Armed robbery @ CVS in Bloomington - what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Humorous, I actually have a conceal carry permit for Illinois and being from Chicago I know too well the bs associated with gun laws. The point of my post was that the first 3 hits on google should not be a "what if" scenario. That looks really bad for people who do not understand guns. This is the reason why I refuse to hunt or shoot in the midwest. People are more worried about the "what if" then walking away. Trust me I used to get turned on to this **** too, when I was like 13...
    Huh, I didn't think they were even issuing yet. Okay, but a discussion of "what ifs" in a gun forum shouldn't be all that alarming. It certainly isn't unusual. There are some cowboys of course. But people with an interest in self-defense discussing a possible self-defense situation on a forum dedicated to guns and self-defense? What's the hubbub, bub?

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I posted this in another similar thread I still feel I is my best course of action..............
    While being a super trooper cape crusader packing krypto-glock sound soo cool to some the truth is.....Not worth the trouble to inject myself into a theft that really is not my problem. I am past caring about this dirt bag stealing from meglomart and truth is in my town the clerk is more likely an Obozo voter who has no respect for me or my safety so oh well.... That said if dipstick petty criminal wants to step it up and pose a threat to me or mine well that makes it the day I pray never happens. I pray the lord makes my hand fast and my aim keen and all my training and determination to protect those I love bursts forth in overwhelming violence.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You be sure to let us know what grade you get on your IU school project. Is this for a journalism class, or some type of new media class?
    What is the title? Is it something like "How to stir up **** on a Internet forum"?

Contrary to popular belief not all of IU is a bunch of screaming liberals....

cmax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2014
    Bloomington
    You be sure to let us know what grade you get on your IU school project. Is this for a journalism class, or some type of new media class?
    What is the title? Is it something like "How to stir up **** on a Internet forum"?

Trust me the IU Journalism school is more focused on bs surrounding students strikes then gun issues. I am actually a history major, focusing on US History and US involvement in Latin and Central America, I posted on this forum because it popped up as a top 3 hits on google. And for a grade, I'd give myself a passing grade in pissing off old farts! Apparently being a gun owner and having thoughts unlike some cowboys is wrong. And I am a little eager, Chicago just passed a concealed carry in the first week of January. I have taken the 16 hr class, I just need to go back to Illinois and finalize my papers. All the fun foid card and other Illinois gun rules.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    What did you type in your google search box? What did you expect to turn up? You will have to try a little harder to **** off us bunch of old farts. We practice on each other all the time and are use to a lot of BS. Anyway, good luck with your IL carry permit or whatever they call it. You get points for that.

Trust me the IU Journalism school is more focused on bs surrounding students strikes then gun issues. I am actually a history major, focusing on US History and US involvement in Latin and Central America, I posted on this forum because it popped up as a top 3 hits on google. And for a grade, I'd give myself a passing grade in pissing off old farts! Apparently being a gun owner and having thoughts unlike some cowboys is wrong. And I am a little eager, Chicago just passed a concealed carry in the first week of January. I have taken the 16 hr class, I just need to go back to Illinois and finalize my papers. All the fun foid card and other Illinois gun rules.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I posted this in another similar thread I still feel I is my best course of action..............
    While being a super trooper cape crusader packing krypto-glock sound soo cool to some the truth is.....Not worth the trouble to inject myself into a theft that really is not my problem. I am past caring about this dirt bag stealing from meglomart and truth is in my town the clerk is more likely an Obozo voter who has no respect for me or my safety so oh well.... That said if dipstick petty criminal wants to step it up and pose a threat to me or mine well that makes it the day I pray never happens. I pray the lord makes my hand fast and my aim keen and all my training and determination to protect those I love bursts forth in overwhelming violence.

A main point of the original post was to AVOID unnecessarily injecting oneself into a situation to stop a dirtbag from stealing cigs or money. It's not about being a super trooper/cape crusader. That should be obvious from scenarios 2, 3, and 4 in particular in which I advocated staying out of the situation. Of course it's not worth risking your life for someone stealing cigs from CVS. But if someone comes in and points a gun in your face, don't you think you just might consider defending yourself? You're carrying a gun for a reason, aren't you? Obviously anything that can be done to not have to use force would be the ideal.

As for cmax's comments, as others like Birds Away above have said, posting about scenarios is a common thing on forums like this. It's not "fantasy," as you say, but could potentially be a situation in which you find yourself someday. In fact, such scenarios are the basis of all Force on Force training, such as the classes offered by Mindset Laboratory in Indy that put you in such situations and make you deal with it appropriately. Why do the top firearms trainers offer these types of classes? Because they put you under stress and make you make decisions, for better or for worse, before you get into a real situation with your life on the line. And everyone in these classes makes mistakes and learns something from them. If you never think about potential situations, and you never draw your line in the sand that would cause you to use or prevent you from using deadly force, how are you going to do so when your body dumps adrenaline in your system and you lose your ability to think critically? As my friend who is former SWAT told me, "carving the neural pathways" with mental practice and having a good mindset are crucial to surviving under combat stress.

cmax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2014
    Bloomington
    What did you type in your google search box? What did you expect to turn up? You will have to try a little harder to **** off us bunch of old farts. We practice on each other all the time and are use to a lot of BS. Anyway, good luck with your IL carry permit or whatever they call it. You get points for that.

All I can say that whoever runs this site does a damn good job of google search engine optimization! You guys ranked above the IDS, and all the Bloomington newspapers for the incident! Since I am just getting used to this forum is there a page that has hotspots for ammo etc? I have been trying to hunt down some 22 ammo for a few months. Thanks

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    All I can say that whoever runs this site does a damn good job of google search engine optimization! You guys ranked above the IDS, and all the Bloomington newspapers for the incident! Since I am just getting used to this forum is there a page that has hotspots for ammo etc? I have been trying to hunt down some 22 ammo for a few months. Thanks

We have a lot of activity on the board.. it tends to rank pretty high on any search result.

Also, they quit making .22LR like, 12 months ago.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Jesus guys, give the student a break.

I've lived in Bloomington off/on for several years, I can confirm there are a lot of good folk and reasonable gun owners there. Well before I got my first gun, my upstair neighbor in the ****ty Jackson Height apartments on 17th told me he carried and showed me his gun. That was years ago. Also hung out with some good ol' country boys up there who did nothing but target shoot and hunt. Lots of good people up there, and I still look forward to visiting the city from time to time to visit my buddies who live/work there. (Well, they live out of the city limits in the country where you can have bonfires and gun fire in the back yard...) :)

EDIT: BACK ON TOPIC. There are a lot of ****-heads up that way, though. What would I have done? What, as a clerk? As a bystander? It's a ****ty low paying job, as a clerk I'd just give him his smokes and money. Not gonna risk MY life over some temporary low-paying non-career based job. As a bystander? Probably duck and cover. I like shooting paper targets at the range and shooting cans of a log in the woods. I'm not a great shot, and unless my life is danger I'm not gonna start firing at bad guys knowing that I could very well miss one and either put my own life at risk or accidentally pop someone by mistake because I am all flustered and not thinking straight.

So, comply as a clerk or do nothing as a bystander other than be a witness.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    We have a lot of activity on the board.. it tends to rank pretty high on any search result.

Also, they quit making .22LR like, 12 months ago.

FYI, cmax, since you're new, when people write in purple text on this forum it indicates sarcasm.

There's a website that is great for finding ammo online, as it compiles a ton of different sites. 22lr ammo rimfire Here it will show you what's available and how recently the info was updated for whatever caliber you put in. It also shows total price and price per round. Very helpful for finding ammo online and sorting through it easily. I set the link for 22lr since that's what you're looking for, and it appears to be available in some places but at a high cost (pushing $100 per brick of 500). There was also a site an INGOer created that pulls together walmart ammo availability info for different stores. But I can't remember what it's called. If you search for it on INGO you may find it. There's also a sticky in the Ammunition and Reloading forum in which people post what they find at area stores (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/78409-get-your-ammo-here.html). Just go to the last page for the most recent. Also, I'm at IUB as well and agree that not everyone is a crazy liberal, though it often feels like it. There are some other IUB people on INGO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Just a silly suggestion, but maybe you should just start over? Introduce yourself in the howdy thread, join some discussions where you ARE NOT trashing other members, that kind of thing. There are forum rules that would be well worth giving a read also.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

With this much organic content, we are self optimizing. :):

Just a silly suggestion, but maybe you should just start over? Introduce yourself in the howdy thread, join some discussions where you ARE NOT trashing other members, that kind of thing. There are forum rules that would be well worth giving a read also.

I agree. A rough start but given your coherent replies, you arent a TOTAL raving lunatic. (unlike several here :):)

I'll be the first to say :welcome:. Pull up a chair and stay a while. We can be ornery, but overall a good group of folks. Just watch out for bunnies and monkeys. Cant trust any of them. ;)

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    As I said............That said if dipstick petty criminal wants to step it up and pose a threat to me or mine well that makes it the day I pray never happens. I pray the lord makes my hand fast and my aim keen and all my training and determination to protect those I love bursts forth in overwhelming violence.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Humorous, I actually have a conceal carry permit for Illinois and being from Chicago I know too well the bs associated with gun laws. The point of my post was that the first 3 hits on google should not be a "what if" scenario. That looks really bad for people who do not understand guns. This is the reason why I refuse to hunt or shoot in the midwest. People are more worried about the "what if" then walking away. Trust me I used to get turned on to this **** too, when I was like 13...
    How long have you had your Illinois concealed carry permit?

cmax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2014
    Bloomington
    FYI, cmax, since you're new, when people write in purple text on this forum it indicates sarcasm.

There's a website that is great for finding ammo online, as it compiles a ton of different sites. 22lr ammo rimfire Here it will show you what's available and how recently the info was updated for whatever caliber you put in. It also shows total price and price per round. Very helpful for finding ammo online and sorting through it easily. I set the link for 22lr since that's what you're looking for, and it appears to be available in some places but at a high cost (pushing $100 per brick of 500). There was also a site an INGOer created that pulls together walmart ammo availability info for different stores. But I can't remember what it's called. If you search for it on INGO you may find it. There's also a sticky in the Ammunition and Reloading forum in which people post what they find at area stores (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/78409-get-your-ammo-here.html). Just go to the last page for the most recent. Also, I'm at IUB as well and agree that not everyone is a crazy liberal, though it often feels like it. There are some other IUB people on INGO.

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to chase down 22 rounds forever it seems. Also nice to know there are some more IUB people on here. Fellas, I appreciate the welcome. Will take full advantage of this forum.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    17 year old with a BB gun:

Teen facing adult charge in armed robbery of CVS - HeraldTimesOnline: Police, Crimes, Fires And Emergencies (subscription)

The 17-year-old faces charges in Hendricks County for that incident, and he also was charged Monday in Monroe Circuit Court with the Feb. 16 armed robbery of the CVS at 2650 S. Walnut St. Just after 9 p.m., two men entered the store and one displayed a black handgun and took $160 and two cartons of cigarettes worth $120. They were in the store about one minute...

...The gun used in the robbery turned out to be a Daisy Powerline 340 .177-caliber BB gun, according to police investigating the case. Jacob is being charged as an adult because of the use of a weapon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by cmax
    Humorous, I actually have a conceal carry permit for Illinois and being from Chicago I know too well the bs associated with gun laws.

How long have you had your Illinois concealed carry permit?

I'll be a little less coy. So you say you've had your IL CCW HOW long again? This is why he asked...

Illinois concealed carry permits ready for issue | abc7chicago.com

Given the story above, I'll be the first to outright call :bs:. But by all means, if I am incorrect please let me know how you managed to get yours before they even started issuing them.

Top Bottom