• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I brought the garbage can inside the garage so I wouldn't have to trudge through more snow. Also moved around enough stuff to fit my car in there! Other than that we're pretty much the same as yesterday.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I am at my fiance's house and i had to move all the Christmas stuff (needed to start packing it up anyway) inside.

They both barely fit.

When I move in and have my Accord, her SUV has to go where the Jeep is as the Accord is longer. It will be nice when her parents swap houses with us because they have a lot more garage space (attached 2.5 car garage, detached 2.5 car garage, barn with two garage doors).

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Got my hunting gear ready last night..

1507147_10151853094807826_1385625533_n.jpg

Spent the day in the woods hunting, hiking, made a fire and cooked up some venison in the field.

1554578_10151853703412826_643483544_n.jpg

Got home and found the situation EXTREMELY dire. Genny gas can was empty and I had one beer left..

1525277_10151854593087826_1334078564_n.jpg

Spent 20-30 minutes out at the wood pile, splitting wood down, feeding the critters, and enjoying a brew. Lovely night out though.

1506921_10151854936157826_748546450_n.jpg

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The cold, plus the -50 degree windchills, plus the 30mph wind driving around snow will make travel very difficult.

This^^^^^^

It's not the snow. If there is no wind and we get 12" of snow, we are back up and running as soon as the plow goes by. The cold will not really affect that much. Not unless you don't keep your vehicle maintained.

But, according to the weather reports here in the NE area, we are supposed to get 30-40mph winds with and after the snow hits. I can tell you for a fact from growing up on a farm in this same area that 12" of snow + high winds from a SW direction = large snow drifts on all roads.

For those of you who own larger 4x4's...it still may not be an issue. But for those of us with cars and mini vans (yep...that's me)...we probably won't be driving through 3' - 5' snow drifts successfully in subcompact cars.

We have general preps anyway. So we did not get much. But I can also attest that Ft. Wayne stores were nuts today. We got a few extra packages of bottled water (never bad to have) and some fresh olive oil for cooking. That's it. Most of out time today was spent returning Christmas gifts that were duplicates, or unwanted.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This^^^^^^

It's not the snow. If there is no wind and we get 12" of snow, we are back up and running as soon as the plow goes by. The cold will not really affect that much. Not unless you don't keep your vehicle maintained.

But, according to the weather reports here in the NE area, we are supposed to get 30-40mph winds with and after the snow hits. I can tell you for a fact from growing up on a farm in this same area that 12" of snow + high winds from a SW direction = large snow drifts on all roads.

For those of you who own larger 4x4's...it still may not be an issue. But for those of us with cars and mini vans (yep...that's me)...we probably won't be driving through 3' - 5' snow drifts successfully in subcompact cars.

We have general preps anyway. So we did not get much. But I can also attest that Ft. Wayne stores were nuts today. We got a few extra packages of bottled water (never bad to have) and some fresh olive oil for cooking. That's it. Most of out time today was spent returning Christmas gifts that were duplicates, or unwanted.

True, there were people getting stuck in the last little snow we had in Kokomo because they decided their 2" ground clearance,
    rear wheel drive sports car was a good choice to drive around before the roads were plowed. :n00b:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I am at my fiance's house and i had to move all the Christmas stuff (needed to start packing it up anyway) inside.

They both barely fit.

When I move in and have my Accord, her SUV has to go where the Jeep is as the Accord is longer. It will be nice when her parents swap houses with us because they have a lot more garage space (attached 2.5 car garage, detached 2.5 car garage, barn with two garage doors).
    I see you're a fellow Jeeper. Shouldn't have any trouble in the snow. :thumbsup:

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Turned up the heater in the shop to a toasty 75, brought the grill in and cleaned it.

I have enough food for one day, Ill be out anyways. 4x4 Jeeps are an excuse to venture out!

Although I cant think our diesels will start monday morning at work, so that will be interesting.

Be careful all, not because of the weather but because of the idiots.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Lets see. I took my gas can that was full in the garage and topped off the tank on the snow blower, then I watched the Colts and had dinner.

We always have plenty of food in the house that if we needed to we could live for a week without leaving the house.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Went through the power outage supplies and got them in order. Moved more wood on the porch, fueled trucks and tractor. Not much more needed to be done. We try to stay ready for ? I did get my clubs out today, just to make sure they still sliced. They do. Had to hit a few, I was in the garage messing around and they called my name. Snow? Bring it on. :):

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ran in town today to pick up another can of kerosene, just in case. Filled up the car and picked up a couple of prescription refills for The Boss. Also grabbed a bag of sunflower seed and a couple suet cakes for the birds, and a sack of kibble for the house varmints.

Stopped in Walmart to watch the panic. Unbelievable! I had to park way out in a corner of the lot, thought I should have packed a lunch for the hike in. Walked around just watching, it was nuts! You could look in people's eyes and see panic. Wondered around in there for a bit, grabbed a bag of candy and headed to the checkout. People were lined up 6-8 deep at every cash register, overheard a conversation that it folks were waiting 30-40 minutes to check out. Walked back to sporting goods, picked up a box of 9mm and 2 of x39, paid for it and the candy and was out the door in 5 minutes. Oh and FYI, the WM in Tell City had quite a bit of CCI Stingers and Federal Lightnings today.

Got home and did a check on everything outside, filled the heater and now we're set! All that's left to do is throw a tarp over the car, makes it so much easier than scraping and brushing off snow and ice. Went over a few "ground rules" with The Boss. And now we wait...

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Bought a few groceries yesterday (didn't need much). Topped off the Jeep & parked it so I have easy-out access if I do go out. Double checked the emergency supplies. All is good...:thumbsup:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Camby walmart wasnt bad at around noon today. most shelves restocked pretty good. Some bare spots but no devastation.

Next time you're in there, wave at my son in the pharmacy! He's a tech there...said they filled a crazy number of prescriptions today...way more than normal.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    These are opportunities to study people's behavior. Shelves were bare where pre-packaged foods once sat while basic ingredients were still plentiful. I saw camp stoves and Sterno getting ignored on shelves. As I was walking out (empty-handed, I don't NEED anything for a few months) I heard a lady say she waited 55 minutes in the checkout line. A local news story quoted a store employee saying they had to beg a supplier to make an extra emergency delivery of milk as their 1000 gallon inventory had been depleted. Hmmmm......the almighty store has to beg for extra product because people are panicking about a possible revisit to Blizzard of '78 scenario?

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    I just returned home from overseas and am running behind on my winter preps for the house. So This was already my scheduled day to get items to take care of the windows and doors. I went to Menards this morning and picked up some supplies for weather proofing. After I got home I decided to take a chance at the local grocery store. I was hungry for cherry pie. As I walked in I saw the manager there, we talked briefly, he told me that they were out of milk, bread and meat. The milk truck made an extra delivery and all of that is gone too. He told me that there was a meat delivery truck making an emergency delivery and there were people lined up waiting for the meat to be put out. I picked up the pie, went to the checkout and was out of there! total time in store was less than 10 minutes. As far as any other supplies, we are always ready for anything. My wife has an active security gland that is only soothed by a supply of everything, She's a good one! Bring on the cold and snow!! I look foreword to the challenge!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    My prepping involved a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and a box of overpriced eggs. Stuff I normally buy.. Oh, and stopped at the gas station since I was on E anyways.
    I was kind of surprised to see that the egg section of Kroger in Peru was just gone, yet the milk coolers and bread aisle were stocked full. Guess they missed a shipment or something, but I had to break down and buy the fancy schmancy egglands best cage free no added hormone vegan fed chicken eggs at nearly double the price of store brand. Tastes the exact same.. go figure.

Top Bottom