• ...and so much more!
  • billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    my:twocents: you can do alot with 1k , so if you are looking for 1 rifle to do it all , i like the sks , or a .22 mag semi auto rifle . sks would certainly fit the bill accept ammo is heavy so this limits the amount you can carry . a .22mag i would say 200yds is it for effectiveness but cheap lite weight more oomph. than a .22lr very useable for self defense and game animals. the ruger or magnum research versions would end your shopping with the budget , but a remington model you could also get a keltec pmr30 . that would give you a hand gun w/30rd capacity and a carbine . same ammo both light weight enough to hump. but the Ruger and MR. version much more reliable and accurate .

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Haha, I wouldn't elaborate any more if I were you other than to say that shot was not taken in Indiana.

Since he passed away over 20 years ago I guess I can share that my grandfather took a deer with a .22 many, many years ago (before I was born) in OK. The whitetails there are a little smaller there so that would be something to consider.

Personally I think a good .22 rifle would be invaluable in a SHTF situation. While not ideal for long shots or self defense they are relatively quiet, you can stock up on ammo without breaking the bank, most are light weight and easy to carry and in the hands of someone who knows how to use one can bring bigger game than most give it credit for.

Back to the OP's question. I might look for a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever action. Of course in the scenarios I envision I don't see long gun battles requiring multiple 30-round magazines. :ar15:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    vz.58, not an AK, 7.62x39, can take out any 2 or 4 legged animal in IN, 30 round detachable mags, very reliable...

noise would be an issue, but I wouldn't have to worry about head shots like the .22lr.

$839 from czechpoint. :):

sprint395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Call me crazy but I love my lever action 30-30. It is very short and maneuverable. It reloads quickly enough for my use. It is a hard hitting round at short distances. It is very reliable. Also normal people are not going to freak when they see you with one. Walking around with a tactical looking gun might attract unwanted attention. The only real downside is the cost of ammo is a little high. I would get a quality lever action and put the rest of your money into ammo.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    This one...MPA971 9MM carbine.
    Neither AR or AK, some MAC 11 & a little FAL though.
    2012-04-11_14-33-38_868.jpg

As beautiful as that looks, can you carry that all day? 16+ pounds can get kinda heavy on a sling. And what do you do for iron sights? I like the idea but I wish they had used a lighter barrel and affixed iron sights. They would've been more successful IMO.

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    Depends on the reason to why SHTF if it has to do with the government or the zombies coming. Either way I would choose my Cetme made by Centry. If i run out of ammo it's heavy enough to bash someone or something if need be. Plus it has iron sites can't get any better than that! Plus its pretty reliable too.

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I have several guns in my wish list for a SHTF, like you my budget it $1,000 max. So here is what I would consider good SHTF rifles for this state that are not an AK or AR (in no particular order):

1. Mossberg 464 SPX lever action rifle, 30-30win. Base price for the rifle is less than $550, you could get 500 rounds of ammo for a little over $300, and any grips or flashlights or whatever and you got a dependable, accurate rifle for $850 or so. Good defense and hunting rifle.
    2. Most Mauser bolt action rifles. Dependable, accurate at any range 8mm mauser is not too uncommon but it's not something everyone has. And as far as reliability they are awesome. Depending on model (I would suggest a Yugo), you are spending roughly $800-$900 or less on a good one and a good bit of ammo.
    3. SKS semi auto rifle, you all already know a lot more on these than I do probably, but they are dependable and common.The 7.62 Soviet is a common round in the US and you can get 1,000 rounds of ammo for less than $300.

These are just my choices, I like modern guns but I'm kinda into surplus and "old school" style weapons :oldwise:

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    He said under $500 and for taking game, the .223 isn't something I would want to shoot a deer with unless I was 100% sure I could get a headshot off.

I get kinda dumbfounded how people think you can't kill anything but a ground hog with a .223. I'm not trying to start trouble, it just seems like you see posts like this a lot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If I was to play this "best for SHTF game", I would vote for a 22 magnum in a rifle. You can carry hundreds of rounds easily and it is fairly quiet but still powerful.

second choice would be a 22LR.

Third choice would be a pistol caliber carbine.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    CETME (got them for $500, with the stainless receiver, and the cheapest mags around), or an FAL (not a DSA for about $700). They will drop about anything and can still do 300 yards easy.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have always believed the best weapons for shtf, is weapons that ammo matches.
    lever gun in 45lc and a colt saa in 45lc
    lever gun in 357 and a S&W 686 in 357
    lever gun in 44 mag and a ruger super black hawk in 44 mag.
    or just get a nice 12 gauge shot gun, and you can get ammo anywhere. and fit every criteria other than taking game at 300 yards. this is my list, your results may vary.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I would have to say one of the norinco type d sks rifles that has the 16in barrel and takes ak magazines id say that would be the way to go.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I'm thinking a Savage 24,,22 or ,22mag over 20ga.good for anything in Indiana that walks, flies or crawls.Use the money leftover for a Mosin for the 300 yd. shots,then use the rest of the money for ammo.:cool:

Top Bottom