• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'd like to see the Bartender's face when you walk in and calmly hand him a firearm. I'm sure they cover that at bartending school.

GLV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Loganport
    It doesn't matter if your falling down drunk or stone cold sober, a good self-defense shoot is a good self-defense shoot. An idiot who pulls a knife on you unprovoked is a good self-defense shoot.
    Not always, and if you truly believe that, I pray you have a top attorney on speed dial.

Oh, also have about 75 to 100 grand handy, and be ready for a civil case after the criminal one.

It is simple to me, if I go into a bar, and plan to have drinks, I leave the gun out of the mix.

Just the opinion of one very old fart:)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Not always, and if you truly believe that, I pray you have a top attorney on speed dial.

Oh, also have about 75 to 100 grand handy, and be ready for a civil case after the criminal one.

It is simple to me, if I go into a bar, and plan to have drinks, I leave the gun out of the mix.

Just the opinion of one very old fart:)

You know, you have to be able to rely on some minimum standard by which to judge your actions. In my opinion that minimum is the law as written. There's no way that everybody can always know all the obscure case law. There's no way that anybody can guess at the potential actions of the prosecutor who decides they're going to try to make a name for themselves by making an example out of you.

Thinking like that will make you second guess yourself & may make you hesitate at that critical moment...& then your dead. The statement "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" is cliche but when viewed within the confines of IN's fairly good self-defense laws it is pretty good advice.

There could be a 1000 aggravating circumstances but if the SD shooting falls within the SD guidelines then by definition it is a good shoot.

I will say it again - if an idiot pulls a knife on you unprovoked then it is a good shoot - even if you're drunk, tired, wired on caffeine, depressed over a recent break-up, etc., etc.,...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

Pet peeve of mine... if you are not convicted of a crime, you cannot be held liable in civil court for acting in self defense. PERIOD!

Regardless of your opinion on this matter (which is beating a dead horse), I really get annoyed when people throw the "and even if you survive the criminal charges they are going to SUE YOU INTO POVERTY!".

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Pet peeve of mine... if you are not convicted of a crime, you cannot be held liable in civil court for acting in self defense. PERIOD!

Regardless of your opinion on this matter (which is beating a dead horse), I really get annoyed when people throw the "and even if you survive the criminal charges they are going to SUE YOU INTO POVERTY!".

I hear so much about this, and I honestly dont understand which is correct. Can someone verify one or the other, and cite some sort of source?

Its far to confusing with everyone saying something different. It would be nice to know the honest to God truth for once.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    Last night I went out to a bar with some friends and we got to talking with the bartender about stuff and I brought up the question about how he would react if he saw someone in the bar who was carrying a gun. His response to me was this "Its simple I would let the officers at the door know about it because that is very illegal and we dont mess around with stuff like that." Myself and another friend tried to tell him that its not illegal as long as you have a permit but he refused to believe us.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hear so much about this, and I honestly dont understand which is correct. Can someone verify one or the other, and cite some sort of source?

Its far to confusing with everyone saying something different. It would be nice to know the honest to God truth for once.

I believe this is it:
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Indiana Code 35-41-3

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I believe this is it:
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Indiana Code 35-41-3

Ah, thank you!

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    As many have said there is no law against it but you may end up losing your LTCH. Keep in mind YOU MUST MAINTAIN YOURSELF AS A PROPER PERSON WHEN CARRYING!

Pull out that pink 8 X 10 paper you cut your LTCH from and read ALL of it. Front side, 2nd paragraph, last sentence. "Licenses are automatically revoked if the license holder does not remain a proper person".

4th paragraph, " The Superintendent of the Indiana State Police may suspend or revoke any license issued under this chapter if he has reasonable grounds to believe that the persons license should be suspended or revoked".

So if you go out get "plastered" and end up getting arrest for public intox or a DUI and you're carrying a firearm, don't you think that report will make it to the ISP. I know some agencies submit any and all arrest reports involving a firearm to the ISP.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    As many have said there is no law against it but you may end up losing your LTCH. Keep in mind YOU MUST MAINTAIN YOURSELF AS A PROPER PERSON WHEN CARRYING!

Pull out that pink 8 X 10 paper you cut your LTCH from and read ALL of it. Front side, 2nd paragraph, last sentence. "Licenses are automatically revoked if the license holder does not remain a proper person".

4th paragraph, " The Superintendent of the Indiana State Police may suspend or revoke any license issued under this chapter if he has reasonable grounds to believe that the persons license should be suspended or revoked".

So if you go out get "plastered" and end up getting arrest for public intox or a DUI and you're carrying a firearm, don't you think that report will make it to the ISP. I know some agencies submit any and all arrest reports involving a firearm to the ISP.

"Proper person" is defined by law, not subject to personal whims.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    "Proper person" is defined by law, not subject to personal whims.

#5 under the IC for proper person

(5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser

And the law says "IF HE (The ISP Superintendent) HAS REASONABLE GROUNDS TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSONS LICENSE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED OR REVOKED." Didn't say he had to be convicted of anything. From other members postings, it's a pain in the @$$ to go through the appeal process to get it back.

Do you really want to go out, get plastered, get arrested and take the chance those are all the "grounds" needed to lose your LTCH.

I'm not against bar carry. I just think you should drink responsibly when you carry, not get totally drunk or "plastered" as another member put it.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    IS this thread really still going on? the OP was answered so I can only assume this has become yet another to drink and carry or not to drink and carry thread?

Top Bottom