Best / worst time of the year to apply for a NFA tax stamp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello everyone! I apologize if this question has been answered already, but i was just wondering if there tends to be a "better" time of the year to apply for a NFA tax stamp. I'm planning on picking up my first NFA item ever (Kestrel 5.56) in the next month or two and was just curious if i should expect to see my stamp in the mail sooner/later/same amount of time it usually takes.

Thanks as always!
    John

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Spring time would probably be worst as people seem to have more money to blow on toys because of tax season. Winter would be best as people seem to be broke from holiday shopping. Summer and Fall are in between.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    With the recent news of this years Friday after thanksgiving setting record numbers of NICS checks, I'm sure NFA items are at an all time high also. I just got into NFA stuff this year; 3 months 3 weeks from pending to approval on my first, a couple days over 4 months on my second, and this last one was 4 months and 2 weeks from pending to approval. Keeps getting longer. I doubt people are going to settle down anytime soon. I wouldnt think anytime of year is a "good" time to send paperwork in. I purchased 1 more NFA item and sent in paperwork for an SBR. I just plan on at least 5 months from the day of purchase, that I can possess my goodies...any quicker and it's a surprise.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    July 1st is when a lot of newer SOT's (class 3 dealers) first apply for their license and I know when we first did we had a ton of form 3's "pending" in July.

And when this Kestrel 5.56 comes out there will be some serious form 4's in play! ;)

mikeobolton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    what the best tme to apply for a silencer stamp and what is a good silencer for a 22 mosquito at resonable price

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    what the best tme to apply for a silencer stamp and what is a good silencer for a 22 mosquito at resonable price
    anytime is a good time, i was actually surprised how fast i got the call that my stamp was in. after a lot of research, i went with a tactical innovations tac-65 for my mosquito. it was very reasonably priced, had excellent reviews, and can be easily disassembled for the owner to clean. i have zero complaints about it, my brother went with a more expensive yankee hill model and mine is just as quiet. dont let tactical innovations cruddy website fool ya, they make an excellent product.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Had to wait about 3 months for stamps for my suppressors about 3 years ago. Been waiting 4 so far (& told to expect about 5 by the ATF/NFA Branch) for my MG.

Top Bottom