• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been delaying my foray into reloading because of the lack of availability of a lot of the necessary stuff. I did a quick look at Midway today, and it looks to me like it is still difficult to obtain primers. Maybe the other components are more available than they were, say, two months ago.

Are my observations accurate?

If you were starting from scratch, would you go ahead and start, or would you wait awhile longer?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'd go ahead and start collecting the odds and ends you need. Primers are still difficult to obtain, so if you find some at a decent price I'd snag 'em first! $40-$50 is NOT a decent price, btw. Ammo is starting to show up on shelves again, and I think components aren't far behind.

This is a good time to be learning, since you might as well take your time. It may be difficult to find compenents to load in bulk just yet.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Yeah might as well get your equipment bought ready to go. The shortages will surely ease up.
    I've been looking for bulk jacketed pistol bullets without much luck. Just out of curiosty I checked on brass availabilty. In many cases it is out of stock too at this time.
    My plan now is to go with cast lead bullets for plinking : 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Special and 44 Mag.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Your probably not going to want to buy powder or primers online anyway the hazmat charge sucks. Unless you are buying a lot at a time its probably cheaper to just buy from a local vendor. I have found large pistol primers pretty easy for about $30 per 1000 and powder for around $20 per pound. I am wanting to order bullets from this company they seem to have good quality at decent prices...
    .45 cal 230 grain PLATED - Rocky Mountain Reloading

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Components are becoming more available. But it follows a strange trend:
    To me, it seemed like this:
    1. EVERYTHING related to reloading was impossible to find.
    2. Then Primers, bullets were hard to get.
    3. Then powder hard to get, primers still short supply
    4. Now primers are hard to get, everything else is harder to find but out there and usually at prepanic price.

It's like the hoarders are sitting on powder and primers, but powder slowly coming back in. Folks aren't loading as much or buying as much due to various reasons (not enough primers in supply, recession, etc...)

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I'd first find some primers and dies then you should be able to easily get all the other items on line or from your favorite gun shop. I keep my name on several on line reloading supplier's backorder list for primers and have been able to keep a good supply as they trickle in...

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    If you were starting from scratch, would you go ahead and start, or would you wait awhile longer?
    If you want to get into reloading I don't see a real downside to getting started now. Most all the equipment you will need is readily available if you shop around---especially on line. as far as components---brass is available---bullets are available---some powders are in short supply but you can always find a suitable substitute---and primers are starting to show up and come back to real "retail" prices. I should think a WTB add on this board would flush out a few hundred primers---also there will be primers at the Indy 1500 this weekend and the local shops are getting them pretty regularly now.
    Last winter when the panic buying dried everything up--and drove prices to all time highs---I patiently searched the net---bookmarked websites and found pretty much everything I needed and didn't pay thru the nose so the components were out there but you had to be ready to buy. Now inventories are being replaced and I look for things to be back to normal in the first quarter of 2010 as far as reloading is concerned.

Steve

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Randy, what caliber? I might be able to help you out and get you started.
    Thanks, man (started to call you by name, but I noticed that your profile doesn't have your name listed). I will probably start accumulating what I need and setting my equipment up this winter. I'm sure I'll be asking you for advice.

It means I have to stop buying guns and start buying other stuff. That's the hardest part.

I think I'll probably want to do .308 Win and 5.56 NATO. I might want to see if I can .50 AE, too. My other handgun calibers don't seem like they would be worth the trouble.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Even if you have to pay $.04 a round for primers, it's still cheaper than buying factory. I would get started with one caliber, then work into the rest as things ease....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks, man (started to call you by name, but I noticed that your profile doesn't have your name listed). I will probably start accumulating what I need and setting my equipment up this winter. I'm sure I'll be asking you for advice.

It means I have to stop buying guns and start buying other stuff. That's the hardest part.

I think I'll probably want to do .308 Win and 5.56 NATO. I might want to see if I can .50 AE, too. My other handgun calibers don't seem like they would be worth the trouble.

LOL

You'd have to pick the calibers that I'm low on! You can definitely save some serious coin reloading rifle calibers though.

Unless 9mm is your only pistol caliber you can still do well reloading... especially if you shoot revolvers. Regarless, I can reload 50 pistol rounds for about $6/50 if I shoot lead, and $8-$10/50 for cheap plated bullets or cheap FMJ.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    A couple of links

Rmcrob,

+1 on the reference to Rocky Mountain products...Brassman also has good deals on great bullets.

I shoot more cast lead than anything and really like Missouri Bullets. Fast shipping. They will charge you $10 to ship 2K bullets. (Pity the postman!)
    Go over to The High Road forum and do a search on Missouri B. You will find a discount code to boot.

MONTHLY SPECIALS

Missouri Bullet Company

WARNING! Reloading may damage your bank account and may only cause you to shoot more. :):

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    +1 for Missouri Bullets. The prices are impossible to beat, and fast shipping. Worth it if you shoot a lot of lead.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    I think central Indiana is starting to see more component and ammo availability. Even Gander Mountain is starting to have a selection of primers stay on the shelf for awhile. Not that I'd want to pay their prices, but I went several months without seeing ANY on their shelves.

Primers seemed to be plentiful at the INDY 1500 show, at least through the end of the first day. Prices typically $38-$40/1000. Definately more reloading supplies/equipment than in the last year.

Maybe were past the worst of it.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    I concur with, go ahead and start collecting the needed supplies and equipment. Another plus is that you can do it a bit at a time. Won't take a huge hit all at once.

Top Bottom