• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm FOR Shrome and against Chicago in this case. Regardless of the mistakes he made.
    It's too easy to make mistakes across the nation wrt gun laws.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I would like to be on his side but guys like this (ignorante of the laws) don't help us and they HURT us.

I was at the taste yesterday and could have walked right in with a concealed gun. Security at the north end was checking backpacks only- no purses, no persons.

AFAIK, NO you cannot even drive through the city with a pistol in the car, unloaded, ammo separated and locked up...

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I feel sorry for him, but then you would think being informed enough to get licensed in one state, one would check others to avoid problems. That said, it sounds like the police over reacted.

It's a shame that we risk serious violation of the law simply by crossing a line on the map. I live somewhat close to the border and a wrong turn can have you across that line quickly in some places.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I am glad to see someone checked up on the facts of the story I am personally sorry and apologies for my implications .taking the attitude that he might have been a gang banger was on my part raciest I should watch how i throw people into groups .He is a legal weapon carrier and we need to back that.:xmad:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i read about this on ARF.com i cant say i feel bad for the guy. it was his responsibility to know the laws if he is going to carry. and i would have thought that any pro-2A would know that Illinois sucks. i dont agree with their laws, but i choose not to go there either.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a tough situation for Shrome. I really feel bad that no one ever told him about the laws and that he never thought to find out on his own.
    It's a failing of our system(educational and licensing) that the realization is never expressed or taught that the permit issued by our soverign state may or may not be recognized by other soverign states. License to drive, license to carry. To the uninformed, the vast difference in the two is not as clear as it is to all of us on this board. I know nothing from the State when you get the permit puts it in clear language. You have to seek the info on your own. My LTCH came with a firearm safety brochure that was run off on a copy machine. Wouldn't it be possible to put a notice about reciprosity in theier as well?

As for my opinion , here's some questions that should be asked.
    How many Hoosiers are killed by Illinois licensed drivers each year?
    (I would actually like to know this. Anyone know?)
    How many Illinnoyingans are killed by licensed Hoosier gun carriers? (I think I know this - ZERO)

Personally I think Indiana should recind recognition of Illinois drivers licenses. Illinois residents cannot be trusted with 4000+lb death machines on our highways. Any of you who drive in the northwest corner of our state will agree with me. These people, while licensed in their state, are a menace to public safety. They need to be pulled from their cars, arrested in front of their kids, have their property impounded and criminal charges filed. What goes around comes around. [rant off]

:ingo:

Last edited:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Maybe if Shrome did not look like a gangbanger he would not have been treated so roughly. Not saying it's right, just saying. Sounds like a good guy that made a big mistake.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    We also have to remember that most gun owners and carry permit holders never go on the internet for gun information. All they know is from their course and that's it.

Just like a state dropped 2 states that people could carry from. 90% of all permit holders will never know it was dropped. Not this year and not 20 years from now.

This would have been his fault, but it's easy to see how something like this could happen. Maybe his friends didn't know he had a firearm on him. They decided to go someplace so he thought he'd wing it and they wouldn't pat him down or wand him etc. How many people in every state carry in post offices, and other places they shouldn't but just wing it and take the chance?

I would think everyone would know that IL is an anti gun state, but sadly they don't. My g/f's family didn't even know what I was talking about when I told them they were an anti-gun state and that's why I didn't like them. Even when I said they had less rights in some states they were oblivious and thought I was crazy. (They are also from IL).

Someone I know in WI thought he could carry in any state since a permit is not needed in WI. He's 50 years old and has been a union worker most of his life and works hard. He's not stupid either. Listens to talk radio daily.

In the end it is up to us to know the laws, however I'm simply pointing out that since guns are taboo they are not talked about much. When I get to different states they inform me of the driving laws in most new visitor areas, but I've never seen any states listing what carry permits they accept.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    should we start a Shrome George legal defense fund? every one throw in $10 bucks so he can get a decent lawyer. the tackling business is getting old. these guys think they were being filmed for COPS? Wanted to look real tough? Any way, we should give the Shrome George Defense Fund some thought, imo.

there are 4,700+ members on this forum. $10 a piece, = $47k... ought to help with the defense of a licensed Indiana gunowner. Birds of a feather and all.

just an idea.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    should we start a Shrome George legal defense fund? every one throw in $10 bucks so he can get a decent lawyer. the tackling business is getting old. these guys think they were being filmed for COPS? Wanted to look real tough? Any way, we should give the Shrome George Defense Fund some thought, imo.

there are 4,700+ members on this forum. $10 a piece, = $47k... ought to help with the defense of a licensed Indiana gunowner. Birds of a feather and all.

just an idea.

I would toss in some money. Paypal donation site.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe we should send him a copy of the states gun laws book
    just throw that in with your $10 donation.
    :ingo:

kidding i got yer :noway: vote on the defense fund idea.

i think it would be a good way to promote the site and the quality free education that it affords to people. especially about gun laws. 10% of proceeds go to INGO for administration...

again, just an idea. could be a gap-bridger.

i'm leaving this ball here for an INGO official to run with if they care to.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    They're always there when you need them. (un)Fortunately noone needs them in this instance...

:):

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Anybody that lives 40 miles from Chicago, and thinks they can carry there on their Indiana LTCH is way too stupid to be packin' anyway. What else about the laws on self-defense dosn't he know? Maybe this is the least painfull way for Shrome to get an education, and probably good for the public at large. After Chicago gets done with him, he won't need to know the legalities of carrying anywhere.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Anybody that lives 40 miles from Chicago, and thinks they can carry there on their Indiana LTCH is way too stupid to be packin' anyway. What else about the laws on self-defense dosn't he know? Maybe this is the least painfull way for Shrome to get an education, and probably good for the public at large. After Chicago gets done with him, he won't need to know the legalities of carrying anywhere.

Ouch, but very true.

Top Bottom