• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colts93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Noblesville
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I am new to firearms and only own an old 22 lr that my grandpa handed down to me. I plan on getting a handgun in the near future, but i am not sure what to get. This week i am going to Family Indoor shooting in indy to rent several handguns to test out. If anyone has suggestions to what handgun they feel would be best to try i am open to anything. Thank you!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Hey, you might want to do a search on this forum. Lots of people have asked your question, and the answers are already there.

Let me briefly summarize my recommendation -- you can probably find the longer version somewhere in a previous thread: take a class that lends you different guns to shoot, that allows you to do different defensive/competition drills. That's how you'll figure out which gun fits you. Before you know what you're going to do with the gun, it's hard to figure out what gun you need.

MMcarriesaSR9c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You are on the right track going to the range and renting a few. This will help you determine what caliber and style you are more comfortable with. I myself like the 9MM as does my wife. I have a Springfield XDs 9MM and my wife has a Beretta Nano which we carry daily. You will receive lots of opinions here, but the ultimate decision is what is right for you. Enjoy your time at the range. On a side note, we go to the range in Beech Grove. It is a little further to drive, but well worth it.

Happy shooting..

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What do you plan on using this first gun for? Target shooting? Plinking? Competition? Home Defense? Self defense (carry)?

Do you prefer revolvers or semi-auto? Have a dollar amount in mind? Any other factors worth considering?

Best advice I can give is to shoot as many different models in as many different calibers as you can. Eventually, you will find one that fits you well, you shoot well, and is comfortable to carry (if that is what it is for). Renting is good. Hitting the range with friends is even better (just buy the ammo). Then, if you can, buy used. In all likelihood, you'll end up wanting something different before long, and it is less painful to sell the first one if you didn't pay full retail!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Know that whatever you buy will be your first gun, but it will not be your last. Do not stress yourself about picking the gun that is right, so you'll not have to bother getting out of it and into something else. Whatever you get, make sure it's a quality gun and if you don't like it, you can sell it quickly, without losing too much money.

When I started carrying, I had to have a safety. Now, I detest safeties and only have them on my 1911's. I then carried a Glock because it was the most popular gun among the people whose opinions I trusted. It was great advice, but the gun wasn't for me. I now carry the M&P, not because it's the best, but because it's the best for me. You will find what is right for you, but it may not be your first purchase.

colts93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I plan on using the gun as home defense and obviously for practicing since I am not very experienced. I don't plan on using as a concealed carry as of yet simply because I do not have much experience with guns. I would prefer a a semi auto to revolver. I've been looking at the glock 19 and M&p 9c lately which have cost around 450-550 so id want my price range to be around that.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Welcome to the forum. You should post a quick note in the Introductions and Greetings forum to get the proper INGO welcome. :)

You've asked a very broad question and a very common one. It is very much like saying: "I want to buy a vehicle. What do you recommend?"

I recommend the following:
    Step #1- Figure out what you want to use the gun for: hunting, home defense, carry, target/competition shooting, etc. It can be for more than one function, but be aware that no gun is ideal for everything just like no car is ideal for every need.
    Step #2- It isn't clear from your post how much experience or training you've had with firearms. If you haven't had much, then the ideal answer would be to arrange for some personal training and ask that the trainer bring several firearms for you to try out. This will get you closer to understanding what you need in addition to helping to build your skills. You may figure out if you want a revolver vs. semi-automatic, what caliber(s) you are interested in, larger vs smaller handguns, etc. There are a number of very good trainers here in Central Indiana that you can find in the Training forum.
    Step #3- Once you are pretty clear on what you want to use the gun for and some physical parameters, then ask again. You will still get a bunch of answers, but at least you will be able to narrow it down to a more reasonable group to check out.
    Step #4- Figure out a few models you are interested in. Then find a way to handle them (often at a gun store or gun show) and if possible test-fire to find out which fit you best. It really makes a difference. Every gun design has small or large differences that can help you figure out what you really want.
    Step #5- Buy the gun, practice, and have some fun!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've been looking at the glock 19 and M&p 9c lately which have cost around 450-550 so id want my price range to be around that.

Both of those are quality guns so there is really no wrong answer.

Im partial to the Glock 19, Que above is partial to the MP. Neither answer is wrong, its just a individual preference.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Know that whatever you buy will be your first gun, but it will not be your last. Do not stress yourself about picking the gun that is right, so you'll not have to bother getting out of it and into something else. Whatever you get, make sure it's a quality gun and if you don't like it, you can sell it quickly, without losing too much money.

^^ what he said

It's hard to go wrong with a 9mm gun in the Glock or M&P series. They're both very popular for good reasons. If you decide it's not for you, you can find a buyer easily and you won't take a big loss in a private sale. Personally, I enjoy the Glock 19.

Whatever you get, give it a fair chance with plenty of range time. The more you shoot, the more your skills with the weapon will improve.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    As a new gun owner myself I went through this not long ago. The Glock 19 was my first choice, but the lack of a safety was a deal breaker for me. I'd still love to have a Glock, but not until I am more comfortable. That being said, I bought a Ruger SR9c which is reliable, accurate, an loaded with safety features (which I'm sure would drive a more experienced shooter crazy). I've shot my brother's M & P 9c too. I liked it well enough. Go shoot a bunch and have fun searching.

Papabeargsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anderson
    I'm really surprised nobody started a 9mm vs 45acp war. You should try as many handguns as you can when you go to the range and give revolver's a try. You never know what will work for you.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Get some training FRIST if you can afford it. Might seem a little expensive but it is worth MANY times what you pay for it. Hopefully you can do that at the range you plan on going to. (I am assuming this handgun will be for self-defense) This will help you in your choice of your new gun. There are many good places you can train around Indy, quiet a few are advertisers here on INGO.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My vote is also for a glock 19 or M&P 9. I decided on the glock 19 because it was the first I found at a LGS. I first started with a 1911, and all I did was figure out I wanted a glock 19.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    my first was a glock 23, love it, still do, great gun for me as a beginner, they work, not the prettiest, but then again i think they look great because they arent! shoot a bunch at a range and see what ya like.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Glock 19 or M&P.. Personally I'm partial to Glocks but what ever feels the best in your hand will probably suit you best.. The only downside of the M&P is the trigger and the Apex kit is pretty expensive. Costs about half as much to do a trigger on a Glock and get the same results.. Since you are a new shooter this may not be a consideration but I thought I would mention it.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduateCertified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor1911 Mechanic

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You will have to try several and do some thinking about what you want from a handgun.

1) Automatic or revolver?

2) Sub-compact/snubbie, Compact or full-size?

3) Target, hunting or self-defense?

4) Every Day Carry (EDC) or Home use?

5) Caliber: Stick with the common calibers for your first gun and narrow it down by your choices above(.22 LR, .380, 38 Special, 9mm, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45). Save the exotics, hand cannons and less common rounds for later.

6) Brand/Model: Again as with caliber, stick with something common and well trusted. You can experiment later, start with something you can trust and that has resale value if you decide you want something different. Names: Beretta, Colt, Glock, M&P, XDm/XDs/Springfield, Ruger, S&W (there are others but I don't think anyone will argue that these aren't all good names to consider).

Trying several at a range is a good idea and so is taking a class.

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    What ever you choose , you should check other gun shops prices before you buy . The shop you are going to is on the high end .

Top Bottom