• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    would have to agree on the general impression of it being a bobcat. The ears have the pointy hair as well as spotted legs. It is hard to tell what distortion the trail cam gives the video to say it is a "large" or regular. Remember just like wolves and coyotes they have a size range, this could be the high end of the range.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Looks nothing like a mountain lion. Definitely a bobcat. Coloration is right, size is right, tail is right.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I agree also w the consensus that it is a bobcat. Prob a large male. Spotting on the legs and the ears are all bobcat. I've seen pics of longer tails than that on bobcats but not in person.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Definitely a bobcat. The tail gives it away. Cougars have long tails and the one in the video had a stubby tail.

"It has distinctive black bars on its forelegs and a black-tipped, stubby tail, from which it derives its name." --from wikipedia

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Big bobcat Tom...

This is one I got on camera in Warrick county

2ddf191a.jpg

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That was really cool...I have never seen either bobcat or mountian lion in the wild...

If you are going to add additional cameras to that location, it would be interesting if you could put an object of known size or place a mark on one of the trees at a specific height, that would appear on the camera in order to help judge scale.

Thanks for the video...:):

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    That was really cool...I have never seen either bobcat or mountian lion in the wild...

If you are going to add additional cameras to that location, it would be interesting if you could put an object of known size or place a mark on one of the trees at a specific height, that would appear on the camera in order to help judge scale.

Thanks for the video...:):

Great idea!!:yesway:

I once heard a bobcat let out their unmistakable scream when I was hunting in Kentucky. I'm telling you, it'll raise every hair on your neck, and really scare the devil out of you. Especially if it's still dark, waiting in a woods you've never been in, where you've been led to your treestand, and you are absolutely unfamiliar with any of your surroundings. Priceless. :):

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Great idea!!:yesway:

I once heard a bobcat let out their unmistakable scream when I was hunting in Kentucky. I'm telling you, it'll raise every hair on your neck, and really scare the devil out of you. Especially if it's still dark, waiting in a woods you've never been in, where you've been led to your treestand, and you are absolutely unfamiliar with any of your surroundings. Priceless. :):

Unless it was in sight, that might have been a Squatch...at least according to "Finding Bigfoot". Every odd noise in the wild is a Squatch.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Mondo sized Bobcat

At the start of the video, the inside legs have stripes which cougars don't have. Plus, the tail is too short. The cougar tail in the snow, leaves drag marks between the paw prints (I've seen it on my old property in Colorado).

Huge Bobcat!

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Bobcat for sure...probably a big male like others of already said. Bobcats in general have a 35 mile home range, so don't be surprized if you don't see it again. I have a friend that keeps 15 cams out 9 months out of the year and he has pics of one (one time) in the same area almost one year apart.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Bobcat for sure...probably a big male like others of already said. Bobcats in general have a 35 mile home range, so don't be surprized if you don't see it again. I have a friend that keeps 15 cams out 9 months out of the year and he has pics of one (one time) in the same area almost one year apart.

I see a bobcat on my trail cameras about once a week but all of the rest of them have been smaller and have had short (3-4") tails. This cat is much larger and has a much longer tail than the rest. I've been doing some baiting to try to get some better pictures.
    I'm also going to do as someone else suggested and put something up there to help judge the size. I'm thinking about an upright concrete block that will be steady and will give some perspective. I'll be sure to share if I get any good videos.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Trust me its a bobcat.

<------ I should know

reasons why

1. ear tuffs
    2. white spots on back of ears
    3. black tail tip
    4.spots on inside of legs
    5.very small check ruff

plus that and after looking at tons of pictures of that genus when designing my fursona I can just look at body\head shape and know.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    While at Muscatatuck NWR near Seymour I met a Conservation Officer a couple of years ago. He showed me a photo of him holding a male bobcat up by the hind legs, his hands were above his shoulders. It's front paws reached the ground. He was not a small man. Male bobcats can get pretty big.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    110% Bobcat the only cougars that have any spots are cubs and they are not that big by the time the spots are gone.

Same goes for the other characterisics of that cat. Wish it was a Cougar but it isn't.

Top Bottom