• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I saw Atlas Shrugged, Part 3 this weekend.
    It had low value as entertainment, but moderate to high value as far as message. If you liked the first two, I suggest you see this one.
    I particularly liked that the banker "shrugged" when the government forced him to loan money to people who couldn't pay it back and the doctor left society when the government told him what treatment he could give his patients. We have seen that much already.

More and more companies are moving their operations and headquarters overseas because of costs imposed by the government and government interference. This will continue as long as John Galt's message is ignored.

It is possible to have a just and vibrant society, but that won't happen as long as the government values its own power over solving the country's problems.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...It is possible to have a just and vibrant society, but that won't happen as long as the government values its own power over solving the country's problems.

A society that thinks government solves problems will be neither just nor vibrant, they will be ruled by force.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Nahhhhh....It would be Johnny, Johnny-Jo, Johnny-Beau, Johnny-Sue but never anything as formal as just plain old John. That ain't the hillbilly way.

I don't know, haven't you ever hear that classic Jerry Clower bit about the guy coon hunting, climbs the tree to get the coon and it turns out to be a bobcat?
    He says "Knock 'eem out, John.........."

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I enjoyed the first one, they did a good job of condensing Rand's at times Godawful dialogue into something you could understand. Did they keep switching the actors out? I know the original Dagny kind of became a big star and moved on. Bob Beckel's (The Five on Fox) brother Graham was also in the first one IIRC.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I haven't seen any of the movies, but I did read the book. Not sure I want to see the movies. It might ruin it for me.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Skip the movie, read the book. Read "The Fountainhead" first, it is more approachable.

Also, try to remember that it is fiction.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Skip the movie, read the book. Read "The Fountainhead" first, it is more approachable.

Also, try to remember that it is fiction.

Haven't read Fountainhead, but Atlas Shrugged nearly caused me to lose my job. I was so ticked off about the current state of the world I wasn't pleasant to be around, especially with our management.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Haven't read Fountainhead, but Atlas Shrugged nearly caused me to lose my job. I was so ticked off about the current state of the world I wasn't pleasant to be around, especially with our management.

Atlas Shrugged has had a bigger impact on my life than any other book.

I even include the Bible in there because I was born into a Christian household. I was brought up as a Christian and as such, the Bible never changed my life, as it was my life from birth, lol.

It led me to work for myself and be more prosperous than ever. Would I have been able to see the looter sitting across from me (new vice president) when I made the decision that changed my life for the better before Atlas Shrugged? Possibly but after delving deeply into the minds of different types of looters, I recognized this particular one immediately.

If you really want to see inside the evil and ugly minds of people like finestien, obama or reid or schummer, read the book.

It was written 60~ years ago and, while fiction, is more applicable and apt today than ever.

The movies are nothing compared to the book and as a stand alone, they are in the B grade.... that said I haven't seen the third yet. I will see it though.

Top Bottom