• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ugh. The 10/22 is a TERRIBLE choice if you're on a budget! My $250 10/22 has now cost me over $1000 in customizations and upgrades! You need a rifle with no aftermarket parts, and preferably that can't shoot straight so you won't want to bother spending money on ammo.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The trigger group on the standard 10/22 is garbage. All polymer/plastic and an 8lb pull. You could easily drop another $200 getting it right.

I don't seem to mind the trigger on my 795 though - maybe it's because it was $150 less than a base 10/22 at most retail places.

If you're going to shoot an out of the box rifle and do nothing but scope it, you'd be well served by the Marlin's of any variety.

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased a marlin model 60 not more than a couple weeks ago and have put quite a few rounds thru it.. The pop cans have been pleading for mercy.. I like the gun and its pretty as well.. Ammo is dirt cheap lol..

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The trigger group on the standard 10/22 is garbage. All polymer/plastic and an 8lb pull. You could easily drop another $200 getting it right.

I don't seem to mind the trigger on my 795 though - maybe it's because it was $150 less than a base 10/22 at most retail places.

If you're going to shoot an out of the box rifle and do nothing but scope it, you'd be well served by the Marlin's of any variety.

I have to disagree with you on the trigger group. Yes, it can be better—if you want to spend another $200. But I am using the original group and it works just fine. No need to change it out unless you just want to dress it up.

I will take your word on the Marlin, though. I have never fired one and have never priced one. Sounds like a good, economical alternative to a basic 10/22.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have to disagree with you on the trigger group. Yes, it can be better—if you want to spend another $200. But I am using the original group and it works just fine. No need to change it out unless you just want to dress it up.

You can throw a VQ hammer in it for like $10 and it'll sweeten up the trigger immensely. You don't HAVE to spend $200 to do it.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    10/22 is great huge aftermarket support stocks,magazines ,sights, barrels, and triggers basically you can mod anything on the gun except for the receiver. However i do love my marlin model 60 its very accurate and the strip is easier IMO but its not as easily modable as the 10/22 and the ruger is only 40~60 dollars more so i would pick the 10/22 but that's just me

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'll put in a vote for the Marlin 60. As you've read so far, they can be had for $75 to $100 most places. Can't beat the price for a semi-auto. I've used mine to pop balloons at 150 yds and ring steel at 200 yds. What more can you ask for in a $100 rifle shooting 2 cent ammo?

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I actually ended up buying a marlin 795 today, picked it up from Dick's for 130. The 10/22 seems like a nice gun but considering that I really don't want to upgrade it at all and was looking for the best value out of the box, I thought the Marlin seemed like a good buy. Now to find an inexpensive scope to put on it and hopefully I'll be good to go... any recommendations?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm a big fan of the Marlin model 60. They are accurate and last for years. I can ping a 4" flipper target at 25 yards every shot with my Dad's. I also at one time had a Remington 597, which is another great rifle. Plan on getting a used one, and adding a wood stock to replace the factory synthetic stock. Paid $129 for it new and never had one single problem with it. Was very accurate and not picky on ammo. Just recently got a 10/22, but need to take it back to the range. My first trip out it malfunctioned.

The trigger would not reset. As of now I have it working. So we'll see what happens next range trip. I also have a Marlin 925R bolt action, with factory mounted 3x9x32 scope. I only paid $214 for it new, and the scope is decent. Very accurate at 50 yards, which is what I have it sighted in at. My baby, is my Savage MKIIFV with heavy barrel and Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope. I have almost $500 in it though. The 10/22 does have the most amount of aftermarket parts. Mine has a Butler Creek side folding stock, UTG rail, Truglo sites, and Bushnell Trophy 1x28 scope red dot with four reticles to choose from.

The funny thing is, so many fellow Ingo members say buy a 10/22. I buy one and it malfunctions out of the gate. Yes yes I know any gun can malfunction. In a way I just found it a little funny. In a evil and sarcastic manner. I have not given up on it yet. Maybe I was cursed by the Ruger Gods! :dunno:

Here is some pics of my cursed 10/22

DSCI0008.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I actually ended up buying a marlin 795 today, picked it up from Dick's for 130. The 10/22 seems like a nice gun but considering that I really don't want to upgrade it at all and was looking for the best value out of the box, I thought the Marlin seemed like a good buy. Now to find an inexpensive scope to put on it and hopefully I'll be good to go... any recommendations?

I prefer a 3-9 but I like to shoot at 100yds. BSA's entry 3-9x32 worked wonderfully for me and was less than $50.

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    How much do you want to spend? 10/22 is a great choice, the MP15-22 is cool rifle and accurate out of the box, gives you the black rifle look and feel. Marlin makes great rifles. Check the local pawn shops if money is tight, might find a good deal.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN

I paid 189.00 @ dunhams and 198.00 @ WalMart 2 months ago for my latest 10/22s SO... I would also buy the new 795 for 39.00 < much better deal :rolleyes::): Except they are 160.00 at Impact guns right now :dunno:
    All BS aside, the 10/22 is hard to beat. My Dad gave me my first one in 1976, it still shoots straight and functions great. Good luck with yours.

Top Bottom