• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    [/QUOTE=phylodog;4750916]I've never seen real ballistic gelatin that was clear and there was a significant difference between the clear gel and the yellowish gel which was probably much closer to the real thing. I'm having a difficult time believing it'll be much of an improvement at such a light weight. What'd they say it weighed, 90 something grains? Figure it dumps close to half of that when those shards break off and your left with less weight in the slug than a 5.56 round which offers precious little without high velocity.

I'm thinking it offers more by way of looks than performance but I'm not an expert, perhaps they've unlocked something special. I'd be interested to see how it performs through body armor, may have some potential in that area.[/QUOTE]

There is clear ballistic gel that is 10%. Typically people make their own with gelatin, hence the color.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Works like a hole saw? Really? What would the revolutions per minute have to be for something to "hole saw" at the 1500 fps or so a 9mm at that weight is likely to see? 9mm is what, about a 1 in 10 twist rate? What rpm would that impart on the bullet?

Looks like yet another great way to kill the guy from septic shock 5 days after the shooting.

They didn't have a way to determine RPM, but it looks pretty fast to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrBm8C3WEE

99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    everyone balked at lehigh defense too... but they have been given very high marks. I have a box of .40 max expansion and a pile of milk jugs waiting for warmer weather testing. but if what I have seen and heard are even half way true; technology and proper research into rounds may change all of our thinking.

(for the record I have nothing but Gold Dots and HST's in my carry guns thus far)

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    whats the point? a hst or a gold dot stops in the body better, and those little pieces going every where could be bad news what if they come off in flight? will they go though glass well? i thinks it's a solution looking for a problem. besides i think there too light for 9mm i prefer the standard pressure 124 and 147 loads myself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Everybody slow down! Don't run out and pay $2 a shot for that performance!

When I got my snubby .357 magnum I did extensive testing in wet-pack. For .357 mag at least, the 110gr jhp Winchester white box works EXACTLY like these RIP projectiles...... And from a 1.25 inch barrel no less! the performance was very consistent. The penetration is 8 to 10 inches, the skirt tears free in several pieces and a hole of wet paper sawdust is left behind that you can fit your hand in. All this for about 60 cents a shot.......

Now bear in mind even though I LOVED the impressive CATACLYSMIC destruction left behind in my bucket of paper, I have it from good sources that the performance that I describe is abysmal........ Flesh is not paper (or gel for that matter) and I am told that my favorite loading is inferior in every way to the standard 125 gr. JHP that EVERYBODY else is using in their snubbys. (I tested 125's in my paper bucket, but there were no little explosions at all! No fun....) My point is that if you hunt around you can get ammo that works EXACTLY the same right off the shelf. You don't need hype, or high tec, or cnc milling to get those results. And you don't need to pay in excess of 3 times as much to get it!

There are standard rounds available that you can miss-use to get the desired results. Bypass the hocus-pocus, or at least don't pay extra for it!

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and choice of ammo. i just find it exciting to see technology opening doors and making things better. sure not every single idea will be a game changer or make things better but one just may! dont be so eager to down everything you dont know about.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and choice of ammo. i just find it exciting to see technology opening doors and making things better. sure not every single idea will be a game changer or make things better but one just may! dont be so eager to down everything you dont know about.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Works like a hole saw? Really? What would the revolutions per minute have to be for something to "hole saw" at the 1500 fps or so a 9mm at that weight is likely to see? 9mm is what, about a 1 in 10 twist rate? What rpm would that impart on the bullet?

Looks like yet another great way to kill the guy from septic shock 5 days after the shooting.

The disintegration into shards kind of reminds me of the old flechette shotgun rounds. Oddly my older Vietnam era family members always said they weren't designed to kill only to wound and use up manpower and resources for the intensive care the victim required.

Top Bottom