• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    No, the lower does not incur much stress in shooting... not worth the extra expense or weight...

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Well, would have to disagree with all of you. From what I understand the lower is made of better aluminum that will stand up longer over the years. If I had one "Pre-Ban" AR I would most likely want it built on this receiver. Also, when you get a chance to actually touch and feel the product you can see difference in quality over a standard lower. Yes, may not be for everyone, but for those that want the best it may be.

OK, here comes the shameless plug, I have them in stock. :) So if you want to check them out please come by. The owner of the company is a great guy and pays a lot of attention to detail, we sell their suppressors 20 to 1 over any other companies suppressors and not one complaint. They make very good products!

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Well, would have to disagree with all of you. From what I understand the lower is made of better aluminum that will stand up longer over the years.

The lower is subjected to virtually no stress upon firing...

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    The lower is subjected to virtually no stress upon firing...
    I agree with the above statement, however the weapon is stressed when "operating" it. I look at weapons a bit different than some, their is a difference between shooting and operating a weapon system. Anyone that has been in the military or has been to modern weapons training will understand. I would say 99% of the time the normal "shooter" would never need a receiver like this, however if you train with your weapons, and again training is not just shooting, then you might make the decision to pay the extra bit of money to get the upgraded receiver. A weapon is some cases is used as a leverage tool when you are running and have to go to prone to engage a target, it is also used as a tool when getting up from prone to move to contact or away from contact and these actions will put stress on your lower receiver. The weapon can be used as a weapon without firing it, a good strike to the head of your opponent will put stress on the weapon. When exiting a vehicle under contact you might smack your barrel on the door jam, this will put stress on your lower receiver. So if your a shooter and collector it probably is not worth the extra money, but if you train with your weapons then it might be something you want to consider.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    A lower made "from" a billet of aluminum, is in NO way stronger than a forged AL lower if both units are milled to the same specs.

However, there might be "some" added strength due to the fact that most "billet" AR lower mfgs make a few demensional changes/improvements to the lower itself. (examples: integral trigger gaurd, beefed up areas around the take down pins,etc)

That being said, there are a few companies that have made some "upgrades" to their signature branded lowers. (example: Mega-gator grip.)

Again, I think that they are neat and would look and perform wonderfully for a benchest/precision gun, something that would make it stand out aesthetically. But, a forged AL AR lower that is "properly" milled will do whatever you need and will last just as long as any "billet" lower.

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    I agree with the above statement, however the weapon is stressed when "operating" it. I look at weapons a bit different than some, their is a difference between shooting and operating a weapon system. Anyone that has been in the military or has been to modern weapons training will understand. I would say 99% of the time the normal "shooter" would never need a receiver like this, however if you train with your weapons, and again training is not just shooting, then you might make the decision to pay the extra bit of money to get the upgraded receiver. A weapon is some cases is used as a leverage tool when you are running and have to go to prone to engage a target, it is also used as a tool when getting up from prone to move to contact or away from contact and these actions will put stress on your lower receiver. The weapon can be used as a weapon without firing it, a good strike to the head of your opponent will put stress on the weapon. When exiting a vehicle under contact you might smack your barrel on the door jam, this will put stress on your lower receiver. So if your a shooter and collector it probably is not worth the extra money, but if you train with your weapons then it might be something you want to consider.

+1
    Good job of pointing out that whether an operator realizes it or not , all to often the rifle becomes a lever when "operating".
    It's rare , but the Ar15/M16 lower receivers have been known to break, usually when/with unintended use as a lever.
    Exactly why some makers started using billet and providing a little extra meat at the weak points, around the front pivot pin holes and at the rear receiver extension lug. I don't think this makes the lower unbreakable, but does make it a little stronger.
    Again, most people will never need this little extra or know the difference.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    $249.99 is pretty salty for a lower, but I'd honestly consider one of those. I'm a sucker for really high quality tools, to the point of excess just for those select few moments when they shine. They're worth every penny at those moments. :twocents:

Top Bottom