• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    What about the link to the article where a lesbian is suing a Muslim barber for not cutting her hair? Does she have the right to force him?

Ok, I want to reiterate that i don't believe that private business owners should be compelled to provide service to anyone for any reason. However, since we do have gov't protected classes, yes the Muslim barber should have to provide service to the lesbian.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, I want to reiterate that i don't believe that private business owners should be compelled to provide service to anyone for any reason. However, since we do have gov't protected classes, yes the Muslim barber should have to provide service to the lesbian.

So who is the greater victim? Muslims see feminism and homosexuality as being western oppression of them.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Would this right to refuse service also apply to essential services and products? Food and gas for example? What if I'm the only gas station in town do I have the right not to sell to a certain segment of the population? I driven through some towns with only one gas station, so going somewhere else isn't an option.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    So who is the greater victim? Muslims see feminism and homosexuality as being western oppression of them.

It's not about being a victim. It's about equal protection under the law. Muslims are free to believe whatever they want, but under our current laws, business owners can't discriminate based on race, gender, and several other criteria. If we are going to protect those classes then sexual orientation should be protected as well.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I personally think businesses should be allowed to "discriminate" against anyone they want. If you don't want to serve "the white/black man" by all means don't, if you don't want to serve members of a particular religion, that's fine too. If enough members of the general public disagree with your stance, you may soon find yourself out of business, but hey, that's capitalism. Owning a business should not disqualify you from the private property rights everyone else enjoys.

My personal disagreement with this bill is that it needs to exist in the first place, I can't believe we're in a position where someone can be forced to do business with someone else.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Believe it or not, I truly get what you are saying. If I owned a business, I would want the right to refuse service to someone, not because they are straight, gay, black, white, etc, but mainly due to the fact they are a douchebag. Ayway, I just think that if they want to pass a law to support that, why not just pass a bill that allows people to reserve the right to refuse service, without specifically singling out anyone? I think it would have more merit. Just my :twocents:.

Did you read the bill? Not one place in the legislation mentioned homosexuals, or any other group of people for that matter. It simply stated that you couldn't be compelled to sell goods or services to anyone if it violated your religious beliefs.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not about being a victim. It's about equal protection under the law. Muslims are free to believe whatever they want, but under our current laws, business owners can't discriminate based on race, gender, and several other criteria. If we are going to protect those classes then sexual orientation should be protected as well.

Remember that religion is also a protected class.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Would this right to refuse service also apply to essential services and products? Food and gas for example? What if I'm the only gas station in town do I have the right not to sell to a certain segment of the population? I driven through some towns with only one gas station, so going somewhere else isn't an option.

Yes, and people would have the right to not use your station forcing you out of business. I certainly wouldn't patronize a business that would discriminate based on skin color, I'd be a lot more likely to actively protest it.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon

Capitalism usually solves this problem. Business's that discriminate create an opportunity for new business that doesn't. Doesn't always work out perfectly, but I believe suffering some discrimination is better than having the gov't dictate who private business must serve. A better way to handle it would be for gov't to incentivise non-discrimination. You serve everyone regardless of race, gender, etc you pay 5% business tax. You discriminate against one or more classes, you pay 15%. Your choice.

edit: Regarding the bolded, I didn't really think that through and it's probably a bad idea. Would lead to a slippery slope where the discriminating company is taxed at 95% and it would have the same effect as current laws---Either serve all protected classes or you're out of business. So, probably not a good idea.

Last edited:

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon

Protected class means you can't be discriminated against, not that you're free to discriminate against others. Just to be clear, a gay person offering to pay a Christian for his services isn't discrimination.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I remember a time when the gays werent all in your face about it... can we go back to that time?

Let them have their civil union protections like straight folk get with their marriage license and I bet a lot of them would hush up along with us straight folk that do not care if they get those same legal protections. The ones complaining about the cake are just flaming assbags trying to prove a point and make the news. I have left gun shops never to return because of bad service, what is the difference?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

To push this point further, since religion IS a protected class, should a wedding photographer who is a Christian be forced by penalty of law to go to and photograph a Wiccan wedding or whatever equivalent they would have?

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Should a black baker be forced to make a cake for the Grand Dragon of the KKK with KKK and swasticas on it

So, gay owned businesses should also be forced to work with say, the Westboro Baptist Church..
    They have to now!!! Of course unless Mr Holder says its only law for some and not all!

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I remember a time when the gays werent all in your face about it... can we go back to that time?

I remember a time when blacks knew their place and treated whites with deference and respect. They weren't all in your face regarding equal educational and employment opportunities. Can we go back to that time?

No, no we can't, sorry.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I see it as if you are going to discriminate against customers based on gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation, you probably shouldn't be in business. Money is always green.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sure are a lot of INGO fans of anti discrimination laws aimed to protect gun owners. What happened to the business owners property rights there?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    At least they're being consistent. If I own a business and I can't discriminate against blacks, women, or disabled people, I shouldn't be able to discriminate against gays either. I don't know what religious freedom has to do with any of it, it's about property rights. I'm a libertarian, so I don't believe in any gov't protected classes, but if you're going to protect gender, race, etc, it makes sense to protect sexual orientation as well. The thing they all have in common is that people are born that way, they don't choose to be female, black, disabled, or gay.
    Wow! :ugh:Born that way

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Should a black baker be forced to make a cake for the Grand Dragon of the KKK with KKK and swasticas on it

So, gay owned businesses should also be forced to work with say, the Westboro Baptist Church..

The law's the law.

As they say, one sure way to get bad laws repealed is to strictly enforce it.

Top Bottom