• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I'm thinking about buying a handgun at the 1500. I know there are advantages to every caliber. But which is best for everyday carry: 9mm, .45 acp, or .40 S&W?

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I carry .45ACP (1911) I prefer the bigger bullet for the stopping power. This has been widely debated, basically I think you will have to make a choice between price and damage (to the bad guy).

If you think you will be going to the range with the gun allot then I would say go with a smaller/cheaper caliber. But if you would rather put a bigger hole in an attacker then go with the .45ACP.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm thinking about buying a handgun at the 1500. I know there are advantages to every caliber. But which is best for everyday carry: 9mm, .45 acp, or .40 S&W?

Any of the calibers do their job, most of the time JMO it comes down to which gun catches your eye and feels right for you.
    Think about what you want the gun for, everyday carry vs. home defense, ammo prices, how much will you shoot it. Not taking anything away from the 1500 hundred but you might check around at the gunstores, why wait you most likely won't get any better prices at the 1500. JMO :cheers:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I like 'em all. It's the package that, for me, defines what I carry.

Right now there's nothing better than a 1911 in .45acp with a high ride grip. In fact, I built this grip so high that it starts into the thumb safety holes on the sides just a little. Lots of power (for a handgun) but minimal felt recoil.

Next project will be as close as I can come to an MEU pistol as I'm starting to find original parts and acceptable substitute parts.

It's not as high-ride, but it'll be a good 1911 nonetheless.

Just depends on what you shoot best.

Josh <><

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Caliber "wars" are a waste of time. If you employ a good stance, grip, sight alignment, and trigger squeeze, you can learn to shoot any caliber you choose.

Ballistics tests into ballistic gel, tell a tale, AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO VARIABLES.

In my opinion, once you leave the realm of ballistic gel, all "which one's better" bets are off, unless the bullet strikes in exactly the same place, penetrates exactly the same medium, (heavy clothing, bone or flesh, lung, etc ), and takes exactly the same path into/through the body.

If you can't put the rounds on target, a 44 mag won't do you much good..... the muzzle blast might be of some help.

... just my nickel's worth..... ;)

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I will add the same thing everyone else has said, get a pistol that you can shoot well and feel comfortable carrying. Keep in mind there is no magic bullet and there is only a 2mm difference between a 9 and 45. Im not going to volunteer to get shot by either one. Everyone on here will tell you the same thing. SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I love these threads. :D

I carry 31 9mm 147gr JHPs. There's nothing wrong with carrying .40/.45/.38/.357.

Here are some penetration results:
    calibercomparison.jpg

They'll all get the job done.

toucan2442

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    didnt post reason in other post but the 9mm seems a bit small the .45 is limited to ammo amount if going for some conceal and the .40 is in the middle!

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have it on good authority that if you don't carry a handgun in a minimum caliber of .454 Casull, you are a little-girly-fairy-man, and will be much better served by filing the front sight off, in the hopes of when the BG shoves the gun up your butt, it'll hurt less.

I read it on an internet forum, so it must be true.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Find the gun you like. As long as it is a major caliber don't worry what it is. They all will do the job. I shoot and carry both 9mm and .45. Don't feel underguned with either one. At times I will also carry a S&W Mod 60 in .38 and still do not feel underguned. Get what you like and learn to shoot it well.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well, I'm fond of the 45 acp and 357 magnums personally... but in todays economy and with the realization that stopping a assault on ones life is really more about placement, placement, placement than it is size or supposed foot lbs. of energy, I'd probally go for the 9mm today.... You can atleast feed the gun and therefore be able to place your shot when needed from the practice that you get....

Top Bottom