Berretta Storm, class act or plastic junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Never had one, never shot one. Allready have plenty of bigger stuff and smaller stuff. Thought I might try one. I tend to shoot alot of rds through my guns, so was wondering how these hold up over the long haul, round counts over 5K. Any body have any comments on these? Thanks in advance, Dwight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    They are quality pieces. But if you're just looking for something fun check out Hi Points Carbines. They're reliable (youtube hi point torture test) built here in the U.S. Lifetime warranty, very custimizable. And plus with a pistol round you're still not looking at any real accuracy past 50 yards.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would disagree with the no accuracy past 50. I have personally fired a Storm at 100 (9mm) and with a pistol scope (4X) and a very rigid rest got 4-5 MOA. NOT bad considering the trigger was not match grade in any sense and the sight wasn't very good (cheapy scope). Now, power/energy past 50, that's another critter :D and ballistics/accuracy past 100, FAR stretch. :)

The Storm was very comfortable to shoot, like holding a taxidermied fish firing 9mm Mackerel. The internals looked good when my friend opened it up. He had over 2K rounds without a burble outside of initial break in. The manual does state no +P and alot of the internals looked sort of frail, but I would imagine still strong (as in my friend's carbine) and if not abused, should be a great rifle for a few thousand more.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I personally have not owned one but was able to shoot the one that my father had.
    Lets just say ....YUCK!
    Jam-o-matic to say the least!
    We never got a full magazine to fire without a FTF.
    I know my father sold his at a FT Wayne gun show a couple years ago. It was the happiest I have EVER seen him after selling something.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Worrying about a pistol beyond 25 yards? Hello, a pistol is used to fight your way to your rifle if longer distances are required.
    You do realize this is the long gun section right? I have a feeling the OP is asking about the Beretta Storm CARBINE.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I apologize I should have been more precise in my description. My inquiry was concerning the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. I see it is available in 9mm, 40, and 45 acp.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No idea but when speaking of accuracy in a 9mm carbine, keep in mind the Uzi was the standard rifle of the Izzy's for decades. They won a few "wars" with them too.

Personally a 9mm carbine would be preferable to a .45 to me because the drop on a .45 at 100+ yards (compared to a 9mm) is night and day.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Gee thanks for making me look like a total idiot.

Sorry jesse485, I obviously didn't see that this was the long gun forum. Guess I will just have to ban myself from this site for not paying attention.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't forget about the Kel-Tec Sub2000. I just caught one in .40. I have not fired it yet. I did some heavy research before my purchase. The sub2k won. Its cheaper, can take Glock mags, and it fits in my backpack. Win win win. YMMV

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Gee thanks for making me look like a total idiot.

Sorry jesse485, I obviously didn't see that this was the long gun forum. Guess I will just have to ban myself from this site for not paying attention.

I wasn't trying to make you look dumb, I'm sorry if that's what you understood from my post. I can see the confusion since Beretta chooses to call a rifle and pistol by the same name. Remymartin does have a good point, I own a s2k, and it's a neat little gun. The only thing I really don't like about it is the front sight, and there are ways to fix that. They take higher cap mags (G18), and are about 1/2 the price. Probably don't hold a candle to Beretta fit and finish though.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    My only experience with a 9mm carbine is HK MP5 and a semi version is way over priced. I don't know how good the clones are. I like the fact the Storm is available in 45 acp. I guess I can do like usual, buy one and shoot it, and if I don't like sell it for a beatin at the 1500 ;)

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a cx4 in .40 and love it. The trigger is nothing to brag about but over all I'm very happy with her. I've got somewhere between 3k to 4k down the pipe and have had zero malfunctions. I'd say blazer brass and WWB both 180gr make up about 99% of what I've shot through her.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    At first sight, I thought they looked stupid. The first time I held one, same thoughts. Gradually they grew on me to the point I HAD to have one. Bought it, LOVE it. I've only got about 500 rnds through it, but every time I hold it, shoot it or just look at it, I get that well known feeling in my pants and I love having interchangeable mags between it and my 90-Two. Mine is .40 and accurate to about 100 yards without any problems, ever. This thread is actually the only time I've ever even heard of any trouble from them.

ETA: The ergonomics are great.

Last edited:

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a 9mm CX4 and have never had an issue with it. My only complain is the trigger could be smoother but after you shoot is some you don't notice it. I know that there is a replacement trigger that you can get that makes it very smooth. I think they are well built and had no issues with mine. First time out we my first FNS two years ago when is was 28 degrees out and it ran like a champ then and still does. I have both a 9mm CX4 and 9mm AR and love both guns. everytime I get both of them side by side I am surprised how much shorter the overall length of the CX4 is to be the same barrel length. If I could only have just one I am not sure which one I would want to give up. Some days I would keep the CX4 and others it would the AR.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I always smile when I see people opine about how poorly pistols caliber carbines do for accuracy and power past 50 yards. As stated earlier, the Israelis killed plenty of people past 100yards with Uzis, the Brits did the same with Sten guns and Stirlings. The Germans did fine with MP40's and we killed a lot of enemy soldiers with .45 Thompson and M3 Greaseguns past 100 yards. Ferfal had some good insights into the pistol caliber carbines from his experiences in Argentina also.

NO, it is not a sniper rifle, it is combat accurate. No, it will not go through cover like a 3006 or 308, but it will make perfectly good holes in people. Having a Marlin Camp 9, A CX4 Storm, or a .357 lever gun is handy and makes sense.

Kollector03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    I had a 9mm Model 92 Carbine and really enjoyed it. 100% reliable over the several hundred rounds I fired (115g FMJ Commercial). I never decked it out other than the tactical package it came with (Front grip rail mount and grip and top rail. THe issue sights were a problem for me and was the reason I sold it off, that and the 9mm SBR that I built. Looking back, I regret selling the Storm. Only complaint I would have is the trigger pull was long and gritty.

For mu .02 cents, the Storm has a lot to offer and would be a good choice for a companion or HD carbine.

Don

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    DanO I concur on your comments, We trained past 100 yds with the MP5 when I was in the USMC, which is one reason I had interest in this piece.

Top Bottom