• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    When I was a kid we'd sit around and listen to the police scanner. Could also get emergency depts and sometimes airplanes. Then they all moved to digital. A few weeks ago I heard a woman in our town with a police scanner on her smartphone. Just wondering on opinions on which ones were good and which ones were dumb.

thanks
    Jason

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Pretty much any will work, just make sure you get a free version...due to changes in how the service is put out there, I'd expect to see many of the feeds drop off the face of the earth in Oct and Mid-Jan as one of the main host sites is undergoing changes that remove a lot of incentive for feed providers.

Of course, if you can put a digital scanner in the budget you can hear a ton, and if you get a non-digital scanner you can still hear quite a lot, just less of the LE stuff and a small portion of the fire stuff will be gone.

FWIW I have "scanner radio" on my phone, but it sees very little use as I typically have a Pro-106 nearby.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The app Police Scanner doesn't have all the Counties....

Some of the LE agencies are using (or going to switch to) digital communications since some of the analog TV stations aren't using the frequencies any longer. Those frequencies were auctioned or sold off to various providers and some LE agencies to use as digital communication channels as I understand things. As was posted previously, this may contribute to a lack of having them available for 'us' to listen to via an app or the web.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    The app Police Scanner doesn't have all the Counties....

The way the radio makes to the web is someone buying a scanner hooking it up to a dedicated computer and streaming it. No volunteer, no county feed. Server companies also limit what content is allowed so no car to car channels and similar.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am the provider of the Marion County Police Dispatch feed. The changes coming on October 15th won't change anything from a listener's perspective; all the current apps will continue to work normally.

I use Scanner Radio Pro to monitor my feed. Other than lacking tags (being able to see the alpha-tag of the agency transmitting), it's the best scanner app on Android. Wunder Radio shows tags, but it's otherwise inferior for feed monitoring.

Regarding incentives, my feed was created primarily for me-it's not going anywhere :)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Police departments usually have extra radios on hand. Just bust on in and take one. Hell, you paid for it through your tax dollars. Jump in the conversation every now and again to get your full money's worth too. "Breaker 1-9, come in snowman, this here's the rubber duck."

Eskion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Hammond
    There are a ton of these apps out there, but the real problem is finding one with the areas you are looking for. Scanner Radio is the only that I found that broadcasts my area. Good app

Top Bottom