• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Police trade ins, not produced for very long, and not desirable thus the lower price.

If you want a full size, spend just a little more and buy a Bersa Thunder Pro. I picked up a NIB one (earlier model without the rail) for $305 at the Indy 1500 a couple of years ago.

from best nines The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

19. Bersa Thunder 9 High Capacity: Haggle Price $350-$380
    What a nice shooting pistol! The HC model holds 17 rounds. I can't believe you can buy such a nice pistol for so little money. The Thunder 9 has that expensive pistol feel to it. I did get a few FTE jams with Winchester white box. After break-in, the cheap ammo should feed fine. Premium ammo was no problem. The 4.2" barrel and good trigger provided excellent accuracy. It points and handles like a Smith 5903, but grips smaller. At only 28 ounces, it is a fine carry gun. Team Bersa is making noise in combat contest. The Bersa Thunder is a proven military and police sidearm in South America. A buddy of mine has an older Bersa 9mm with about 3000 trouble free rounds. Lifetime warranty.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Police trade ins, not produced for very long, and not desirable thus the lower price.

If you want a full size, spend just a little more and buy a Bersa Thunder Pro. I picked up a NIB one (earlier model without the rail) for $305 at the Indy 1500 a couple of years ago.

from best nines The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

19. Bersa Thunder 9 High Capacity: Haggle Price $350-$380
    What a nice shooting pistol! The HC model holds 17 rounds. I can't believe you can buy such a nice pistol for so little money. The Thunder 9 has that expensive pistol feel to it. I did get a few FTE jams with Winchester white box. After break-in, the cheap ammo should feed fine. Premium ammo was no problem. The 4.2" barrel and good trigger provided excellent accuracy. It points and handles like a Smith 5903, but grips smaller. At only 28 ounces, it is a fine carry gun. Team Bersa is making noise in combat contest. The Bersa Thunder is a proven military and police sidearm in South America. A buddy of mine has an older Bersa 9mm with about 3000 trouble free rounds. Lifetime warranty.
    Thanks, for the link .....

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since the S&W is used, that opens the permutations to, say 50,000 of them. Right now I'd say the best deal in a 9mm is the Kahr CW9 from Bud's for $366, and that includes shipping.:twocents:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Back when there was a good supply, I would say the best deal was the German Police trade-ins of the Sig P6. They were < $300. Now they are more because there haven't been any imported lately.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    It's just my opinion, but smith should just stick with revolvers. Their semi's have never impressed me. But I'm basing my opinion on a pos 4506 I had in the past.

I saw a used state trooper Beretta 92 for 300 the other day. IMO much better deal.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll second the Bersa as one of the best deals out there. I have both compact and high cap versions of the 9 and both have been great. My favorite of the two is the 9UC (13 rounds) as it just feels very well balanced but the 9HC (17 round) is a great gun as well. I recently picked up a Bersa 45UC from my son and it's actually been getting carried more than my 1911s in the last week or so. I love 1911s, have 1911 sheets on the bed and 1911 boxer shorts but, that Bersa just feels good right now. It will not replace the 1911s, but it does make a nice carry gun.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    Bersa's are nice guns and I'm a Smith fan but IMHO the best value in a 9mm is a Ruger P95. You can buy a new gun and a box of ammo for under $350 and walk away with a gun that will probably never fail you.

changelac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Feb 6, 2011
    For the price the Bersa (if you can find one) would be a good way to go. I've got the 9 UC and love it. Never a malfunction. The P95 seems nice too. I've read a lot of good things about them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have to say my vote would be used: Glock 17,19 or G23/22. 3rd gen Smith or Ruger also good choice a lot of used Stainless Steel ones if you look around.
    Seems newer models are overpriced, forcing used pricing up so people can't afford to buy.
    Keep looking a lot of sale ones by personal owners, and find mags and holsters in the used box at some of the gun shows.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks for all the replies so far. My personal list of best values includes a Ruger P-series and a Ruger SR-9. He already knows Glock is a good gun, so I didn't bother including it. I have always liked the older Smiths though. Good solid guns and I am not too worried about buying used. Obviously there's an element of risk, but I have yet to get burned too badly, and I've gotten some great deals. Most likely the springs would get replaced if he gets the Smith and then I suspect he would have a hell of a nice gun for less than $300 total. Throw in a couple spare mags, holster, etc and he could still get a couple of training classes for less than $1000 initial investment.

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    I have owned or own S&Ws, Bersa's, Ruger, Colts, CZ's and Charter Arms and while I am not an expert feel the Bersa's are the best for the money. You can pay more to get more but for around $225-250 you can get a Bersa Thunder 380 and that's very hard to match. It seems the Bersa haters have more often than not never owned one and base their views on like individuals.

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    Police trade in Smiths are where its at. For 300 bucks you can get a sweet shooter that will outlive you. Loved my 5906. Fantastic weapon.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I cant belive no one has mentioned what is, arguably, considered to be the most under rated pistol on the market.

The Sig SP2022.

SIG SAUER SP2022 9mm w/ Night Sights & Free Laser! : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Here is one for $415.00 brand new. They can be had cheaper used obviously, and if you find a certified preowned Sig SP2022 I dont think you could possibly go wrong.

Ive never shot one of the S&W but they also have a good rep. And for the price you listed I wouldnt think twice about it.

Top Bottom