• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'm starting to research OC options for when my LTCH comes in (still have probably around 2 months), and was wondering if anyone had input onto why to get a horsehide holster for OWB? I don't think I'll sweat that much through my pants :lol:

I do miss living in VA and being able to OC without a permit :(

Tried a few searches and nothing came up, but I haven't quite got the hang of this site yet so sorry if it's been discussed a bunch!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Horsehide lasts much longer than cowhide. I have no experience with that claim but many online say it is true.

I've got leather IWB holsters that are 12 years old and show no signs of deterioration. Not to say horsehide won't last longer, I don't know, but I'll be dead before I wear out a quality cowhide holster anyway so the extra lifespan won't benefit me much.

I *have* sweated through a leather holster before, enough were the gun itself had a bit on it. For an OWB that won't be a concern. I wouldn't spend the extra cash on horsehide for an OWB, myself.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    was wondering if anyone had input onto why to get a horsehide holster for OWB? I don't think I'll sweat that much through my pants :lol:

1. Because of Indiana summers. It gets humid here. Cow gets wet and your pistol and hoslter become one. Denny Hansen of SWAT writes about being out in the hot sun in GWR one day and finding out that his pistol and holster had fused together from sweat.

2. You can fall into a stream, river, mud puddle and horse resists water better than cow.

3. Horsehide is more durable. I still have a Milt Sparks #60TK which I have used since 1995, other than a nice dueling scar from running the gun one handed at DHG3 at Thunder Ranch in 2002, it still functions just fine.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    If the holster will be OWB then just get whatever holster you like most, regardless of hide. I looked into this quite a bit myself when I was looking at holsters. There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

I bought an IWB holster in horse with the understanding that horsehide is denser than cow and repels sweat better. It's also a little stiffer and normally won't take dyeing as well as cowhide. I like my horsehide holster but it did cost a few dollars more.

I have no opinion on if it will last longer or be more durable than cowhide. I do think the horsehide repels sweat a little better but again, you're not likely to benefit from that for an OWB holster.

hokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If the holster will be OWB then just get whatever holster you like most, regardless of hide. I looked into this quite a bit myself when I was looking at holsters. There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

I bought an IWB holster in horse with the understanding that horsehide is denser than cow and repels sweat better. It's also a little stiffer and normally won't take dyeing as well as cowhide. I like my horsehide holster but it did cost a few dollars more.

I have no opinion on if it will last longer or be more durable than cowhide. I do think the horsehide repels sweat a little better but again, you're not likely to benefit from that for an OWB holster.

That's what I was thinking. Anyway, some interesting things to think about in this thread, good thing I still have a while before my license comes in! :)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm starting to research OC options for when my LTCH comes in (still have probably around 2 months), and was wondering if anyone had input onto why to get a horsehide holster for OWB? I don't think I'll sweat that much through my pants :lol:

I do miss living in VA and being able to OC without a permit :(

Tried a few searches and nothing came up, but I haven't quite got the hang of this site yet so sorry if it's been discussed a bunch!

What kind of gun will you be carrying? Do you want retention? The reason I ask, is that Gould and Goodrich make an extremely nice thumb break pancake holster that fits a lot of different guns. it's my OC holster of choice when I ride my motorcycle, I got it to fit my S&W model 66 combat magnum. It is made extremely well.

If you are carrying a gun that is non standard (not typical), then you may have to have a custom holster made...that takes 4-8 weeks...depending.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WB0Y0O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]this is the pancake holster i was talking about [/ame](I am a leftie, and I got mine in a week from Amazon for $58) I looks like it has gone down in price. :)

Here is a bunch they have for sale at Midway USA.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom