• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Was thinking today about how I would like to practice so much more than im able to due to the restrictions of where i live. As i was strolling through the land of INGO, an add popped up trying to sell me a beretta copy BB gun. If i could shoot air guns in my backyard i could get quite a bit done.

anyone know if these little pistol bb gun replicas are any good or are they really just novelty.
    also, the biggest question is are their any ordinances against air guns in bloomington city limits?
    I got to a website that listed several laws but none of them directly reffered to air guns/air soft/pellet or BB.

I could set up a trap in my basement and probably be okay regardless but id like to be able to take it outside.

another option may be those little laser bullets. But that would certainly only be an indoor activity. Id really like to be able to shoot bbs for obvious reason of mark targets. The lazer seems less useful.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have no idea of the laws. I can't imagine it being a problem though if you've got a wooden fence or something around the backyard to keep any misses inside (and people from seeing you) I doubt you'd have to worry about anyone saying anything or any other issues.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im worried itll be a waste of time if they are just toys and completely inaccurate. I highly doubt i will get caught but id like to know what im getting into if i do happen to get called on.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Don't waste your time with the BB gun. Contact the Bedford Contingent Gun Range and schedule some time to use your actual firearms. This range is located 20 minutes south of Bloomington. Their rates are reasonable, and the group of people who run the range are top shelf.

Call Shannon Childers at 812-322-0897 for more information.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I live in Clarksville, along the Ohio river, and I'm pretty sure we have an ordinance against shooting an air gun within town limits, so I can't imagine bloomington NOT having a similar restriction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have yet to find an air rifle that is inexpensive to be anywhere near accurate. I spent $150 on what I thought was a reasonable 22 pellet gun, single shot, break barrel. Still couldnt get less than 4" groups at 25 yards. (benchrest, scoped)

I know people have them that can hold 1" groups or less, but those are as expensive as a real rifle. ($350 and up)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have one of these and it's pretty accurate + the slide reciprocates & locks open on the last shot. It's powerful & accurate enough to rip into a pop can at ~15 yards. Before I got an above ground pool I used to set up cans on sticks in the backyard. Above ground pool = don't shoot it or my Drozd full auto BB gun much anymore.

Beretta 92FS Green Gas Full Metal pistol. Airsoft guns - PyramydAir.com

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have yet to find an air rifle that is inexpensive to be anywhere near accurate. I spent $150 on what I thought was a reasonable 22 pellet gun, single shot, break barrel. Still couldnt get less than 4" groups at 25 yards. (benchrest, scoped)

I know people have them that can hold 1" groups or less, but those are as expensive as a real rifle. ($350 and up)

There is an art to shooting springer air guns. They require a different technique than firearms. That technique can vary gun to gun, but it boils down to letting the gun vibrate freely in an artillery type hold. A lot of springers are quite ammo picky also.

I have killed a lot of ground and tree squirrels in my back yard with a Gamo Shadow1000. 40 yards is about maximum effective range with 7X scope.

As to the OP, my town buddy says there is an ordinance against air rifles in town. He suggests not giving the neighbors/authorities reason for concern. He has a fenced back yard.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    From what I could discover online was that Indiana does not consider air guns to be firearms, however it appeared that this might be a county or local issue. Anyway I wasn't sure what my city or county might say so I just simply visited my local police. They told me that I was perfectly within my rights to fire my pellet gun within the city limits. I have a springer rifle but I have a wooden fence and I fire it at a steel trap box designed to catch the pellets. It's an Air Arms Pro Sport which I purchased via the internet as it isn't something you could find at any of the local big box stores and it has the capability of being extremely accurate.

Pellets are very cheap and since it's a springer I don't have to worry about any added expense like CO2 our air tanks. However because of that like people have said the method of holding a springer is slightly different.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My Cub Scout grandsons and I have a 15 foot BB gun range setup in the back yard. We use a Crossman rifle or a Daisy Red Ryder rifle and we have a million dollars worth of fun with a $39 BB rifle. We only shoot paper targets and we even have a backstop. It's a hoot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Id really like to improve my target acquisition time from holster to target. Ideally id like to set a target up around 7 yards and practice my draw speed. Ive noticed when i do this with my usual carry set up i end up starting my string higher and prefered and having to push down. A habit i would like to break.

Also, at this time in my life i seem to come across a lot of people who have never fired a gun before and are eager to try, and honestly id rather teach fundementals on a platform that is less intimidating.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I feel like you just need to be doing a lot of dry fire. That will improve things well. Then just actually shoot. You can buy a blue gun for very cheap too. Look in to that for teaching others fundamentals. You can literally do everything but trigger press.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I would agree more dry firing is always good but it doesnt give me much use able feedback. I want to draw, fire, check results. Adjust accordingly. Then fix my technique.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://nextleveltraining.com/

SIRTs-518px-accross-.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics