• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I called Asus today to get a replacement clip for the O key on my Asus notebook. It’s just a simple piece of plastic that attaches under the key to keep it secured on the keyboard. Not a big deal, unless you are missing one.

I talked to the guy from Asus and it was like no big deal. When we got near the end of the call he asked if my laptop was password protected. I told him it was and asked why that mattered since all I needed was this little white clip. He said they would need the password when I sent my laptop in to be fixed. What excuse me, I’m not sending you my laptop. All I need is this little white clip. Apparently Asus will gladly fix my laptop only if I send it to them but they will not just send me this clip.

I bought my laptop right before Christmas so it’s not like the thing is ancient and they need to match it up. I tried telling the guy it was not cost effective to send it in just for this little white clip. I tried to convince him that it would save them lots of money to just send me this clip. Nope, no can do, the only way to get this clip from Asus is to send the laptop in. I asked for a supervisor but he said they couldn’t help me either. So I was not as nice as I usually am and I declined his offer of an RMA.

They guy said they would be sending me a survey to rate my service experience. I can’t wait to fill it out. He was nice but their policies suck. That’s what I plan to tell them.

I checked Ebay and found one I hope will fit for $1.99 shipped. I knew I should have just checked there in the first place just to save the aggravation of calling Asus. I can’t believe they couldn’t just send me the little clip.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I called Asus today to get a replacement clip for the O key on my Asus notebook. It’s just a simple piece of plastic that attaches under the key to keep it secured on the keyboard. Not a big deal, unless you are missing one.

I talked to the guy from Asus and it was like no big deal. When we got near the end of the call he asked if my laptop was password protected. I told him it was and asked why that mattered since all I needed was this little white clip. He said they would need the password when I sent my laptop in to be fixed. What excuse me, I’m not sending you my laptop. All I need is this little white clip. Apparently Asus will gladly fix my laptop only if I send it to them but they will not just send me this clip.

I bought my laptop right before Christmas so it’s not like the thing is ancient and they need to match it up. I tried telling the guy it was not cost effective to send it in just for this little white clip. I tried to convince him that it would save them lots of money to just send me this clip. Nope, no can do, the only way to get this clip from Asus is to send the laptop in. I asked for a supervisor but he said they couldn’t help me either. So I was not as nice as I usually am and I declined his offer of an RMA.

They guy said they would be sending me a survey to rate my service experience. I can’t wait to fill it out. He was nice but their policies suck. That’s what I plan to tell them.

I checked Ebay and found one I hope will fit for $1.99 shipped. I knew I should have just checked there in the first place just to save the aggravation of calling Asus. I can’t believe they couldn’t just send me the little clip.

asus makes good stuff............. but i have heard these kinds of stories about their customer service it just isnt funny

hope your part works!

jake

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm into computer hardware for a living and ASUS warranty issues are a serious PITB. They have a facility down in Jeffersonville, but they won't do any counter transactions there everything has to be by courier. Like strahd71 said, they make great stuff in general, but every other aspect of dealing with them is a real bear.

For a laptop keyboard issue, I would rather just buy the part (even an entire new keyboard only runs ~$25 for most laptops) and replace it myself rather than chance my hardware to their service department. The last time I sent a mainboard there it came back with the northbridge heatsink floating around inside of the box...only 5 weeks after I sent it in. They didn't even fix the blown caps that were the source of the original problem.

If you ever run into a real issue with them, shoot me a PM, I have a contact at the company who can sometimes help to grease the wheels a bit.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm into computer hardware for a living and ASUS warranty issues are a serious PITB. They have a facility down in Jeffersonville, but they won't do any counter transactions there everything has to be by courier. Like strahd71 said, they make great stuff in general, but every other aspect of dealing with them is a real bear.

For a laptop keyboard issue, I would rather just buy the part (even an entire new keyboard only runs ~$25 for most laptops) and replace it myself rather than chance my hardware to their service department. The last time I sent a mainboard there it came back with the northbridge heatsink floating around inside of the box...only 5 weeks after I sent it in. They didn't even fix the blown caps that were the source of the original problem.

If you ever run into a real issue with them, shoot me a PM, I have a contact at the company who can sometimes help to grease the wheels a bit.

Thanks. The guy did give me the option to just send in my keyboard. I declined that as well. Everything else works fine I'd be afraid if I sent it in it would never be the same.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Thanks. The guy did give me the option to just send in my keyboard. I declined that as well. Everything else works fine I'd be afraid if I sent it in it would never be the same.

still not sure why they would have needed to turn it on and have your password? just put the clip and key on and send it out? but of course just send the part but still?

jake

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It's just a standard part of their RMA process to request passwords since they can sometimes be needed for testing certain repairs, so they just ask every time to reduce the potential of needing it and not having it. It's certainly something a lot of logic isn't applied to. If you ever do send in a laptop, I don't care what you're having done, backup your data first (you should be already of course, but make extra sure). I've sent stuff in for things like having a screen or plug adapter replaced and they decided to wipe and restore the hard drive. Not just at Asus but other OEM's like Dell/HP/etc... it's nuts. :)

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    It's just a standard part of their RMA process to request passwords since they can sometimes be needed for testing certain repairs, so they just ask every time to reduce the potential of needing it and not having it. It's certainly something a lot of logic isn't applied to. If you ever do send in a laptop, I don't care what you're having done, backup your data first (you should be already of course, but make extra sure). I've sent stuff in for things like having a screen or plug adapter replaced and they decided to wipe and restore the hard drive. Not just at Asus but other OEM's like Dell/HP/etc... it's nuts. :)

crazy stuff!

jake

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been pretty happy with the Asus that I have. Planning to get another, different, Asus.

The clips are a pain in the butt... I decided to pull up my keys to clean the bed... big mistake.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Uh, yeah, generally leave laptop keys where they are, they're not as easy to put back on as desktop keyboards. :D

Compressed air will usually do a good enough job, if it's anything too messy for that you're using your laptop wrong. ;)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Uh, yeah, generally leave laptop keys where they are, they're not as easy to put back on as desktop keyboards. :D

Compressed air will usually do a good enough job, if it's anything too messy for that you're using your laptop wrong. ;)

I do support work for a giant corporate campus. We don't even try to fix keys that have popped off. Even with a good clip, something on the key itself or on the keyboard base breaks. We just replace the keyboard. We can't even buy clips or keys from HP if we wanted to!

Most times it's not a warranty issue...if you're just typing the keys don't generally break, so we don't even make warranty claims. We just keep extra keyboards on hand to swap out. Someone gave me one with like 8 keys off claiming they didn't know what happened. Looked to me like a kid was playing with it ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

Trust me, I had no intention of taking off any of my keys. I am not that desperate for entertainment. I was holding a skittish cat, something startled it & it jumped on my keyboard. I reacted & yanked the cat off the keyboard. The cat reacted by pulling off two keys and loosening a third. I pulled up the loose key to see how to put the P key back on but I couldn't find the clip to reattach the O key.

I didn't realize how much I use the letter O until I had to type without the key there which means half the time I don't hit it hard enough and have to go back and add the O's in.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a broken H on an HP laptop. Guy could just go to the parts cage, get a keyboard, pop the H off and mail it to me, but no, I have to send the whole laptop in, be without it for three weeks, they'll replace the keyboard and reformat the drive to factory state. I'd already done a lot to that HD, and couldn't convince the guy with the thick Indian accent not to FedEx me a box. I put my "windows" key where the H went until I could find a keyboard. What's that key supposed to do, anyway? The windows one, I mean, I know what the H is for.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is contrary to all my experiences with Asus. I'm not denying it happened, because I'm sure that it did. I'm just saying that in the past I have aways been satisfied with Asus, whether it be a product purchased, or customer service. Maybe you just got a poor representative? Hopefully, your part works. If not, I'd say try back again. In my experience Asus will bend over backwards to help a customer.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I bought an Asus that came with a mad mb. Sent it to them twice without successful repairs until my friend took a look at it and diagnosed within an hour. Probably not buying Asus again.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

You don't replace the caps yourself?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You don't replace the caps yourself?

I have replaced a couple in my time, but if it's in warranty and there's no serious need to have it done ASAP, I would rather send it in and let them assume the risk of permanently breaking it. Plus if it turns out to have additional problems, then you're on the hook for those too since you've rather obviously voided the warranty.

Top Bottom