• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    I want to be able to hike 5 to 10 miles in and camp for a couple days by a lake that has some fish . Anyone know anywhere to do this close to nwi

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Or anywhere in the state for that matter....
    Hoosier National Forest / Brown county is the only place remotely large enough I can think of.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    No where in NWI. In Indiana you'll need to come way south of Indy to find something like that. Down near Lake Monroe, Deam Wilderness Area, Harrison Crawford Forest or maybe the Clark State Forest. I have no idea what Michigan would have to offer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Indianapolis south
    If you consider shades skatepark to be close enough, they have a backpack camp ground which is pretty nice. I have camped out there with my wife several times and we never saw anybody else. The dnr brings out ice and firewood once a day when you camp there. Plus, the canopy is very dark at shades and they call it shades of death because it has a crazy history (according to the map). Very nice camp, right by sugar creek.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    No where in NWI. In Indiana you'll need to come way south of Indy to find something like that. Down near Lake Monroe, Deam Wilderness Area, Harrison Crawford Forest or maybe the Clark State Forest. I have no idea what Michigan would have to offer.

What he said. I've backpacked Lake Monroe several times- nice trails and decent fishing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    I assume since this discussion is on INGO that you will be carrying a sidearm of your preference. Keep in mind that ACOE properties are off limits (i.e. Monroe Lake, and ACOE controlled boundaries of Patoka and some other lakes) to carrying firearms. I enjoy the Hoosier NF and have hunted in the Birdseye area for several years. I suggest finding an area within the HNF or Deam Wilderness and giving it a go. With some research, you ought to be able to find a body of water (albiet, nothing the size of Lake Monroe) to camp near and have a nice quiet, enjoyable stay.

Check out the Salamonie and Mississiniwa state parks areas near Huntington. They may or may not have backpacking areas you could explore. Also Shades SP is a under-appreciated Indiana gem. All three are closer to NWI than HNF or Deam.

I have no idea what your skill level is when it comes to navigational skills, but I would highly recommend learning how to use a good quality compass and topo map for your chosen area. While we are still in Indiana and not exactly the middle of no where, it is possible to get turned around enough in the HNF to unintentionally extend your stay for a extra night if you get lost. Not to mention its a great skill to have anyway.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    I assume since this discussion is on INGO that you will be carrying a sidearm of your preference. Keep in mind that ACOE properties are off limits (i.e. Monroe Lake, and ACOE controlled boundaries of Patoka and some other lakes) to carrying firearms. I enjoy the Hoosier NF and have hunted in the Birdseye area for several years. I suggest finding an area within the HNF or Deam Wilderness and giving it a go. With some research, you ought to be able to find a body of water (albiet, nothing the size of Lake Monroe) to camp near and have a nice quiet, enjoyable stay.

Check out the Salamonie and Mississiniwa state parks areas near Huntington. They may or may not have backpacking areas you could explore. Also Shades SP is a under-appreciated Indiana gem. All three are closer to NWI than HNF or Deam.

I have no idea what your skill level is when it comes to navigational skills, but I would highly recommend learning how to use a good quality compass and topo map for your chosen area. While we are still in Indiana and not exactly the middle of no where, it is possible to get turned around enough in the HNF to unintentionally extend your stay for a extra night if you get lost. Not to mention its a great skill to have anyway.

actually one of the trailes in the Deam dead ends into lake Monroe , i have spent alot of time in the Deam, great place to get away do some hiking and hammock camping.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    actually one of the trailes in the Deam dead ends into lake Monroe , i have spent alot of time in the Deam, great place to get away do some hiking and hammock camping.
    Ive heard that was well but I think its a bit of a pavement hike.

Also if you havent backpacked before I would highly recommend doing some smaller trips first so you dont end up over estimating yourself and getting in trouble in the middle of ho where. NWI is too much farm land or too industry to have any big sections of parks, so your only option in indiana is HNF other southern indiana trails.

heres a link to all DNR trails in indiana

Now youll have to forget your handgun but you can go to Illinois

michigan
    is your best option really for NWI.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

Ive heard that was well but I think its a bit of a pavement hike.

The Peninsula Trail dead ends into Lake Monroe. It's a horse trail though, so you do have to deal with that. Makes it a ***** if the ground is wet, because they just churn it into a mudhole in places. No pavement, and you can go in at the Grubb Ridge Trailhead or a longer hike would be the trailhead at the horse camp.

I did an overnighter this spring and it was relatively quiet.

P1040112_zps46b0e728.jpg

P1040111_zpscb51a67f.jpg

P1040114_zpsab21043d.jpg

Last edited:

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    ive been meaning to do the Grub Ridge trail and venture down the Peninsula trail to the Lake but we usually end up doing the Sycamore trail, we got a nice camp spot off the main trail not to many people know about, and its a nice moderate to easy loop, i think 5-7 miles or something like that, maybe less. camp sight #4 is very nice if you find youself down that way sometime though hiking and camping

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I took a canoe across the lake once and camped on a little island or something from the other side in which we parked and it was beautiful too.

Top Bottom