barrel leading starts 1 inch in front of chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am new to reloading 9mm cast and having a heck of a time with it. My best (so far) loads show a decent amount of leading starting 1 inch in front of chamber clear out to end of the barrel.Accuracy seems ok but only tried 25 rounds as a test. Does this indicate any specific condition? Cure for it? this is where I'm at now IBC 125 gr rn over 5gr unique(4, 4.5gr leaded horrible) barrel slugs 3558 bullets 3565+or- little almost no crimp, expanded more than for jacketed(these both helped some) I think i may need 357 boolits but ive got 900 more of these hoping ti find a usable solution tyhanks

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Witness match is a cz clone. Also have coal of 1.050 to keep it out of the rifling, had a ftfeed problem at longer lengths.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Might try moving up closer to the max powder rec. I know that leading can be caused by quite a few things, but if you're stuck on those boolits, might up the powder charge and see if it helps since you can't change hardness/diameter/etc.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Keep in mind that SOME lead is NORMAL..

You may increase your charge .2 to .3gr. and see if you then get a better seal. You WILL get some lead in your barrel when shooting cast..

Leading starting at the breach of a barrel indicates too low of a charge-lead mostly at the muzzle end indicates too high of a charge. That is IF your size and hardness is correct, which seems the case.

Read up what Brad has to say at missouribullet.com

If a "Chore Boy" wrapped brush takes it out in 1/2 dozen passes or so then you're good to go..Bill.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Ive only been makin 25 or so at a time so cleanup hasnt been a problem but so far all but the very last load i tried saw accuracy go out the window by the 25th shot.

My new lyman #4 shows 5gr unique to be max for a 125 rn is there some QUALITY data that shows a little more is safe?(on tip to head for max load) my oal cant gom past 1.050 or wont feed reliably.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Gas check isn't required on something that slow. To me this sounds more like too light of a charge. Try switching powders if you can. I personally like clays and trailboss for my cast loads. I get barely any leading, if any, on mine. I may have missed it, are these commerical bullets?

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    yes bullets are from IBC. Ive got an 8lb can o unique. really looking for a way to optimize these bullets in this poor configuration, and advice on whats causing it so I can fix it when I buy more bullets. Thinkin 357 sized might cure it, that seem right???

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    yes bullets are from IBC. Ive got an 8lb can o unique. really looking for a way to optimize these bullets in this poor configuration, and advice on whats causing it so I can fix it when I buy more bullets. Thinkin 357 sized might cure it, that seem right???

I personally run a .356 in my 9mm with no leading but that's with my own alloy. Where you located? if you're close, you can come over and try resizing them to .356 and seeing how that helps. I dont have a .357 die currently

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AFAIK, IBC only makes 18 BHN bullets. I agree with those who said to bump up the load/pressure if you can. The symptom (leading starting 1" from the chamber) points that direction. Anecdotally, Unique burns better at the upper end of its pressure range, but Unique and I don't get along, so I don't have enough experience with it to say for sure. There are a lot of powders that work well in 9mm, so it's worth it to try another powder... I think I would move faster, based on the theory that a faster pressure curve will obturate the bullet sooner, seal the bore from blow-by gasses which soften the lead, and reduce leading. Again, that's just a theory. My experiences with leading have been pushing them too hard in a .454 Casull. :D

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Since you are at rec. max on unique, perhaps a faster burning powder will do the trick at mid range to high end loads. Do you have any other powder on hand?

I run unique in my LSWC's in 45, and noticed a bit of leading when not near max powder charge due to many reasons. Best thing to do would be to either change powders, or resize.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Try some Tite-Group with those bullets. I cast my own 115g using wheel weights sized to .355 with a homemade bee's wax lube. I'm running 4.2g of Tite-Group and have zero leading in a Sig 226 and a RIA 1911 Tactical.
    We also cast .45's using the same lube and Tite-Group with zero leading

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    sized to .355

Red, you must have some tight bores in your handguns. Most 9MM's will lead when sized that small. That homemade lube MUST really be working for you!

My CZ's and Glocks like my "Home Cast" sized to .357".

It just seems to me that the .355" would be too small/lube or not?? Bill.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Red, you must have some tight bores in your handguns. Most 9MM's will lead when sized that small. That homemade lube MUST really be working for you!

My CZ's and Glocks like my "Home Cast" sized to .357".

It just seems to me that the .355" would be too small/lube or not?? Bill.

You made me go look! lol
    Yep, was .355. We did just barrow a Lyman 450 with the heater plate to try out and he sent .356 die with it. I've shot a few of these without any leading also.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ^^^

I would think that the .356" diameter bullets would be more accurate/less lead than the .355" sized ones?

I cast (Lee 6 gang mold) 125gr. RN bullets, with straight wheel weights, size to .357" through my RCBS LuberSizer, with "Jakes Red" for the lube. I also must heat the lube to flow. I shoot these at 1050-1075fps. with little/no leading, with great accuracy in my CZ's+Glocks (Lone Wolf barrels)...Bill.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I stopped using Unique in my 9mm loads. For me it works best in larger volume cases 38/357 and 45. I've had good success using 4.3 gr Bullseye and 124gr LRN boolits, (1050 FPS)

Top Bottom