• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You can't go wrong with a Arsenal but get your wallet at the ready. I had a SGL-21 (Russian) but sold it and purchased a SLR-107FR (Bulgarian) side folder. It never misses a beat and is accurate for what it is. I don't forsee it going anywhere in the near or distant future.

The plastic furniture is what it is and some like it and some don't. I'm on the fence about it as I really do prefer the good ol' wood furniture but I can live with it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Arsenals are the best example of a ready-to-go AK you can get in the US. If you want something of comparable quality to a basic AR15, an arsenal is about the only game in town. Expect to pay more for an AK of a comparable quality level to a basic AR15.

If you want a higher end AK, you'll need to look at rifle dynamics, but get ready to spend quite a bit and wait awhile.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I am a really big fan of their rifles. Currently, I don't know of anything that is readily available in the US that's better. Yes, they're more expensive than some but that's how things tend to work when you want a quality product. I don't understand why people compare them in price to a remanufactured (and often cobbled together) parts gun or an AR-15. Some Lego sets are more difficult to put together than an AR, and most of the parts are plastic, cast aluminum, etc..... An AK takes a lot more skill to build well, and many other firearm makes use things like stamped receivers (such as HK) without a stigma. I strongly encourage you to buy one and experience the difference from the other stuff on the gun store shelves.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How many "oh my ar won't feed" or " oh my ar is jamming" or " will my ar cycle with this or that?" Or " how cheap of an ar can I build but still expect $1500 ar results?"

i rarely see an ak problem thread unless it's due to some idiot building it which includes some companies. I have AR's I know will not fail me but I have $1500 plus in them. I can buy a (now) $500 ak and know it won't fail me even if I try to make it fail.
    best gun ever invented in my opinion.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    I have owned an SGL-21-41 and it operated flawlessly, but as most have already said...get ready to pay for it. Also, the most common complaint I have encountered, besides the price, would be the finish as the paint is not particularly durable.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have owned an SGL-21-41 and it operated flawlessly, but as most have already said...get ready to pay for it. Also, the most common complaint I have encountered, besides the price, would be the finish as the paint is not particularly durable.
    yes the finish is not durable. Personally I like this because it's true to form for commy guns. The nastier they look the sexier it is :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have owned various AKs from different importers and different countries including, Romanian WASRs, CAI Imported Yugos, TGI Imported Hungarian AMD, A couple of Saigas, and most recently two Bulgarian Arsenals an SLR-107CR and a SAM-7SF84. The only two I still own are the Arsenals. Best AKs an American shooter can buy for the money today, in my experience. Of course I wasn't really alive or if I was I wasn't old enough to see the hay day of AK imports. But the Bulgarian made guns are awesome for sure.

The only trouble I have had with either of them was on the SLR-107's trigger. If you tried to slow shoot it, and squeeze the trigger and let it back slowly to try to feel the reset then sometimes it wouldn't reset. But if you just yanked the trigger and let it fly forward it would reset just fine. I found there as a bur on the trigger and after dry firing it several hundred times and shooting it some more the trigger is smooth and resets just fine now.

The SAM-7 is the my current favorite rifle. I have never felt an AK so smooth nor shot one that was what I would call better than "battle" accurate. This one however is both smooth as silk and as accurate as any other auto loading rifle I have ever shot.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have a SLR-107FR that I am really happy with. I hadn't heard any issues with the finish until after I had purchased it. Kind of a bummer due to the price that they bring, but I guess that is one of the easier things to remedy.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Thanks again for all of the feedback. I've been in touch with Rifle Dynamics. I decided to go with the following:

RD 710P (Pistol) | Rifle Dynamics

Those are the best guys to build an AK.

Here are a couple pics of my Arsenal SLR-106FR, side folder chambered in 5.56mm

attachment.php

attachment.php

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have an Arsenal 107 side folder that has been to Jim Fuller for a tune up, and it is one of my favorite guns I own. For me, it's been money well spent and worth it!

Top Bottom