• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    EDIT: Maybe I should have put this in a different section...... wasn't really thinking.

Is anyone aware of any US made (922(r) compliant) grips that mimic the bakelite grips? I've found plenty from tapco and arsenal that are just black/od/earth/etc, but I'm really looking for something closer to what you might find on a nice polish tantal.

such as these:

ak26.jpg

Middle one.
    019.JPG

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Arsenal USA (Global Trades) used to make one, but I haven't seen them in several years. The US PALM product is probably a better bet (and more ergonomic, too).

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    IIRC, the new USPalm AK grip comes in a 'bakelite' color.

ETA: I guess its listed as 'brown'.

Scottsdale Gun Club Blog Rookie Reviews: US PALM AK Battle Grip (AKBG)

US PALM AK Battle Grip for AK47 - Brown SGCUSA.com

Hmmm, I've looked at the US Palm grip online, but it looks like a really really dull brown.The original Bakelite grip looks to be a lot brighter with a orange/red color (almost marbled). I need to see one of these in person.

Arsenal USA (Global Trades) used to make one, but I haven't seen them in several years. The US PALM product is probably a better bet (and more ergonomic, too).

So Arsenal DID make one of these grip in the style I originally posted? Hey, at least I know it's out there if I wanna cruise gun shows and classifieds.

Any others?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the "Brown Bakelite" US Palm grip. It matches the "Bakelite "Bulgarian mags pretty well. As for the grip itself, it is the only kind I use on my AK's, I love it. I just ordered one for the new AR as well.
    US Palm Kalashnikov Battle Grip

Do you have any decent pictures of your AK with the bakelite mag and us palm grip combo? In good lighting? Everything I'm seeing makes it just look really brown.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    164056_184464228238300_100000241730050_629192_4501571_n.jpg
    I'm not much of a photog. You are right, there is not much orange to it. More reddish-brown. The grip matches the mags, but the mags aren't really "Bakelite" color maybe? Should look better when I put a wire folder on it, though that has nothing to do with your grip question.:):

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not much of a photog. You are right, there is not much orange to it. More reddish-brown. The grip matches the mags, but the mags aren't really "Bakelite" color maybe? Should look better when I put a wire folder on it, though that has nothing to do with your grip question.:):

Yea, those mags aren't the orange bakelite mags I was thinking of.

The wire folder deal is *kinda* up my alley. I'm looking to put together a build that closely replicates a Polish Tantal, but with more quality than the CAI builds floating around (a wire folder would be on it). This is the only reason I'm even caring to look hard for the style AK grip in question.

It might help to see that US Palm grip on a wire folder AK.... the angle is definitely different from a traditional.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So Arsenal DID make one of these grip in the style I originally posted? Hey, at least I know it's out there if I wanna cruise gun shows and classifieds.

Yes, but it was Global Trades (aka Arsenal USA aka Armory USA), not Arsenal Inc. in Las Vegas.

You can also find the original Bulgarian/Polish/Romanian "bakelite" type grips online and at gun shows; why not just go with the real deal and make up your 922(r) part somewhere else on the gun?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes, but it was Global Trades (aka Arsenal USA aka Armory USA), not Arsenal Inc. in Las Vegas.

You can also find the original Bulgarian/Polish/Romanian "bakelite" type grips online and at gun shows; why not just go with the real deal and make up your 922(r) part somewhere else on the gun?

CURRENTLY, the plan is to build this from a Saiga 5.45

In my head I'm thinking I can use a Romanian side folder, US made wood handgaurd (ironwoods), and a tapco trigger, hammer, disconnector.

That leaves me with either the option of using a US made grip, or going with a US made gas piston (unless I'm missing something here). It just seems one would want a major moving part to stay Russian, or at least I would prefer it that way.

This is all planning right now, so my options are open. I'd just prefer to change out parts that aren't important to operation (i.e. grip) with US made stuff.

Last edited:

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    It's always been my understanding that it's the number of Foreign made parts that you are restricted to using, ATF does have a list published, but springs aren't noted on that list as counting as a foreign made no-no part. So I guess it doesn't matter how many US made parts you use, just the number of foreign made parts. Seems to be a useless ruling and unenforceable....here's what it says

§ 478.39 Assembly of semiautomatic
    rifles or shotguns.
    (a)​
    No person shall assemble a semiautomatic
    rifle or any shotgun using more
    than 10 of the imported parts listed in
    paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled
    firearm is prohibited from importation
    under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly
    suitable for or readily adaptable to
    sporting purposes.

(b)​
    The provisions of this section shall
    not apply to:

(1)​
    The assembly of such rifle or
    shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed
    manufacturer to the United
    States or any department or agency
    thereof or to any State or any department,
    agency, or political subdivision
    thereof; or

(2)​
    The assembly of such rifle or
    shotgun for the purposes of testing or
    experimentation authorized by the
    Director under the provisions of
    § 478.151; or

(3)​
    The repair of any rifle or shotgun
    which had been imported into or assembled
    in the United States prior to
    November 30, 1990, or the replacement
    of any part of such firearm.

(c)​
    For purposes of this section, the
    term
    imported parts are:
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings,
    forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You must have 10 or less foreign made parts from THAT LIST.

Springs aren't listed, so it doesn't make a difference to change them.

That is my understanding.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You must have 10 or less foreign made parts from THAT LIST.

Springs aren't listed, so it doesn't make a difference to change them.

That is my understanding.

Your understanding tracks with mine. :yesway:

That leaves me with either the option of using a US made grip, or going with a US made gas piston (unless I'm missing something here).

If you're dead-set on the "bakelite" pistol grip, get an original one and go with the US gas piston instead.

Also don't forget that if you add a muzzle device, it will need to be US-made, as well, in order to maintain your parts count.

I would urge you rather strongly to rethink the Romy wire folder. I had one once upon a time because it was "correct" for that gun (Intrac-import MkII, configured as an AIMS-74), but I despised shooting with it. Only the Hungarian AMD folders are worse, IMO.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your understanding tracks with mine. :yesway:

If you're dead-set on the "bakelite" pistol grip, get an original one and go with the US gas piston instead.

Also don't forget that if you add a muzzle device, it will need to be US-made, as well, in order to maintain your parts count.

I would urge you rather strongly to rethink the Romy wire folder. I had one once upon a time because it was "correct" for that gun (Intrac-import MkII, configured as an AIMS-74), but I despised shooting with it. Only the Hungarian AMD folders are worse, IMO.

I dunno... I already got a Rommy folder on my 7.62 conversion and like it pretty well. :) Hard to see in the pic, but its there.

UP4.png

What bugged you about the folder?

The good news about the muzzle device, is that there are PLENTY of US made ones available. So I've got no worries about that.

What I do worry about, is how the US made piston is going to perform. I've know of no one that has attempted to use them. So it's concerning.

I still need to come into Bradis and order the 5.45 anyways, so I have time to look for a US made one global trades grip... and go with an original as a fall back because they are real easy to find.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've know of no one that has attempted to use them.

How 'bout all of the Century WASR series rifles? Oh wait, maybe that's not a very good endorsement. :):

There are a number of mfrs out there offering US gas pistons for AKs. They're not rocket science; heck, the piston itself isn't even a moving part (though it's attached to a bolt carrier that moves) so as long as it's the correct length and diameter, you should be good to go.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hahaha. Century WASR builds are definitely not a ringing endorsement.

Perhaps you are right though. The piston probably isn't real critical and shouldn't cause any harm. Probably the easiest option at this point (as far as finding the parts anyways).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom