• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I recently started using Ballistol and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. I've been a longtime advocate of Break Free CLP as that was the standard product of the military. Before that, Grandpa always used solvent and gun oil, in the vein of Hoppes #9. These two methods have been my maintenance program for years. I was at the range and looking around when I see a flyer for BALLISTOL. Hmmm, what is this? Turns out that it was developed for the German Soldiers to maintain their weapons, the wooden stocks of their rifles, their leather boots and treat wounds.....yes, I said it, treat wounds.

I used it this past weekend with wonderful results, warning, it smells like a bad batch of black licorice, however, it is biodegradable and non toxicthrough skin contact (you can't drink it). A solvent that doesn't cause long term health concerns is really amazing to me and was worth the look. It's safe to use on the wood stocks and if it gets on the polymer frames of my handguns, no worries.

Just a heads up, this is a superior way to clean your guns and can truly be a one solution answer to cleaning, lube and protect from corrosion. You may still need to do the periodic copper cleaning for general maintenance, but for everyday cleaning uses, BALLISTOL is amazing.

I'm not a Ballistol rep either, just an avid shooter. :)

If you wanna do some research, go to youtube and type in ballistol.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I recently started using Ballistol and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. I've been a longtime advocate of Break Free CLP as that was the standard product of the military. Before that, Grandpa always used solvent and gun oil, in the vein of Hoppes #9. These two methods have been my maintenance program for years. I was at the range and looking around when I see a flyer for BALLISTOL. Hmmm, what is this? Turns out that it was developed for the German Soldiers to maintain their weapons, the wooden stocks of their rifles, their leather boots and treat wounds.....yes, I said it, treat wounds.

I used it this past weekend with wonderful results, warning, it smells like a bad batch of black licorice, however, it is biodegradable and non toxicthrough skin contact (you can't drink it). A solvent that doesn't cause long term health concerns is really amazing to me and was worth the look. It's safe to use on the wood stocks and if it gets on the polymer frames of my handguns, no worries.

Just a heads up, this is a superior way to clean your guns and can truly be a one solution answer to cleaning, lube and protect from corrosion. You may still need to do the periodic copper cleaning for general maintenance, but for everyday cleaning uses, BALLISTOL is amazing.

I'm not a Ballistol rep either, just an avid shooter. :)

If you wanna do some research, go to youtube and type in ballistol.
    I got hooked on it because that's what PatchWorm's pre-soaked patches were saturated with when I bought the kit.
    My daughter says it smells like licorice and bananas. :D

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    It's not just non-toxic, it's antiseptic. I read a few places on the web where it was used as a folk remedy, a spoonful at a time. That stuff has to taste ten times worse than it smells. I wouldn't recommend it and Ballistol doesn't either, but it's pretty interesting.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I like ballistol a lot. I use it on my glock. It works best when you give it a couple minutes to break stuff up. It doesn't smell as good as rem oil but I don't think it's that bad at all. Maybe it's an aquired taste. I always find it at the 1500 and get enough to last me.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    I love that stuff but its hard to find , I use it on anything metal . I kkep my deerstand cables and bolts sprayed with it so nothing gets weak and I dont get dumped on ground.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I just did a neat experiment with this, I was brought up with Hoppes No 9 and Rem oil as the way to clean guns, My grandfathers room smelt like Hoppes No 9 and it brings back great memories.

I cleaned my guns like always after going to the range today with Hoppes and did my typical over the top job. I then broke out the Balistol that I bought from Midway with my order recently on advice from a few people. I probably got 2 more patches of gunk back off the guns from the barrels and other areas.

I am really impressed with this stuff, it will probably not totally replace Hoppes but will be the stuff I use after that first round of cleaning to really get the gun clean. The fact that it is non toxic and bio friendly is a super plus.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Big +1 for Ballistol. It is great on knives also. Knives that are in storage, knives I collect and don't use I coat with Tuf Glide (not a great lube but a great rust inhibitor). For knives I use that might be used in food prep (skinning, pealing apples etc) or knives I might accidentally cut myself with. I use Ballistol as it is truly non toxic.

I have never used it for cleaning guns, but now I will give it a shot after reading this thread.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I've heard it smells like goblin ****. Does it have a strong odor?
    LOL don't know about Goblin ****, hope never too smell it, but it does have a different smell, like licorice mixed with others. Not really horrible but not as nice as Hoppes that is for sure.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? :dunno:

A handful of us met up at one of the Indy shows and 1946 was interested in why I was buying so much of the stuff (gun shows are the only place I've found it other than online where shipping is added)...
    I told him what my kid thinks it smells like (licorice/bananas) and so he took a can, spritz'd it and sniffed the air. I thought we were gonna have to call the EMTs, but apparently it was just his "that smells yucky" face. :D

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    A handful of us met up at one of the Indy shows and 1946 was interested in why I was buying so much of the stuff (gun shows are the only place I've found it other than online where shipping is added)...
    I told him what my kid thinks it smells like (licorice/bananas) and so he took a can, spritz'd it and sniffed the air. I thought we were gonna have to call the EMTs, but apparently it was just his "that smells yucky" face. :D

Testing out some new cologne was he? :laugh:

How much does this weird stuff cost at the shows?

Top Bottom