ATF Looking to ban import of certain shotguns- time for public comments ends May 1

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Apologies if this is a repost, but I saw this on another website.

The period for public comments concerning a shotgun importation ban proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives will end on May 1. The time is now to make your voice heard.

A BATFE working group has recommended that any shotgun – including semi-automatic, pump action or any other – having any ONE of ten specific features be banned from importation. They base this on the preposterous position that such shotguns are not “generally recognized as particularly suitable” for sporting purposes.

Comments can be submitted via email to shotgunstudy@atf.gov or by fax to (202) 648-9601.

Let them know that you do not approve of this and that you disagree with their ridiculous position on this.

Here's the ATF publication detailing the 10 features which will result in a shotgun being banned from import due to it's purpose not being "sporting" :xmad:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I believe its BS in its entire effort to determine what is and is not a "sporting" shotgun! Also no where in the 2nd amendment does it say what arms we have the right to bear so I believe the NFA act is unconstitutional too but that jmo.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, I'm thinking of sending with something like:

I've read this sentence over a dozen times and I can't find anything about "sporting purposes". Can you please point that out?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Wait, what about 3-gun matches?

Isn't that a sport?

(edit) I skimmed the pdf, it looks like it's as I thought. The ATF decides what's a sport.

Last edited:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So take the "imported shotgun" and start making it here. No more import, jobs for Americans, everyone wins. This looks at most a stab at trying to stop siaga's and at-14's from getting to civilian hands in an attempt to give police and military an advantage with their AA-12, which is not for sale to civilians.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend

I've read this sentence over a dozen times and I can't find anything about "sporting purposes". Can you please point that out?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Those ****ing bastards. I'll second that idea. I mean, come on, excessive weight? The ATF needs to go down.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Unfortunately, the feds don't give a ding dong about "sporting" or not. Its all about confiscation, one step at a time. Sons ah *@!$@*#!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    This looks at most a stab at trying to stop siaga's and at-14's from getting to civilian hands

In the ATF study paperwork, a Saiga 12 is pictured but not named along next to a number of "sporting" shotguns that are pictured and named. Also, an MD Arms 20 round drum (made in the USA, as in not imported, how can it be evil and why would US made after market parts affect if a gun should be imported or not?!?!) for a Saiga 12 is pictured (stock photo from MD Arms website even) but not named or mentioned what gun it pairs with...

So yes, it is definitely aimed at painting the Saiga 12 as an evil gun that we should all be protected from.

They failed to show us how evil X Rails are. They are american made and cost a few thousand dollars. Apparently the ATF thinks allowing Saiga 12 at 3 gun is like letting the lowly commoners fox hunt with their donkeys and mutts.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Holy ****.... really?

(6) integrated rail systems (other than on top of the receiver or barrel);
    (7) light enhancing devices;

Hmm, this is really bad for everyone. Not like it's the first big flashing red alarm light to go off in recent history though.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    And grenade launcher mounts? Not sporting? WTF? Surely you jest? What could POSSIBLY be more sporting, particularly for fishing?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    And grenade launcher mounts? Not sporting? WTF? Surely you jest? What could POSSIBLY be more sporting, particularly for fishing?
    It's all a part of their plan to increase boating accident related gun losses.

No grenade launchers = more megalodon attacks.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, so I'd like to pose a logical question on this to the ATFE (I know, logic, government, not going to happen) So if a weapon is "military or LE" if it has a capacity of over 5 rounds... that means if they ban any weapon with a cap of over 5 rounds, no one will die from a gun unless by the hand of LE or Military, right? I mean surely this means that you can't kill someone with only 1 round or shell, right? the ATF is #$@*ing nuts!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    OK, so I'd like to pose a logical question on this to the ATFE (I know, logic, government, not going to happen) So if a weapon is "military or LE" if it has a capacity of over 5 rounds... that means if they ban any weapon with a cap of over 5 rounds, no one will die from a gun unless by the hand of LE or Military, right? I mean surely this means that you can't kill someone with only 1 round or shell, right? the ATF is #$@*ing nuts!

Agreed!

Regardless as to whether you use a firearm with a 1 or 10 round capacity, or a knife, or baseball bat, murder is still illegal, so why do the weapons get demonized when it is a person committing the act?

As said many times, we need to get the "F" out of that tax collection agency!

Top Bottom