• ...and so much more!
  • gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    Rant
    Fault likely lies with something else or someone else because we all feel the need to be so dang connected these days (myself included on INGO) that no matter what action you take, someone else will be affected (good or bad) in some way. shape. or form. I do, though, get pissed when going about my day causes someone to see, think, feel, act, opine that my doing so has interrupted their day. Rant over - mind your business.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I was at a restaurant and me and a buddy over heard a old lady asking this table full of early 20 year olds for help. Her husband was stuck on the toilet and she couldn't lift him. Well this group of guys and gals just thought this was funny as hell. As they were laughing we got up and went to there table to tell her we would gladly help. All laughing stopped instantly... Well we helped him off, pulled his pants up and put him in his wheelchair. the whole time joking with him to help with his obvious embarrassment. If I caught my girls treating another human being like that I would put them in a wheelchair. When did we stop being human.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I was at a restaurant and me and a buddy over heard a old lady asking this table full of early 20 year olds for help. Her husband was stuck on the toilet and she couldn't lift him. Well this group of guys and gals just thought this was funny as hell. As they were laughing we got up and went to there table to tell her we would gladly help. All laughing stopped instantly... Well we helped him off, pulled his pants up and put him in his wheelchair. the whole time joking with him to help with his obvious embarrassment. If I caught my girls treating another human being like that I would put them in a wheelchair. When did we stop being human.

Thats awesome that you guys stepped in to help. Thank you.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010

It started with a generation that isnt held to be accountable. A generation of kids that always got something for nothing. A generation that expects handouts. A generation that gets a time-out or a "dont do that again," instead of getting a good old spanking. Not a generation that is willing to put in a hard days work, or willing to put a fun activity aside so that they can help someone in need, or help a family member with something.

Im only 27, and I can see so much change... Granted I was raised in a family that didnt have a lot of money, and if you wanted something, you would work for it. I was also raised in a household, that if I acted like an *******, I got a butt-beating for it. Thats how it should have been, and while at the time, I hated the spankings, now I am thankful it was that instead of being treated like some sort of brat.

Im not going to lie, Im scared to see where this country is heading with some of these douchebags up and coming...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is sad really.

A few years back I was being interviewed for a P.D. job. The officer performing the interview asked me about a speeding ticket I had got shortly out of high school. I told him what happened, and that I paid it shortly after without issue. He asked why I didnt fight it, to which I replied "I screwed up, I know I was speeding. The officer that issued the citation wrote the citation a slightly adjusted, as to keep my car out of the impound. Why would I cause him a problem and make him have to go into court for simply doing his job?" I think the interviewing officer was a little more than shocked.

Point is, part of being an adult is taking responsibility for your own actions. Its just that simple...

This attitude starts at home....period.
    Our society has attempted to level the field of play so everyone gets a trophy for just showing up. Self esteem by eliminating bad grades even to those that fail to read at grade level. The system is broken, parents are not being parents (not all but enough....you know who you are) and kids are running amok.
    Until this base level involvement changes we are screwed.............:rolleyes:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Please tell me you have driven a truck or CMV through all sorts of traffic and had several people in a row cut you off to slam on the brakes then fly you the bird because you almost rear ended them and jackknifed trying to avoid hitting them or had a bus load of kids scream all at once because someone wants to get in front of the bus to lock up the brakes.

Or do you just sit in an office and ask how hard is it to drive for a living?

I got my cdl in 1999 and drove 48 states for about 4 years. I then quit that and drove local in indianapolis for 8 years driving about 250miles a day just in the indy area. My boss then transitioned me to management which I do full time now, so yes I do have the experience.

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    I was taught and still believe in the basics. Treat others how you want to be treated. Do for others what you hope they would do for you. Respect others and most definitely respect your elders. Take consequences for your actions. Still believe in it very much.

Like someone else said, pretty sure it starts in the home. :yesway:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I got my cdl in 1999 and drove 48 states for about 4 years. I then quit that and drove local in indianapolis for 8 years driving about 250miles a day just in the indy area. My boss then transitioned me to management which I do full time now, so yes I do have the experience.

So you are aware of what fun the drivers have out on the streets dealing with traffic let alone all the other joys of the trucking/cdl world?

By your last post it seemed as if you have something against all truckers/cdl drivers.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What we are dealing with is a whole generation that was raised to believe that "you are special."

I saw the results of a news study recently that asked college age individuals how they would rate themselves in society. More than 80% of the respondents described themselves as "above average."

Well, when I went to school, that kind of math did not add up.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    It's natural for people to complain. If you think it's annoying to read people complaining on a forum work retail where you have to deal with people every minute of the day and get back to me. I get what the op is saying about the new generations but that's what all old people say about the youngins like me :D

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    What we are dealing with is a whole generation that was raised to believe that "you are special."

I saw the results of a news study recently that asked college age individuals how they would rate themselves in society. More than 80% of the respondents described themselves as "above average."

Well, when I went to school, that kind of math did not add up.

Thank you, you are the first person I've seen to consider the fact that my generation was in fact raised by the previous generation! :):

It's natural for people to complain. If you think it's annoying to read people complaining on a forum work retail where you have to deal with people every minute of the day and get back to me. I get what the op is saying about the new generations but that's what all old people say about the youngins like me :D

This....sooooo much of this. If you worked in a pharmacy, you'd think the baby boomers were everything that people describe my generation to be.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thank you, you are the first person I've seen to consider the fact that my generation was in fact raised by the previous generation! :):

This....sooooo much of this. If you worked in a pharmacy, you'd think the baby boomers were everything that people describe my generation to be.

There's never been a generation that hasn't complained about the degenerate generations that followed theirs.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute

Im not talking just one generation. It isnt just the early 20's and Im not saying Im any better then the next. I have made a decesion to worry about myself first and wanted others to maybe think about their attitude also. If I always have a bad day or something to complain about maybe I need to look at what Im doing to cause the bad days and the trouble.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This.

It gets old when people can't use a little common sense and courtesy. Truck drivers ***** because some people make our jobs a lot more stressful and harder than it needs to be so they don't have to add 5 minutes to their commute. It can be really aggravating, and I've always lived by the rule that when I make a mistake, I man up and say its my fault, but sometimes it seems like people try to see if they can get ran over!

After you've had a trucker on your bumper, blaring his horn, in bumper to bumper traffic moving slightly above the speed limit or have a few try to run you off the road because they think they own the lane coming off of off ramps (that they weren't occupying or had any business occupying), it is really hard to care much when the good drivers complain. The guy that was on my bumper got around me as soon as he could and locked his brakes. His 5'3 120 pounds got out and started walking to my truck looking for a fight. He was a couple feet from my bumper when I got out and it didn't take him long to be back in the truck and get it moving.

Not all truckers are idiots but there are enough that it has been a shock lately to see ones that extend any kind of courtesy to others on the road. And yes, I pay attention to pedestrians, cyclists, motorcycles, school buses, passenger vehicles, and big trucks.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    After you've had a trucker on your bumper, blaring his horn, in bumper to bumper traffic moving slightly above the speed limit or have a few try to run you off the road because they think they own the lane coming off of off ramps (that they weren't occupying or had any business occupying), it is really hard to care much when the good drivers complain. The guy that was on my bumper got around me as soon as he could and locked his brakes. His 5'3 120 pounds got out and started walking to my truck looking for a fight. He was a couple feet from my bumper when I got out and it didn't take him long to be back in the truck and get it moving.

Not all truckers are idiots but there are enough that it has been a shock lately to see ones that extend any kind of courtesy to others on the road. And yes, I pay attention to pedestrians, cyclists, motorcycles, school buses, passenger vehicles, and big trucks.

:+1:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

Ok, your right. +1 the stupidity gets old. I feel like I'm a courteous driver, I let people out into traffic if I can, I never, ever tailgate! I don't need to kill somebody and have to life with that! I guess it's like everything, your gonna have idiots in every job, and I don't make any excuses for the ones that drive like that, it's not safe and they shouldn't do it. All I ask is for a little room to work when I'm driving.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    It started with a generation that isnt held to be accountable. A generation of kids that always got something for nothing. A generation that expects handouts. A generation that gets a time-out or a "dont do that again," instead of getting a good old spanking. Not a generation that is willing to put in a hard days work, or willing to put a fun activity aside so that they can help someone in need, or help a family member with something.

Im only 27, and I can see so much change... Granted I was raised in a family that didnt have a lot of money, and if you wanted something, you would work for it. I was also raised in a household, that if I acted like an *******, I got a butt-beating for it. Thats how it should have been, and while at the time, I hated the spankings, now I am thankful it was that instead of being treated like some sort of brat.

Im not going to lie, Im scared to see where this country is heading with some of these douchebags up and coming...

Agreed! Been working for 25+ years, & other than the rare exceptions:
    1) Enabled kids = Lazy workers.
    2) Kids raised primarily on handouts, stay on those handouts in life.
    3) Kids raised where they were expected to contribute, & corrective action was used to correct unacceptable behavior = good, hardworking employees.

As stated, there are always exceptions, but talking with co-workers, learning about their upbringing, there are very common themes.

#2 above comes from my wife that works for a non-profit adoption agency, as I don't really encounter those types @ work.

Top Bottom