• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Ive noticed lately that the more I CC, the more lower back pain im getting. Im already susceptible to back pain in my past, so I never thought to tie CC and the pain together. I have a Raven holster (use it IWB), G19, and a Wilderness 1.5" belt. Everything fits firmly, and comfortably but Im still getting back pains. Its more prevalent on days that I walk over 2 miles while CC. Anyone have similar experiences? any possible solutions? I thought maybe the supertuck style that holds the gun in the small of your back would be an option...but I love my Raven so much! G19 is about as small as I would want to go, but maybe something smaller and light might help? :dunno:

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    The weight of the gun certainly has something to do with it however I think it is the belt more than anything. Gun belts are so stiff (and rightfully so) however it tends to pinch nerves, at least they do on me.

It's a necessary evil though.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I occasionally have some issue with lower back pain, mainly when wearing jeans.
    I can't say I've had issue with wearing any type of pants that are of a lighter weight cotton than jeans.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    yeah i dont think the pants/shorts make a diff with me, but I dont recall this problem in the winter where I do OWB more often.

I suppose now that I think about it...when I wear jeans, I use a 1.5" leather belt, as opposed to using a canvas or duty belt type with all other shorts and pants of the lighter cotton.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ive noticed lately that the more I CC, the more lower back pain im getting. Im already susceptible to back pain in my past, so I never thought to tie CC and the pain together. I have a Raven holster (use it IWB), G19, and a Wilderness 1.5" belt. Everything fits firmly, and comfortably but Im still getting back pains. Its more prevalent on days that I walk over 2 miles while CC. Anyone have similar experiences? any possible solutions? I thought maybe the supertuck style that holds the gun in the small of your back would be an option...but I love my Raven so much! G19 is about as small as I would want to go, but maybe something smaller and light might help? :dunno:

The weight of the gun certainly has something to do with it however I think it is the belt more than anything. Gun belts are so stiff (and rightfully so) however it tends to pinch nerves, at least they do on me.

It's a necessary evil though.

If the pain is sort of radiating from the lumbar towards the hip,
    I going to go with the carrying IWB.

(this is not going to be a CC/OC argument)

It's more than likely changing the way you walk causing a different hip rotation that will throw the alignment of the hip out a little, putting pressure on the sciatica nerve.

If you lived near Mooresville, I'd recommend Dr. Kirkling, the resident guru Chiropractor. He's a master at relieving back pain and has fixed this exact problem for me on more than once occasion due to me working in the beverage industry and moving countless cases of beer a day.

Great guy and not one that says 50 visits and we'll fix it, he only has you come as long as you have the pain and then you're good to go. I'm usually fixed in about 5 or 6.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    carry more mags on the opposite side to offset the weight! It sounds like it is an issue of an unbalanced load. I had the exact same problem..... I didn't carry spare mags for a long time (figured if I got into the shiite and needed more than 12 rounds, it was a fight that I had no business in), thus keeping the weight of the gun on just my right side. I noticed that after a while (usually after I had moved around for a few hours), my lower back would start to ache. I mentioned this to a buddy of mine, and he said carry a couple mags opposite of your weapon - distribute the weight - and I would notice a huge difference. I did, and it works wonders. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I live with back pain most of the time. If it gets really bad, I will switch from my G19 or M&P carried IWB to my Kahr or LCP in my pocket. It is definitely more comfortable for me to sit down while carrying in my front pocket than IWB.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'd be willing to bet it's your walking style that changes with a gun IWB rather than the equipment itself. Might try thinking of your movements when you're carrying, you might notice you're reducing your range of motion due to pressure in the area of the gun.

I HIGHLY doubt it's the gun or equipment. It just isn't enough mass nor does it force postural change. However a change in posture may be behind your pain.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Could possibly be carry location. I notice more pain when my 386 S$W is hitting more on my side rater than slightly infront or behind 6 or 9o'clock. I always where jeans and usually have split belt loops.

Top Bottom