Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Quite a bit, actually, but most of it was just normal prep for the month:

Put a little gas in my car to get it above half

Put some of my stored gas in each car

Refilled those tanks (I cycle 10 gal/month and was due anyway)

Changed out my stored water (I due it the first week of January and July)

Picked up eggs and bacon (we were out)

Did the onsite work at my clients for projects that needed to complete Monday

Made certain the kids' boots and gloves were dry (for playing in the snow)

And the big one: I picked up the 1800W camping generator we had planned to buy this spring. My wife was onboard once she realized it will let us watch the Packer's game even if some idiot runs their car into a utility pole or transformer.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was pretty well set but the girl wanted a couple things. Got soda, eggs, hashbrowns and some brewskis just to make some nice additions. Went Friday and Payless was pretty crazy. Shelves werent emptied yet though. Ill never understand the mindset of these people who empty shelves before storms, but then again, I always have food on hand.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Condoms. If you're gonna be couped up inside with a partner of the opposite sex and nothing to do, and you don't want kids... Better have plenty of condoms. That's what I think I should add to my preps.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I split a cord of wood friday night after getting home from work. Picked up a few cans of soup and a loaf of french bread for dipping in the chowder. We already had a couple cases of water and the wife filled a few containers in case anything freezes up. Spent a hour shoveling the drive way this afternoon but it was useless as it is back to the condition it was in prior. Listening to Noaa on the ham radio while checking batteries in the flash lights.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Condoms. If you're gonna be couped up inside with a partner of the opposite sex and nothing to do, and you don't want kids... Better have plenty of condoms. That's what I think I should add to my preps.

Good idea but don't forget to keep them in with the rotation items as they do have and expiration date. ;-) lol

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Good idea but don't forget to keep them in with the rotation items as they do have and expiration date. ;-) lol

Luckily for me, I typically run out before they expire. That was the impetus for this post. lol If I were stocking in bulk I would have to rotate them. I wonder if storing them in a cooler place would help with the shelf life. Heat is not good for rubber. I prefer non-latex though, so I don't know what the guidelines are there. Something to look in to, I guess.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I rewired my furnace to easily plug it into my generator if/when the power goes out. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but the storm just gave me an excuse and the motivation to get it done.

The power that used to go straight into the furnace is now a single outlet, and I wired up a cord for the furnace. Power out? Unlplug from outlet, plug into extension cord. Cost me a whole $13.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I bought a magnetic oil pan heater. Oil pan is made of aluminum (actually thought about this as I'm laying down the $75 for the device.) Trans pan is steel, heat radiates, it's all good. Also have a battery tender hooked up too. Theory is: if we need to go the personnel carrier will start and we can go.

Mcolson181

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    SE Indiana
    I got some tortilla's and re fried beans and a couple other minor things but nothing out of the norm. If it would have been to crazy Saturday morning I would have skipped the trip and still been fine. Not too thrilled about the double I had to work but glad I have a job to complain about.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    bought a generator last week and wanted to do this I have the supplies but didnt want to shut it down to do it but it will be done by the week end
    I rewired my furnace to easily plug it into my generator if/when the power goes out. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but the storm just gave me an excuse and the motivation to get it done.

The power that used to go straight into the furnace is now a single outlet, and I wired up a cord for the furnace. Power out? Unlplug from outlet, plug into extension cord. Cost me a whole $13.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    bought a generator last week and wanted to do this I have the supplies but didnt want to shut it down to do it but it will be done by the week end
    If you take a look at it and know what you're going to be doing beforehand, it takes 15 minutes. Wasn't even a full cycle for my furnace as it didnt kick on when I flipped the breaker back on.

Top Bottom