investigators are calling the murder a crime of passion. They say a diary, kept by Professor Belton led them to Griffin. In a recent entry, we're told Professor Belton wrote how happy he was Michael Griffin had come into his life.

A source tells Fox59 the two met last summer. Michael Griffin's girlfriend was also reportedly with Professor Belton Christmas day during the alleged sexual attack on her boyfriend. Police say after the Professor's murder, Griffin's girlfriend contacted police to say she thought her boyfriend may be responsible.

Griffin was arrested late Monday night his home just outside Bloomington on state road 45. Fox59 News has learned they may have recovered the knife used in the murder. We've also learned Griffin was a decorated former marine who earned a purple heart.

IU colleagues, meanwhile, are grieving.

"His friends, colleagues, and students in the english department are shocked and saddened by the news of his death," said Karen Hanson, IU Provost.

During a new conference Tuesday, IU Provost Karen Hanson called Professor Belton "an important African-American author who made significant contributions as a professor at IU."

His university bio shows his long list of published works including a novel titled "Almost Midnight."

This was Professor Belton's second year teaching in Bloomington.

Copyright © 2009, WXIN-TV, Indianapolis

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The only thing I see in that story is that the guy is making the claim and also claims the GF is backing him up.

Both too drunk to stop a sexual assault?
    Just happened to be at the guys house?
    Just happened to go back over with an apology and a knife?

Really?

Still seems like someone looking for nullification after murder.

The diary is where it is at and it is in the evidence room. I suspect it will tell a very different tale.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Maybe it will tell whether this prof was a sexual predator or not.

If he was, and that is always a possibility, then I would think it would. If that happens, you might have the DA for for manslaughter.

I have a friend who is an assistant DA but I would not dare ask her as it would be unprofessional. Curious minds want to know.

Top Bottom