Armed robbery @ CVS in Bloomington - what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Armed robbery reported at CVS | Region | Indiana Daily Student

What would you do in the following variations on this scenario (assuming you're carrying)? Assume you're alone and the situation is as described in the article. Two guys. One handgun. No other CC/OCers that you can see.

1) You're paying when they walk in, coming right toward you at the register with a gun out.

For me, this is the most likely for a draw and fire scenario. However, they've got the drop on you by already having their gun out. Tough to say and is situation dependent.

2) You're in a nearby aisle browsing and hear the racket and have cover with a view toward the register. They don't see you or at least don't see you as a threat enough to care.

In this scenario I think I would take cover and draw/sight-in and watch it unfold. As long as the clerk is not attacked and they just want money, I'd probably let it happen and call the cops. I don't want to risk my life or the clerk's if all they want is money and are gone.

3) You enter the store as they are robbing the clerk, not having seen them enter.

In this scenario, it seems like blocking them in with a drawn weapon or beginning a gunfight is too dangerous for you, especially since they're more likely to engage in a gunfight to get out around you before getting arrested or killed. I'd just stay outside at the ready around the corner or in my car in case something goes down and call the cops.

4) You pull up and park, and see them entering with a gun visible while you're still in your car.

I'd call the cops and stay in my car and be there as a witness when the cops arrive.

I welcome your thoughts.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    There are always too many unknown variables to really even comment on these.

I understand that there are unknown variables, but that doesn't mean we should never think about scenarios or that they can't be helpful. Pick some variables and run with it. I just clarified a few at the top of the OP. You're alone (no wife and kids). Two guys. One handgun. No other armed citizens that you're aware of. Situation as described in the article.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    "The man in the orange hoodie revealed a handgun to the store clerk while the man in the letter jacket walked behind the counter and stole cash and cigarettes."

You got to be kidding me, committ a felony for cigarettes?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Anything you say will and can be used against you in a court of law. In the very unlikely situation I have to defend myself or family I'm not going to comment on this or any other hypothetical scenarios, before everyone jump on the tinfoil hat band wagon, just image what a decent defense lawyer can do with your post about a SD situation and what you would do in advance.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Anything you say will and can be used against you in a court of law. In the very unlikely situation I have to defend myself or family I'm not going to comment on this or any other hypothetical scenarios, before everyone jump on the tinfoil hat band wagon, just image what a decent defense lawyer can do with your post about a SD situation and what you would do in advance.

Good point. Hadn't thought about it that way, but that makes a lot of sense.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington

"Your Honor the defense stipulates that any scenario based training or contemplation of such would constitute prima facie evidence of intent to murder random individuals, but the defendant has neither received nor contemplated such. In fact the defendant carries a personal firearm solely as ballast should he fall into the water during an unfortunate boating accident."

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll tell you this much. I'm not playing Wyatt Earp in order to save the daily receipts at CVS. Unless I'm threatened or they start harming innocents I'm just a fly on the wall.

coday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Syracuse
    If i was paying when they entered i would wait until they had all focus on the cashier then draw on them. If i was in the aisle over i would draw and be ready but wouldnt confront them unless they started to harm someone.

Mossberg84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I'll tell you this much. I'm not playing Wyatt Earp in order to save the daily receipts at CVS. Unless I'm threatened or they start harming innocents I'm just a fly on the wall.

I'm with you, if they want to take money let them have it. If they have a gun drawn already its not like I can draw mine and shoot before they can take a shot.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    So, that could be said about any formal training that you took prior to the incident. You are just putting in writing, what you would do if you were ever in that situation. Defense and going to be so far up your rear, looking for anything to discredit you! That's just the chance you take!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Situation one: Hold my hand up and say, "Hey man, I'm on your side. I voted for Obama too."

Other situations, be a good witness and call 911.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When it flies, most everybody gets a whiff. Witness before action, until it has become apparent to be going South. Good luck. My training will not allow me to herded, kneeled down, or family. Hope you gave all the goodbyes, and a hug.

We have a code word, that upon said, Wifey grabs kids, and immediately goes the opposite direction. Simply: It's on, book away.

Top Bottom