• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I see a receipt and/or a bill of sale for any purchase as just means to cover everybody's hind ends. Everyday example: When I buy gas and since i always pay at the pump, I will almost always get a receipt---just in case there's a screw up and the station mistakingly accuses me of not paying. If I buy something of considerable value from you, all I want is a simple piece of paper that acknowledges it was a mutually agreeable transaction and both parties agree it was satsfactorily completed. I don't want any more information transferred than required to adequately identify the parties involved.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    My prints are on the gun. If some idiot that matches my description robs a gas station after buying my gun and shoots somebody. I'd feel a whole lot better if I could wave a bos at the police. Some of you guys are just too cool for school when you say you wouldn't lower yourselves to fill one out. I've worked too hard to see my life go to hell over some b.s. I just sold one this weekend and the buyer asked me to fill out bos. I didn't put my address on it or dl #. Just my name, town and serial number. I actually felt good with it.

He even emailed me the link so I could print one off for the next gun I sell.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My prints are on the gun. If some idiot that matches my description robs a gas station after buying my gun and shoots somebody. I'd feel a whole lot better if I could wave a bos at the police. Some of you guys are just too cool for school when you say you wouldn't lower yourselves to fill one out. I've worked too hard to see my life go to hell over some b.s. I just sold one this weekend and the buyer asked me to fill out bos. I didn't put my address on it or dl #. Just my name, town and serial number. I actually felt good with it.

He even emailed me the link so I could print one off for the next gun I sell.

a VERY small amount of "prints" are adequate for reliable evidence in court....especially if others have handled it....unless he is handling it with gloves on when you meet I wouldn't worry about that

regardless it's a personal choice....I prefer not to fill one out...but if the seller (because I don't sell) ever requests to fill one out...than he will not be given any more information than he gives me about himself.....identity theft, false incrimination, and/or reporting the weapon stolen are simply TOO easy for any semi-intelligent person with ill-intent these day

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another benefit of a bill of buy is if the gun is found to be stolen, you have something to use in civil court to try to reclaim damages. I don't know how much use it would be when the local PD asked about how you came to be in possession of a stolen weapon, but it would beat having nothing.

I'd really be wary of someone selling me a gun, but that refused to sign a bill of sale (or buy in that case). If they came by the gun honestly, through a purchase or trade, then a refusal to disclose their identity would be a big red flag.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My prints are on the gun. If some idiot that matches my description robs a gas station after buying my gun and shoots somebody...

Clean it better. :rolleyes:

As a buyer, I just want something in case the seller were to try to claim it as stolen later.

Call me paranoid...

You're paranoid.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_aIhh9nFYv4[/ame]

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    another thing to point out is that not only should BOTH (buyer and seller) have an original copy.....but if one person is requiring a bill of sale with a LTCH verification, then BOTH should put down either their LTCH # or DL #....reason being that all that information is stored in an electronic storage system (database) somewhere....and would you like someone else having "access" to you personal identification info without having theirs in return???

Sorry, but nobody is getting my LTCH or DL #. If you want to fill out a bill of sale, the MOST that will be on it is my name and address. Generally speaking though, if a bill of sale is required, I'll look elsewhere. There are plenty of sellers who dont require a bill of sale, and I just might find a better deal anyway.

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    I don't own a handgun yet or a LTCH. I'm not going to get my LTCH before I buy a gun and most likely I'm not going to purchase new because I don't have much spare cash and I'm a deal finder. From a first time buyer perspective I want to buy my gun first and get comfortable with it before I get my LTCH. So hopefully I don't get someone who requires a LTCH when I make my first private purchase because I most likely won't have it. I don't mind bill of sales what so ever, I would actually prefer it. Well my :twocents:. Hope I don't miss out on a beauty because of .. well you know:facepalm:

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I don't sell guns without a form i made that has my name, the gun, and all i ask for is your name, signature under a statement your legal, and birth date is optional. I don't need your DL, or LTCH #'s, or your address. I will give you the same information i ask for, but i do it to cover my butt. The ATF might not have the right to do anything to you, but i think if a gun was sold to you, that would give them probable cause for a warrant. I don't want my guns taken to "just run a check" on the, to have to fight to get them back.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When I do a FTF buy/sale I require some bacon and a firm handshake. If the handshake isn't quite firm enough or the palm is sweaty, I may require a man hug or a best of 5 arm wrestling challenge. I don't do anything to cover my butt but I love me some bacon and sometimes I just like to remind myself that I've still got it when it comes to arm wrestling. I was a 5 time 4h fair runner up, would have been the champion but I always lost to this kid that does needle point. I'm not embarrassed because he was the reserve grand champion (he also has done some pretty impressive butterfly/bug collections).

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    I don't sell guns without a form i made that has my name, the gun, and all i ask for is your name, signature under a statement your legal, and birth date is optional. I don't need your DL, or LTCH #'s, or your address. I will give you the same information i ask for, but i do it to cover my butt. The ATF might not have the right to do anything to you, but i think if a gun was sold to you, that would give them probable cause for a warrant. I don't want my guns taken to "just run a check" on the, to have to fight to get them back.

That is exactly all I want and would expect for a bill of sale. If you think it won't help in an ATF issue, well at least you can have a some piece of mind.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    I also prefer to write a simple bill of sale, but I do that with everything I sell- motorcycles, cars, guns, bicycles, etc. It's just a way for me to prove that a legal transaction occurred and that goods were exchanged for payment.

As far as the stolen gun/ murder scenario goes, why wouldn't you want to help the ATF find the shooter or at least clear yourself as a suspect?

Paranoia is on both sides of this argument.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    To me, it doesn't matter. I still want to see a drivers license and a LTCH. If you refuse, find another deal.

Same here. I do this to make a good faith effort to do the best I could to avoid transferring a firearm to a prohinited person. I don't record any info, I just want to see you have an Indiana ID to prove residency, and a LTCH which leads me to believe you are ok to transfer a weapon to.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Same here. I do this to make a good faith effort to do the best I could to avoid transferring a firearm to a prohinited person. I don't record any info, I just want to see you have an Indiana ID to prove residency, and a LTCH which leads me to believe you are ok to transfer a weapon to.

What if it is a long arm and the guy doesn't have a LTCH? What if you didn't mention you needed to see one and the guy drove 100 miles to pick up the gun?

I'm really just curious I'm not trying to start :poop:

Also are any of you willing to ship a firearm to a private individual?

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    What if it is a long arm and the guy doesn't have a LTCH? What if you didn't mention you needed to see one and the guy drove 100 miles to pick up the gun?

I'm really just curious I'm not trying to start :poop:

Also are any of you willing to ship a firearm to a private individual?

I can't really say much, but I have seen many people requesting a LTCH on long arms.

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    I know, thats my point. What if the buyer doesn't have one but is a proper person? Is it really a deal breaker?

From what I've read in this thread. It does seem like it would still be the "No ltch/No sale" Seems like some folks are pretty stubborn about it.:dunno: Well will wait for some input from others and see what's said.

Top Bottom