• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    My Winchester Model 88 .308 lever action passed down to me from my father. I even got to drop a my first deer with it on his last trip into the woods. As far as i'm concerned, that makes it the best one in the world.... but that's just me. :D

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    A Cetme is a good choice for the $$ I have had very good accuracy and lower recoil with the Cetmes I have owned. The factory sights are not the best, for the most consistent accuracy an add on after market sight is highly recommended.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i love FALs, but it seems like they're getting hard to find, even before the newest crisis?
    50year old FAL vs a new springfield.. HM.. not a hard choice there.. or am i looking in the wrong place.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Also look into ak variants chambered in .308. They'll take a beating, and some of them are moa capable.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How expensive and/or difficult would it be to further modify it to accept M14 mags like a BM59 and possibly a stripper clip guide on the bolt carrier like an M14?

There is a guy who does Garand to BM59 conversions. The BM59 receiver is not that different from the Garand receiver. But BM-59 mags were hard as hell to find even before the panic, but I think he offers M14 mag conversions too.

Mag-fed GarandShuff's Parkerizing | Shuff's Parkerizing

But for under $1000 the CMP can't be beat. It's hard to beat a basic garand. And when the CMP HXP ammo supply dries up, re barrel to 308.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    +1 for the DPMS LR-308. Have one and love it. Reliable and shoots < 1 MOA groups if I do my part.

My buddy just bought one (panic buy) and has never shot a round of any gun past 60 feet :D . I took him to the range to get it sighted in and he couldn't put a round in a 2" circle at 60 feet, but it isn't the rifles fault

:laugh:

I made a nice little clover and the gun felt like butter! I was seriously looking at an M1A, but after shooting his AR-10 I have changed my mind a bit.

I'd like to custom build a nice one, but I can't find a damn .308 lower ANYWHERE!

Nemick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Fishers
    Great thread that is coming at an opportune time for me. It's answering many questions I had as I search for the ideal .308!

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I've been really considering the lwrc repr or the armalite super sass once I find one instock!
    Heard great reviews on both rifles. will also be checking out FD Defense 308

Last edited:

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    M1A all the way. I have a Fal and a cetme they are nothing compared to a M1A. But if money is a issue i would go Cetme over FAL.

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    We may own or have owned a Cetme, FAL, M1A Socom and they are all very nice guns!!! But if you are worried about price and availablity I would say go with the Cetme it is the cheapest out of the 3 and the mags are dirt cheep and fairly easily to come by verses the FAL and M1A

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Any thoughts?
    I would like to hear your plan on how you expect to find one to buy?

I am calling a friend tomorrow and begging him to break off 3 stripped .308 lowers for me. He makes thousands of lowers in a week yet I am not sure I can get any from him. Not a big deal since I don't really need them but I want them.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I love my M1A. I've shot FAL's and the Cetme but for me it's the M1A.
    Now if it can be an '06, I own two Garands and probably shoot them more than the M1A.

How expensive and/or difficult would it be to further modify it to accept M14 mags like a BM59 and possibly a stripper clip guide on the bolt carrier like an M14?

Sarco has BM59 parts kits, I see them on the e-page in the parts kit section but I've never clicked on it to see whats included. Never seriously gave a thought to modify a Garand.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Love the Garands and M1A/M14....my older Fed. Ord. M14A with USGI parts in its Birch stock is dialed in and very accurate. Both of these rifles can be made accurate or can shoot poorly, lots of little things and tips to learn. One of the most is a good stock on either of these, without that they can suffer. So be aware of that if you buy used, also if you by used M1A/M14 look into checking the gas system, with time and wear it may need to be shimmed, easy to do. I learned of this when i got mine and it was in dire need to be shimmed, and believe this helped in accuracy....it now holds tight groups like my Colt HBAR.....but reaches out farther.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I chose to build my M1A/M14 on a Fulton Armory barreled receiver with USGI parts kit. Havent shot it much other than quick dial, but shoots well. It was a cool project. I checked a couple days ago, thinking about just buying another receiver and Fulton didnt have receivers listed to sell :(. So goes economics.

skimmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    the 308 cartridge is punny. 300 wsm!!!! all the punch of the win mag with half the calories!!

Azbsn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I have an FNAR 20" heavy barrel .308. This is an underrated gun. I love the Scar as well, but for the price the FNAR is a quality tack driver. I can hit a 3' x 3' metal target at 800 yards 8/10 times. It's got very little kick and very accurate considering its semi-automatic. I'm considering selling it but not sure if I can part with it yet. I Want to buy a SCAR .308 when the prices settle.

Top Bottom